The Student Room Group

Moving all your things to uni - how many bags?

As it stands i think im going to have to move to uni by myself!! Im going about 6 hours away and neither parent are able to help me move in in time for freshers. Im not allowed to drive as iv never done that distance before or drove in such a busy city. My only option seems to be to get a train? Im really lucky there is actually a direct train, would 2 suitcases be enough? I dont think i could carry any more than that and even that would be a struggle for someone thats only 5'2 and pretty petite!

How much things is everyone else bringing? Also how much clothes do i need to bring? When i thought about it, its only really clothes/shoes/laptop that i need to bring? Il buy bedding/decorative stuff, toiletries, stationary up there.. a case or two should be enough right?

Scroll to see replies

Depends are you catered or self-catered and are you en-suite or sharing ?

Self-catered/En-suite respectivly require you to take more stuff. As youre on train: Two suitcases and a bag ? Also how often will you be going back home. You'll need to be prepared for the change of weather.
Normally you get a range of a few days when you can move in - I could move in any time between the Thursday and the Sunday. Can they not wangle a day off work at all? Alternatively, could they drive up a few days later with your extra stuff, or is there a sibling / relative / friend who could drive you? Alternatively a courier / student moving company may be able to help you, although this can be pricey. Finally, could they not simply take you driving to a relatively busy (nearby) city and see how you cope?

I know that when I moved up I filled all but three seats of a hatchback, up to the ceiling!
well the international students somehow manage to carry all their stuff in one go, so i guess 2 suitcases will be enough
Reply 4
I'd suggest not buying anything for uni before you go and just taking your personal things with you, move in as early as you can then go out and buy your kitchen and other stuff in the uni city. Also for any other stuff you want from home you could try to get brought by parents or other relatives if they can come later with it.
Reply 5
too many. :egg:
Reply 6
I filled an entire Jeep, so yes definitely more than 2 bags.
Reply 7
I filled at least 5 big ikea bags full.
Reply 8
Original post by KKKKatie
I filled an entire Jeep, so yes definitely more than 2 bags.

Original post by Shelly_x
I filled at least 5 big ikea bags full.

What did you guys bring?! 'Cause im thinking i can easily fit all my clothes/shoes in 2 cases.. il buy toiletries, stationary,kitchen stuff, bedding, decorative stuff and all the other random things once in manchester.. because either way im going to have to buy all this so may aswell buy it over there than here?
Reply 9
Since I'm going by air, I'm taking just one suitcase and a bag, and my parents will carry a bag each with them :/ I'm catered though
Reply 10
I take loads with me. Try to pack just what you won't be able to buy easily there. Take a few weeks worth of clothes, laptop etc. If there's still a lot then the only other thing I can suggest is hire a taxi, might be 100 quid depending on distance but could be worth it as a one off payment twice a year.
Original post by StacFace
I'd suggest not buying anything for uni before you go and just taking your personal things with you, move in as early as you can then go out and buy your kitchen and other stuff in the uni city. Also for any other stuff you want from home you could try to get brought by parents or other relatives if they can come later with it.

this :smile:

Also means you can go shopping with your flat mates for kitchen stuff and such rather than ending up with 6 ironing boards... :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by tpxvs
What did you guys bring?! 'Cause im thinking i can easily fit all my clothes/shoes in 2 cases.. il buy toiletries, stationary,kitchen stuff, bedding, decorative stuff and all the other random things once in manchester.. because either way im going to have to buy all this so may aswell buy it over there than here?

Clothes, books, shoes, bedding, kitchen stuff.
Reply 13
I completely filled a medium sized car when I was a fresher. (Probably shouldn't mention that I filled 2 cars when I came home for summer...)

I wouldn't be able to fit all of my stuff into 2 suitcases but I guess it depends. I would need more than that just for clothes. Books take up a lot of space as well.

Unless they are international students most people take all their kitchen equipment with them so if you leave it until you get there that might become an unnecessary hassle for you. I would try to persuade your parents to follow you up a few days later or if you have your own car insist on driving.
Reply 14
My mum and stepdad drove me to my uni, and I had fond memories of literally being packed into the car - at one point I had a bag of rice wedged behind my back...
As someone mentioned above, the international students somehow manage it. But I'm gonna get a fair amount of clothes which will last me a couple of weeks, then get my parents to drive to uni and drop off more shoes etc

3 ikea bags xD coz we're all swedish, woooooo jking
Original post by tpxvs

If you're going to Uni of Manchester (I don't know about MMU) then they can supply a bedding pack, which will be there when you arrive. Obviously they charge for this, but it saves a lot of hassle.

I would suggest bringing enough kitchen stuff to tide you over for a couple of days (one saucepan, one plate, one set of cutlery, one mug) and then buying other stuff once you get there. I'd suggest bringing one small bottle of shampoo, one pack of cleansing wipes, one razor - the bare minimum of toiletries - and then buying more once you're here. Stationery and decorative things can definitely be left until you get here! If you're living in Fallowfield, then Sainsburys in Fallowfield has an entire section aimed at students in September - it's filled with everything from bedding to basics kettles to cheap crockery, and it's a 3 minute walk from halls. Obviously the choice is fairly limited though.

The reason why I say that you should bring enough to tide you over for a couple of days is that you don't want to be saying "hi new flatmates, sorry can't start drinking with you, I've got to go out and buy a duvet / pans / shampoo, bye"!
Last year I filled an entire car and moving back this summer, I filled two :colondollar:
I do have a lot of stuff because I was living on my own last year, this year I'm moving in with my friends so I know I don't have to bring absolutely everything with me, plus I can buy the extra things like toiletries etc when I get to uni. Although this time I want to bring my keyboard and my guitar so will probably need two cars again.
Original post by tpxvs
As it stands i think im going to have to move to uni by myself!! Im going about 6 hours away and neither parent are able to help me move in in time for freshers. Im not allowed to drive as iv never done that distance before or drove in such a busy city. My only option seems to be to get a train? Im really lucky there is actually a direct train, would 2 suitcases be enough? I dont think i could carry any more than that and even that would be a struggle for someone thats only 5'2 and pretty petite!

How much things is everyone else bringing? Also how much clothes do i need to bring? When i thought about it, its only really clothes/shoes/laptop that i need to bring? Il buy bedding/decorative stuff, toiletries, stationary up there.. a case or two should be enough right?

When I moved to uni from another country to London, I simply had 2 big suitcases and a bag with clothes and shoes, and everything else I just bought at ikea. I was in self-catered halls and had an ensuite, and I think I spent like less than 200 pounds for everything else. Other people on my floor who came from home with cars, had way too much stuff and not even enough space to store it all. So don't worry about it too much.
Reply 19
Original post by x-Saffire-x
Last year I filled an entire car and moving back this summer, I filled two :colondollar:
I do have a lot of stuff because I was living on my own last year, this year I'm moving in with my friends so I know I don't have to bring absolutely everything with me, plus I can buy the extra things like toiletries etc when I get to uni. Although this time I want to bring my keyboard and my guitar so will probably need two cars again.

How did you even fit 2 cars worth of stuff in one small uni room?!

And thanks for the replies everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest