The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thinking about it, why not put together a CV. Then you can include that with your application letter. Means you get to include all the stuff you want to say, whilst keeping the letter itself concise.
Candyflosses
I would like to be a doctor in the future because it would allow me to work in a team and contribute to saving people’s lives which is very important to me.

I'd seriously consider dropping that line. A) Medicine isn't the only option if that's all you want, and B) It sounds a tad cheesy and could easily rub whoever is reading it the wrong way.
What do people usually send for work xp applications?

A CV and Application letter/form stating why you want to work there?

also is it wise to ask for work xp and for volunteering work at the same time/ same letter?
Norfolk_Enchance
What do people usually send for work xp applications?

A CV and Application letter/form stating why you want to work there?

also is it wise to ask for work xp and for volunteering work at the same time/ same letter?

I think ringing them is the best thing to do first. It saves time and hassle and you can get an instant answer about if they give any w.e. If yes, then they might send you an application form etc
Thanks everyone, I will definitely be making this letter shorter and dont worry johnnyofengland I have deleted that line and replaced it with: I am seriously considering entering into medicine because the pursuit of knowledge and the preservation of life are two key aspects that I would find fufilling and meaningful. Is that better?

Thanks again and Alex L it wasnt too harsh I wanted constructive criticism. Thanks

but im still a bit worried about the reasons for doing it in cardiology these were: I am particularly interested in Cardiology because the heart is a major organ and many of the diseases and conditions of the heart can be life-threatening. However I consider that the work is not only challenging due to the importance of this organ, but also because of the variety of different diseases and conditions that can affect it. I feel that the importance and variety of the work means that I would find shadowing a cardiologist both beneficial and fascinating.

does it sound ok?
I agree with Alex - way too long.

The letter will most likely not be read by a doctor as well.

Is it possible for you to phone them up instead?? Makes it a lot easier.
Okay I was planning on doing some work experience at my local hospital. I rang them up yesterday and they're fully booked until January 2010! I have to apply this October! What shall I do? The only other things I have is a homework club I help at and I volunteer at an care home. I may also being spending a week at my vets to look at surgery and samples under a microscope and stuff but that's it.

Surely that's not enough and there's nothing medical there really.
Help please :smile:
Apply to other places. I honestly must have applied to about 15 different hospitals when I applied. Many of which were over hour commutes from my home. You can't really afford to be fussy.
Why can't you write to doctors directly? That's what I did to get my work experience. Go on your local hospital's website and there should be a list of consultants somwhere. Okay, so it is slightly stalkerish, but I had no other ideas and it seemed to work well for me!
Reply 1049
Dont worry, you can put in your personal statement that you have work experience coming up, so ring back the hospital and request that they book you in for january. In the meantime call up other hospitals and see what they have available. Volunteering at a care home is good, likewise the week at the vets. Other things i would suggest are see if there are any youth organisations that could arrange for you to help out with people who have disabilities, its a valuable experience and it gives you a greater understanding of the type of disabilites people can have and how it affects them and their families. You could also try dentist surgeries as they have to deal with medical conditions as well as more cosmetic procedures.
Reply 1050
Try a GP.. terribly mind numbing as it may sound it's better than nothing!
Also medical research labs such as pathology labs... not quite what you're aiming for I know but in some ways it is all about quantity :smile:
If all else fails, find out what everyone else has done, and what they have seen, then make it up.
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Okay I was planning on doing some work experience at my local hospital. I rang them up yesterday and they're fully booked until January 2010! I have to apply this October! What shall I do? The only other things I have is a homework club I help at and I volunteer at an care home. I may also being spending a week at my vets to look at surgery and samples under a microscope and stuff but that's it.

Surely that's not enough and there's nothing medical there really.
Help please :smile:

QUALITY of experience and what you learned from it, not quantity

Don't need medical placement

Hospice/elderly home have plenty. May even get paid job.

Charity shop, any customer service job, anything.
Reply 1053
Hana.W
Also medical research labs such as pathology labs... not quite what you're aiming for I know but in some ways it is all about quantity :smile:

What do you mean mind numbing!!! I loved my GP placement, it was probably my favourite one!!

Anyway OP just put in your statement that you have work experience lined up, you could always try more hospitals aswell or you could write to individual consultants. Long term volunteering at a care home will probably be worth more anyway since it demonstrates a caring attitude etc...I learned so much more volunteering with the disabled than I did at any of my work experience placements and it gave me much more to talk about in interviews
piece_by_piece
Why can't you write to doctors directly? That's what I did to get my work experience. Go on your local hospital's website and there should be a list of consultants somwhere. Okay, so it is slightly stalkerish, but I had no other ideas and it seemed to work well for me!

I did exactly the same.
Candyflosses
Thanks everyone, I will definitely be making this letter shorter and dont worry johnnyofengland I have deleted that line and replaced it with: I am seriously considering entering into medicine because the pursuit of knowledge and the preservation of life are two key aspects that I would find fufilling and meaningful. Is that better?

Sounds a lot better to me. :yy:

Hana.W

I actually found my GP experience to be a lot more useful than my Hospital one.

terpineol
If all else fails, find out what everyone else has done, and what they have seen, then make it up.

Terpineol - slowly corrupting applicants one post at a time.
jonnyofengland

Terpineol - slowly corrupting applicants one post at a time.

Its a tough job, but someone has to introduce them to the real world, and its not pretty.
hi guys, i am going india this summer holidays:smile: ....n i thoguht that it would be an ideal time for me to undertake some work experience/obervation...but i dont know where (i.e. in a hospital or surgery?)...which is better and for how lond, veacuse i am only there for 2 weeks maximum.....anyone else been india to do some work expereicne like i am about to do...if yes....them let me know...thanks

have a nice day!!!:smile:

Medic Hopfulll
Reply 1058
yup, i spent a week in a hospital there. got to see procedures up close in the OT, which you can't do here. also went to a charity health camp for a day which was pretty damn CRAZY as loads of people turned up
sorry but what is OT?