The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

What's the gay scene in St Andrews like?

Hey,

I'm making my final uni decisions for 2012 entry and don't know whether to pick St Andrews or Durham. I love them both equally academically and socially, but don't know which one has a better gay scene. I know they're both quite quiet places so I am really unsure. I'm not making my final decision on which has a more liberal scene but it is a contributing factor for me...!

Can anyone offer me some advice please?

Thank you! :smile:

Mikey

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mikey1994
Hey,

I'm making my final uni decisions for 2012 entry and don't know whether to pick St Andrews or Durham. I love them both equally academically and socially, but don't know which one has a better gay scene. I know they're both quite quiet places so I am really unsure. I'm not making my final decision on which has a more liberal scene but it is a contributing factor for me...!

Mikey

Why is the gay factor so important to you?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Why is the gay factor so important to you?

.... because he is gay?
Original post by sambookaa
.... because he is gay?

So just because he likes the gay scene he is gay? :rolleyes:
A lot of heterosexual people go to gay bars/clubs and they are not gays. :cool:
:cool:
Hey,

Mikey

There is a gay bar at St. Andrews, let me take you there, to the GAY BAR!!! :colondollar:

Reply 5
Personally, I would say that our LGBT society is thriving. For a town so small our LGBT community is massive and its events are very popular around town.

One of the people I'm living with this year is the welfare officer for LGBT so if you'd like more information PM me and I can send you his email address.
Reply 6
:smile:
Original post by SoulfulBoy
There is a gay bar at St. Andrews, let me take you there, to the GAY BAR!!! :colondollar:

If you don't have anything constructive to say, why reply? :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by do5
Personally, I would say that our LGBT society is thriving. For a town so small our LGBT community is massive and its events are very popular around town.

One of the people I'm living with this year is the welfare officer for LGBT so if you'd like more information PM me and I can send you his email address.

Cheers mate, that would be really helpful. I'll send you a PM now!
Reply 8
I would also like to know what the LGBT scene is like!
:smile:

If you don't have anything constructive to say, why reply? :smile:

That is a bit rude. I want to contribute. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
I'd be curious too on how the gay scene is in St A!
Reply 11
I'm gay but tbh I'd go somewhere with the smaller gay scene, eww
My gay friend tells me that St Andrews has one of the biggest LGBTs in the UK. Not sure it that's true, but...

There's A LOT of gay guys in St Andrews
St Andrews has an active gay scene, people are very tolerant. You wont have any problems. But if youre going to choose a uni based on its gay scene youre a ****, theres more to St A than that.

x
Reply 14
Original post by dramaboyz2007
St Andrews has an active gay scene, people are very tolerant. You wont have any problems. But if youre going to choose a uni based on its gay scene youre a ****, theres more to St A than that.

x

Going to have to respectfully disagree with you here pal. While academic prestige, employment prospects, costs etc are all important factors, its crucial that you pick the university that makes you happy.

To many people, happiness is based on their social life. If you find that a specific community caters to your social life more, then there's nothing wrong with having the size and activities of this community become a factor in deciding where to study.

To anyone wanting to know more about our LGBT, you can find their website here and facebook page here.

Whilst not a member, I have many friends who are and can vouch that they're a great club who throw some amazing events that cater to any sexuality.
Reply 15
Original post by dramaboyz2007

x

Might do you good to read my original post before saying stuff like that matey. Cool.
Reply 16
Original post by do5

You have put my mind to rest! I am transferring from Lancaster to St Andrews for this year and was concerned about the gay scene too as I am used to a 250-strong LGBT here. Glad to hear there's stuff going on and I look forward to joining up! :biggrin: What's the gay bar called by the way?

Thanks,

Peter James
:facepalm2:
Original post by No Future
My gay friend tells me that St Andrews has one of the biggest LGBTs in the UK. Not sure it that's true, but...

There's A LOT of gay guys in St Andrews

So is the LGBT community mainly comprised of males?
Original post by electric-wars
So is the LGBT community mainly comprised of males?

I've never been involved in the LGBT, I don't know the male:female ratio.

There are definitely females involved and lesbian and bi girls in St Andrews.

I guess I just have a few gay male friends so I hear about gay guys more?

Quick Reply