The Student Room Group

Is Twilight worth reading?

My taste in literature is fairly highbrow, but I do enjoy less deep but nevertheless very interesting series such as Harry Potter. I'm also a fan of fantasy novels.

The Twilight series is crazily popular - which makes me think I should read it. But a lot of the things I've heard about it make it sound ridiculous to me. Isn't the premise about how some really old vampire falls in love with a teenage girl? Is the story just about their romance?

What I want to know is, is there any depth to the story and are the 'intellectual' criticisms of it unfair? Are there any allegories bubbling under the surface? Are there many/any deep points to be understood about human nature and society except the damning fact that people read it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes
no
3nTr0pY
My taste in literature is fairly highbrow, but I do enjoy less deep but nevertheless very interesting series such as Harry Potter. I'm also a fan of fantasy novels.

The Twilight series is crazily popular - which makes me think I should read it. But a lot of the things I've heard about it make it sound ridiculous to me. Isn't the premise about how some really old vampire falls in love with a teenage girl? Is the story just about their romance?

What I want to know is, is there any depth to the story and are the 'intellectual' criticisms of it unfair? Are there any allegories bubbling under the surface? Are there many/any deep points to be understood about human nature and society except the damning fact that people read it?

Why don't you just try it? I personally hated it and didn't bother finishing it it was that awful (the only book other than the 4th Harry Potter that I have not finished reading). As you can see we probably don't have the exact same taste in books considering I think HP isn't too great tbh... (although I did enjoy the first 3, just the 4th bored me and I didn't bother to read the rest). No one on here will be able to tell you whether you'll like something though. Just buy the first one (or go to the library and get it) and just see if you enjoy it. You don't have to carry on reading it if you don't.
Reply 4
If you want a light, slightly humerous book to read in a few days then yes they're worth reading but if your looking for a deep and meaningful book, i'd look else where.
Nope, totally not worth it. I'm the same as you, I was curious to see why everyone liked it but it's awful - at least half the book is devoted to physical descriptions of Edward and the two of them sitting around caressing each other and declaring their undying love.

The film on the other hand, is perhaps one of the funniest things I've ever seen :p:
Its vampire erotica that girls like to touch themselves too. Borow it from a library and run with it if you want, but there are much better books out their. Just look at the "Top 100 book" list on tsr.
Reply 7
moomin_love
Why don't you just try it? I personally hated it and didn't bother finishing it it was that awful (the only book other than the 4th Harry Potter that I have not finished reading). As you can see we probably don't have the exact same taste in books considering I think HP isn't too great tbh... (although I did enjoy the first 3, just the 4th bored me and I didn't bother to read the rest). No one on here will be able to tell you whether you'll like something though. Just buy the first one (or go to the library and get it) and just see if you enjoy it. You don't have to carry on reading it if you don't.

What I like about Harry Potter, despite its thematic weaknesses (especially in the last book OMG), is that it has very nice attention to detail and a vast array of real characters who you can connect to. And a decent (albeit somewhat flawed) plot.

Maybe I will borrow it...even though in my mind I'm pretty certain I'll hate it. I guess I'll have to smuggle it out of the library when noone's looking! :p:
Reply 8
'Better than Finnegans Wake' - Daily Telegraph

'Such literary heights may never be scaled again' - Daily Mail

'Most dramatic revolution in literature since Homer' - Guardian

'load of ****' - everyone else
Reply 9
Try reading it and see if you like it yourself, most libraries will have a copy and I've even seen a Twilight book in a charity shop. Me and my friend usually like similar books, but I didn't like Twilight whereas she loved it :p: So it seems to appeal to an odd mix of people.
Reply 10
yes.
you may enjoy it.
personally i hated it, but a lot of my friends adore it. i have never come across a woman who uses so many descriptive words in my life...
3nTr0pY

It's worth a read just to see what all the fuss is about tbh...i would recommend the Sookie Stackhouse True Blood books more tho. :cool:
Reply 12
It's a load of drivel about obsessive love, and I couldn't help crticizing it as I read it, but I read them all nonetheless.It's enjoyable if you want to switch off your brain.

That may be due to the fact that I read anything I can get my hands on,irregardless of how bad it is.
Reply 13
Read Dracula instead. If further incentive is needed than the pleasure gained fom reading such a ******* great book, i'll rep you if you do.
In my opinion, nope..
Yes, read it if you haven't seen the films.
I read the books and loved them, then I saw the films. Now I think Twilight is gaayayyy.
Reply 16
Raddi
It's a load of drivel about obsessive love, and I couldn't help crticizing it as I read it, but I read them all nonetheless.It's enjoyable if you want to switch off your brain.

That may be due to the fact that I read anything I can get my hands on,irregardless of how bad it is.

I hate that. I'm the kind of person who analyses everything and I always try to understand the deeper meaning in the books I read. On one level, books have to be fun to read - but if that's all you get out of it I feel like it's a bit of a waste. The best books shift your paradigm, they make you look at the world in a different light.

Btw, it's 'regardless', not 'irregardless'. Not that it matters, I just find it entertaining spotting things like that. :wink:
Reply 17
Raddi
.It's enjoyable if you want to switch off your brain.

Why on earth would you want to do such an awful thing?
Reply 18
Yeah it is - you don't get Kristen Stewart's annoying breathing.
Reply 19
RealityIsDull
It's worth a read just to see what all the fuss is about tbh...i would recommend the Sookie Stackhouse True Blood books more tho. :cool:

Awwwwww, reality isn't dull! The more I learn about it, the crazier it becomes!

I love fantasy. But only because fantasy says so much about reality.

Latest

Trending

Trending