The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Not a fan of sport...is Loughborough a good idea from me?

Hi all,
I'm torn between Sussex and Loughborough. I love both courses equally but the issue is that I know Loughborough is big on sports and will the fact that I hate sport, will never do it and would rather read in an armchair all day hold me back? Would I be a bit left out here if I'm not interested/do I have less of a chance of receiving an offer if I mention nothing of sports in my PS?
Thank you for your opinions :-)
Izzy
Original post by izzabellezi
Hi all,
I'm torn between Sussex and Loughborough. I love both courses equally but the issue is that I know Loughborough is big on sports and will the fact that I hate sport, will never do it and would rather read in an armchair all day hold me back? Would I be a bit left out here if I'm not interested/do I have less of a chance of receiving an offer if I mention nothing of sports in my PS?
Izzy

I've been at Loughborough for three years and have done almost no sport in that time, it's really not a problem :nah:

Unless obviously if you're applying for a course like sports science, not mentioning sports in your PS will not disadvantage you at all.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Hi all,
Izzy

No it will not hold you back or have a negative impact on your application.......

However, in my experience "what sport do you do/play?" , "do you play any sports?", etc, are frequent conversation starters and many students either play sports or are generally into health/fitness in one way or another. So if you actively hate sport you may want to consider if the sporting/jockish/macho atmosphere is right for you.
Reply 3
Hi all,
Izzy

Hello :smile:

If I were you I'd go to Loughborough, it has a better reputation and I'm sure you'd have a great time and make friends regardless of whether you're in to sport or not.

I have a friend who currently goes there who hates sport and is having a great time, and the man I'm seeing was the Student Union president there a few years back and loved it. He isn't particularly sporty either and I think it says a lot that he goes back there as much as he can!

Wishing you all the best :smile:
Reply 4
I had this same dilemma actually, between Sussex and Lufbra. I'm not sporty either really and while I was concerned about gym facilities, the differences are irrelevant when it comes down to it if you're not a bodybuilder.

In the end I chose Lufbra purely because I liked the atmosphere; I sincerely doubt I'll take part in any sports over the next 3 years - at least not seriously - and it doesn't bother me all that much. Plus I think Lufbra throws more weight than Sussex when I tell people that's where I got my degree.
My biggest worry about going to this Uni was that I wouldn't make any friends / fit in because I'm not sporty at ALL (although not adverse to watching sport) but looking back I can't believe I was worried about it as honestly there are so many other people who don't do sport here. You'll find that those who are seriously into their sport will mainly hang out with those who do sport anyway so you don't really see them as often as others. Loughborough really does excel on the amazing range of things to get involved in, sports only makes up one fraction of that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending