The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5760
Original post by timefortea
I think there was someone else volunteering with staging who also hadn't had the email about tomorrow night- I wonder if they are doing it in sections? But it really might be worth phoning tomorrow- I was put straight through to Props/Staging team when I rang one morning a few weeks ago. I know a few people have had emails lost / not received.... Oh, and its 5.30pm tomorrow- I reckon a few people may be late as its tricky to leave work on time for most!

Yep that's me - and I still have no information from them! I emailed them earlier today but haven't received a response. I'll call them tomorrow just before lunch if I haven't already heard anything.
Reply 5761
Original post by Dancerwoman
I'm from a samba dance background but alas, I very much doubt that any of us in the London 2012 segment will get the opportunity to use our skills :frown: I even asked my Casting Co-Ordinator who confirmed this. There are many of us on here who are from Latin dance background but we have had to accept that we will not be given the opportunity to show off our dance skills in the genres we're used to. That privilege (samba drumming and dancing) will be given to Brasil when they do their 8 minutes segment during the London Olympic's closing ceremony.

I know many "sambistas" who expressed disappointment in not having the opportunity for British samba bands and dancers to be involved in the Olympics.

If you look at it this way, during the Beijing Olympics closing ceremony, there's bound to be volunteers who can dance Bossa Nova, Lindy Hop and even street dance, who had to stand back and watch whilst British dancers performed these dance styles during the closing ceremony.

I am 99.9% certain that anything samba-related during the ceremonies will be performed by the next Olympic hosts.

I've learned to accept that I'll never get the opportunity to dance in the genre that I'm strong in (samba) and instead embrace the experience.

Yeah I kinda realised we wouldn't actually be doing it ourselves, but it will be fantastic to experience it :smile:

That's really cool that you are a samba dancer!! I had a lesson from a Brazillian lady while in Rio - I got the rhythm but not naturally being a dancer I think I'll stick to the drums!! I wan't to join a samba band now!
Original post by lauski22
Yeah I kinda realised we wouldn't actually be doing it ourselves, but it will be fantastic to experience it :smile:

That's really cool that you are a samba dancer!! I had a lesson from a Brazillian lady while in Rio - I got the rhythm but not naturally being a dancer I think I'll stick to the drums!! I wan't to join a samba band now!

Been to Rio total of 8 times. Visited Sao Paulo and Bahia. Whilst in Rio, danced in the Carnaval in the famous sambadrome with one of the samba schools at one of the Carnavals which was a very emotional experience for me as I achieved my dream out there. Also played percussion in one of the street blocos. The last time I went, I visited Bahia and did a couple of dance classes out there and it was amazing. Dancing in bear feet in the warm tropical heat was a brilliant experience. That was several years ago. My other half's never been to Brasil and keeps saying that he wants to travel over there. Should I go over there again, I'd like to return to Bahia and maybe visit Natal and Recife. (Not really in a hurry to go back to Rio tbh).

Blimey, all this is beginning to sound like "The Holiday Programme":biggrin:
meant to say dancing in BARE feet. Serves me right typing whilst watching the TV!
The image of a sexy Latin dancer in a red silky dress, tanned skin and a pair of fluffy bear slippers really did make me chuckle though! :biggrin:
Original post by cornishscot
Well as some of the PROFESSIONAL actors & dancers will be paid a mere £600 for their time and efforts (see link below) I think, on balance, it is good news (for you at least if you can accommodate their rather short notice rehearsal schedule starting THIS weekend) but, from reading your post it seems as if you may have been advised about the possible dates required previously (unlike us DESERVES/RESERVES) so this should not be a problem for you if you have already set that time aside to do it. Go for it and enjoy I say ............... and congratulations too btw - a result of sorts I guess !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9189074/Danny-Boyles-budget-is-stretched-by-minimum-600-pay-for-every-Olympic-artiste.html

....and now the MU have waded in...

http://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/news-events/2012/04/11/have-you-been-asked-to-perform-for-no-payment-at-the-london-olympics-or-queens-jubilee-celebrations/

There's already a big debate going on amongst my "professional dancing / musician" colleagues on Facebook. All this professionals vs volunteers argument is getting a bit much.

Never liked the two tier systems but hey ho! The "once in a lifetime" argument didn't cut any ice in the argument more the "Us" (the professionals) and "them" (the volunteers).

So, so sad that you have people having this mindset.
Original post by Flakeydom
The image of a sexy Latin dancer in a red silky dress, tanned skin and a pair of fluffy bear slippers really did make me chuckle though! :biggrin:

I own a pair of furry slipper Uggs though :biggrin:
Reply 5767
Original post by charleyodell
I have my first rehearsal this Saturday 2-7. I am in group 49C, anyone else in this group too?

My son has exactly the same rehearsal time as you. He's 49D - look out for Kieran.
:smile:
From my calculations, 49 sounds like a HUGE segment (A to D). Are you guys drumming as can't remember?
Reply 5769
To all those going for the first meet of Props, Staging, Casting etc tomorrow - hope it all goes well. I think it will be very exciting and you will gain such an insight to how it all works.
Be thinking of you.
Original post by Eve 58
My son has exactly the same rehearsal time as you. He's 49D - look out for Kieran.
:smile:

Thats great! I am sure he will enjoy the rehearsal. Still havent received no news with regards to paralympic auditions. Each week when i call, they keep saying within next two weeks. They are just clearing the back log:smile:. Anyway, hope you are keeping well. How is your foot and your back?
Original post by Flakeydom

sounds very saucy and sexy :smile:
Reply 5772
Original post by bluang3l
Yep that's me - and I still have no information from them! I emailed them earlier today but haven't received a response. I'll call them tomorrow just before lunch if I haven't already heard anything.

Until 15 mins ago I hadn't had any info about tomorrow evening apart from that it was tomorrow evening. Then I got an e-mail saying there were problems processing some applications and to bring ID. It was adressed 'dear all' so obviously not just me. If you are waiting to hear I would definitely call or e-mail as there are obviously some admin problems.
As I then knew they were in the office I mailed back to ask again about time location and got forwarded another e-mail with the details. If you don't get it PM me and I will send it on. Basically for everyone its 3 Mills 5.30 -9pm and there will be a buffet, good if you there hasn't been time for tea (although I think TimeforTea is coming !)

Rafiki, the mail also said that they were aware of some people who couldn't make tomorrow, so doesn't look like that would rule you out.

Who else is going tomorrow - i remember DancersMum and Maid Marian. Anyone else going in pink ?!
If you have Pinnerite's beautifully labelled photos from the meetup you can pick Maid Marion and I out so you know who to accost on the day !

Looking forward to meeting all you lovely people :smile:
From my calculations, 49 sounds like a HUGE segment (A to D). Are you guys drumming as can't remember?

49ers are dancers. I seem to recall that one of the segments seemed to be full of fairly short women (5'4 or less) and that another was full of hip hoppers. 51 has the drummers who are in both ceremonies but apparently only drumming in one of them.

Original post by adelie27
Then I got an e-mail saying there were problems processing some applications and to bring ID. It was adressed 'dear all' so obviously not just me. If you are waiting to hear I would definitely call or e-mail as there are obviously some admin problems.

Hmmm...you know in lots of ways, I think these Olympics seem really well organised and will be a massive success. The venues are built, the village looks good, the Gamesmaker training has started... and then we hear another admin/email gremlin from the ceremonies team and a little niggling doubt creeps in! :rolleyes:
Original post by adelie27
there will be a buffet

A buffet?? Wow, they are upping their game...please report back if it's more than value range sandwiches. :wink:

Enjoy the induction tomorrow, you are the first to start proceedings, that makes you very special!
Reply 5775
An e-mail marked urgent and asking me to sign and bring an attached 'Letter of Agreement and Non Disclosure Agreement' has just landed in my inbox !
Just though I'd mention as I havn't a clue whether the rest of you props/staging/casting guys already have this !

Ickle, I note you are coming too, look forward to hopefully meeting you tomorrow.
Original post by davidtaylorfc
I emailed them yesterday and just got a reply (the same email 4 times!) to say I have been selected as an understudy for a 'Dance role in spectacular ceremony sequence'. Rehearsals start this Saturday am, group 49B.
A bit of a kick in the teeth, although glad I was recognised for my dancing rather than 'acting' skills. Now to decide if I should go to all rehearsals knowing I may still not get to perform - is anyone else in the same boat?
Good luck to all those who haven't heard!

I would say congratulations to you- understudy is as good as being the performer.
Reply 5777
Been to Rio total of 8 times. Visited Sao Paulo and Bahia. Whilst in Rio, danced in the Carnaval in the famous sambadrome with one of the samba schools at one of the Carnavals which was a very emotional experience for me as I achieved my dream out there. Also played percussion in one of the street blocos. The last time I went, I visited Bahia and did a couple of dance classes out there and it was amazing. Dancing in bear feet in the warm tropical heat was a brilliant experience. That was several years ago. My other half's never been to Brasil and keeps saying that he wants to travel over there. Should I go over there again, I'd like to return to Bahia and maybe visit Natal and Recife. (Not really in a hurry to go back to Rio tbh).

Blimey, all this is beginning to sound like "The Holiday Programme":biggrin:

Wow that's awesome! I'd love to see more of the country too. I spent the first week in the rainforest (Uni trip) and the second in Rio, and I have to say I wouldn't hurry back to Rio especially, however I would absolutely love to experience the carnival there!!
The videos in this link reminded me of our Olympic Performers audition sessions so I thought I would share:-

http://jesus-loves-you.org/?p=6588
Original post by Mandy_Panda
I'm pretty damn excited

Me too..:smile:

btw have you got any update emails i.e one week to go like others on seg 49 got last week?

Latest