The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Omg? Do you not have laws against that kind of thing in your country, or is she just like, really, really stupid?

It's possible they won't try to contact the referee, but even so, I'm sure they do have people who can spot fake references, and if she was stupid enough to do this in the first place, she's probably stupid enough to have not written her reference well enough to hide that it is fake. If she gets caught ucas will probably alert the police.

Tell her to withdraw her application and do it again properly, with a real reference, before it's too late.
Reply 2
Where has she applied to, and for what course?
Reply 3
She has to withdrawn her application now!
If not UCAS will withdrawn by itself when it finds out.
This means your sister just waste a year! She won't be able to apply until 2007!
Reply 4
i tolled her that, and she dint listen :cool:

did ucas contact your referees?
It isn't UCAS who would do the contacting - it is the institutions applied to.

As you apply to more and more prestigious universities who tend to make fewer offers, when they decide they want to make an offer, they will often contact personal referees - just to be sure.
Reply 6
Here is the process:
You send your apps with your reference (this will only be stuff the teachers say about you which include: are they recommend you to that univeristy or not judging from your ability in school)
The uni will have a folded piece of A4 paper, one side with your PS the other your reference, on the other page will be your qualifications. (I was told about this from a staff member of UMIST when I went to the UK unis exhabition)
Then they request that my councillor (in my case) to send predicted grades to them seperately, they look at this then gives the offer.
Reply 7
my sister doesnt go to school anymore.
she is 22, and she works in a hotel in spain.
thats why she doesnt have a referee.
she wrote that this fake-referee is her
employer, or something like that.
Reply 8
cordimit
my sister doesnt go to school anymore.
she is 22, and she works in a hotel in spain.
thats why she doesnt have a referee.
she wrote that this fake-referee is her
employer, or something like that.

:eek: :eek:
if she has not applied to most prestigious universities which is very likely in this case, i dont think you should be worried too much about it.
but i must say she is really stupid indeed.
Reply 9
Awwww bless the girl for trying... WITHDRAW IT NOW

I sincerely doubt that they'll check. I've never had an employer check my references or qualifications yet, Ucas must have thousands upon thousands of people applying, they wont check them all. The Uni might try and get hold of the contact, but if they can't thats not her problem is it.... so they'll invite her in for an interview and see what happens after that.
Well it really depends. If she doesn't mind the risk of her application being cancelled and the police questioning her then she should go for. But if she has got a bit of sense she would be better of by withdrawing and applying again (with a genuine reference)
she may be able to get her employer to be a referee as she's a mature student
should of seen what would of happened........ but I bet there have been some successful fake refereed applicants who have got through.
I was wondering about that, what if someone gets into uni with false info but does really well at uni and gets a really good degree can it be taken away if the trick is discovered? or is a degree yours forever regardless?
gianthead
I was wondering about that, what if someone gets into uni with false info but does really well at uni and gets a really good degree can it be taken away if the trick is discovered? or is a degree yours forever regardless?

Nah. I think as soon as you got your degree (withou cheating) then you have it. Maybe you cheated in your applicatrion but you didn't cheat at uni, it should be fine.
Reply 16
Sonce she is a mature student, since there will be fewer of them, isn't it actually more likely that the uni will contact her 'referee'?

Shes taking a stupidly big risk here...
what do you mena she faked it? like just wrote it instead of her employer? but if her employer knows surely itll be ok? as logn her employer is willign to say they did write it? hmm...
Reply 18
Who Dares Wins!
Reply 19
cordimit
my sister is such an idiot. she wrote her own reference,
she doesnt have any referee. she gave a fake phone number, referee name, and
adresse, she is an eu/overseas.
what is going to happend now. doesnt ucas have an antifraud system?
wont the universities try to contact the referee?

Your sister is in big trouble.

I'm not sure whether UCAS would spot such fraud, and i'm not sure whether the unis would, i'm not sure if they speak to referees much unless they have to.

The thing is your sister has committed what amounts to fraud in terms of her application. If any university found out what she had done they could cancel her application in an instant. Even if she gets into a university, if they fin out what she did they can throw her out at any stage of her time there. Even worse, if she completed the course and got her degree, if the uni then found out they could take her degree off her.

She needs to stop, cancel her application and wait to apply next year. What she has done is stupid beyond belief. She may think she is helping her chances of getting in, but the consequences are terrible for her, especially if they found out whilst she was doing/had done the degree. By doing this she has put her future at risk. Tell her she has to stop now!