The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Which are the best private halls to stay in?

Hi everyone :smile:

So I'm going to MMU in September to study Business Management, but I live under the 25 mile radius, so won't be able to stay in the uni halls :frown:

Which are the best private halls to stay in?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm in the same situation too. Not a clue where I'm going to live. Been looking at Mill Point near Picadilly station but its pretty far from my campus so I'm trying to find somewhere else.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
I'm currently at Mill Point and will be for next year too...

This year it was ideal for business management as the campus was around the corner (ideal when u wake up 10 mins before a tutorial).

Unfortunately now it has moved to the new campus, but even then if you walk down near Footage (local pub) the campus is actually only about a 10/15min walk...

Helps that Mill Point is a decent place as well... not the cheapest but the atmosphere is decent, staff are friendly and most of the people are alright :smile:
Reply 3
Hi! i'm going to MMU in september and don't qualify either, it's a shame as I really wanted to meet people from the uni! The private halls I've been looking at are Wilmslow Park (right at the other end of oxford road :frown:) Chandos, which is pretty much city centre and of course Mill Point.
Reply 4
Avoid any private halls that are owned by Unite (Parkway Gate, New Medlock House and Piccadilly Point). I stayed in Parkway Gate this year and it was the worst time of my life. I lived with 5 other girls and it was just plain awful because two of them were really messy and noisy. It got that bad that we went downstairs to complain about it but they did nothing and we were basically left to fend for ourselves. I stayed there during the summer and extended my contract for the academic year and they kept coming into my flat and my room without my permission or any notice for that matter and I complained about it claiming that they didn't know that the room was occupied (incompetent much?). To their credit, they were good to me in regards to maintenance. They sorted out my faults pretty much straight away but don't count on this because I know people who lived here and New Medlock House which is the halls opposite and they had issues with their lightbulbs going out so they had no lighting. One of them was told that it would take 2 weeks for them to fix it (2 weeks to fix a lightbulb!!). It also isn't worth the price and to be honest, it's a rip off. Can't speak for Piccadilly Point because I don't know but it's disgustingly expensive as well.

Manchester Student Village (MSV) is another place to avoid. The bedrooms are tiny and there are NO en-suite rooms available, you have to share with other people. I know someone who lived there and they had so many problems with their room that they pretty much did nothing about it and he said he felt like he was in prison living there because the room was that tiny.

I would recommend Mansion House. I loved it when I saw it but I was stupid enough to go to Parkway Gate Prison (yes I said it). Cosmopolitan is alright too as is Wilmslow Park.
Reply 5
I stayed in New Medlock House last year. Basically if you want a mental first year of freshers, go there. Many people from around the greater manchester area live there, so its just one big party and everyone knows where they're going and such. Have a very liberal stance on life when going, my flat was an absolute ****hole 99% of the time, and I managed to tolerate it and have a good time up until this May. I've been in Parkway a couple of times, slightly more expensive than Medlock with slightly bigger rooms and such. Basically if you dont mind drugs and the smell of weed drifting around then Medlock is the place for you (just don't book in Block E, very very boring where the international students are). Oh, and watch out for the occasional crackhead outside new medlock and the nearby shop, heard loads of rumours of stabbings and harassments as such (but dont let this put you off), as safety is definitely in numbers :smile:
Reply 6
Actually craig41, I disagree with you on that one. I had friends who lived in New Medlock and their rooms were much bigger than mine in Parkway Gate. It was like living in a prison. As for the undesirables that lurk around that part, they're mostly alcoholics because they keep asking people to buy them booze but there are a few druggies around too but that's Manchester for you. As for the stabbing situation, that is definitely NOT true. There have been quite a lot of robberies (mugging) in that area. My old flat mate got mugged right outside Parkway Gate. The undesirables do harass a lot of people that walk past. If you see them, don't give them any eye contact and ignore them. If they ask you for money or whatever, say you have none and whatever you do, DON'T stop to talk to them, keep walking and they won't be able to do anything. I've spent a great deal of time in Manc before moving here permanently so I've seen it all up here.
Reply 7
Honesty is not the best policy when stating your address for mmu halls, this is because if you move houses a couple of weeks later, mmu accommodation reps only take your original address into consideration regardless if you now live in Australia. :wink:

So is anyone else going for private accommodation, or can recommend private accommodation? :cool:
(edited 11 years ago)
im going to Parkway Gate in september, cant really recommend anything though as ill be starting my first year.
Original post by Nizza123
Honesty is not the best policy when stating your address for mmu halls, this is because if you move houses a couple of weeks later, mmu accommodation reps only take your original address into consideration regardless if you now live in Australia. :wink:

So is anyone else going for private accommodation, or can recommend private accommodation? :cool:

Have you actually told MMU that your family no longer live at that address?
Reply 10
to be honest top tip as ive stayed in manchester for the last 2 years and now onto my final year for mathematics at MMU...dont stay in cosmo halls (too far) and dont spend over £100 a week. honestly too much hastle you dont really get alot more. and you can live very comfetably for like 90 odd quid for your flat.
I'd reccommend Wilmslow Park. It may be a bit more expensive but its got all the shops nearby and is close enough to walk to MMU all saints or Uni of Manchester. Bus stops are right outside too. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by sianXcore
Actually craig41, I disagree with you on that one. I had friends who lived in New Medlock and their rooms were much bigger than mine in Parkway Gate. It was like living in a prison. As for the undesirables that lurk around that part, they're mostly alcoholics because they keep asking people to buy them booze but there are a few druggies around too but that's Manchester for you. As for the stabbing situation, that is definitely NOT true. There have been quite a lot of robberies (mugging) in that area. My old flat mate got mugged right outside Parkway Gate. The undesirables do harass a lot of people that walk past. If you see them, don't give them any eye contact and ignore them. If they ask you for money or whatever, say you have none and whatever you do, DON'T stop to talk to them, keep walking and they won't be able to do anything. I've spent a great deal of time in Manc before moving here permanently so I've seen it all up here.

I guess its down to the experience people have. Like i said, my time there was quite mental, and at times it is like a prison, because there's not much to do and hardly any sunlight reaches the windows. As for the undesirables there, I've heard different stories from different people, so its down to opinion/tolerance of the people lingering outside. Its a great place to get to meet friends, but it is expensive at around £95ish pounds. If you study at the John dalton MMU building then its the most convenient place to live. Of all the halls i've been to and had friends stay in, i'd give this a bang on 6/10.
Yes, for the love of God, PLEASE AVOID Manchester Student Village. Lived there last year. I know it's incredibly cheap, but it just is not worth it!
Reply 14
I've applied for Accommodation in Ropemaker Court.Its private and a brand new building.Went to view te show flat and is exactly how it looks in the photo.Check it out: http://www.crm-students.com/en/student-accommodation/manchester/ropemaker-court
Reply 15
The reason for the all the 'undesirables' outside Parkway Gate is due to the fact there is a Salvation Army rehab centre for men across the road.
i've applied for wilmslow park but i dont know any other MMU students on here that are staying their its worrying me :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Im staying at new medlock in september, im was also under the 25 mile radius.. hope itss okaayy,, anyone else staying there?
Ive been looking at manchester student village, but dont know if ill get uni halls as i applied through clearing and live under 25 miles away -.- whats the village like?
Reply 19
Original post by mattiehoward
Ive been looking at manchester student village, but dont know if ill get uni halls as i applied through clearing and live under 25 miles away -.- whats the village like?

I'm living there this year. I've read some bad things about it to be honest, but when I went to look around it seemed like a perfectly acceptable place to spend my year. It's cheap and it is right next to Man Met so a lot of Man Met students live there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending