The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Aha, I got the 'Rat Pack' deck from the 'Betrayers of Kamigawa' (because I like the skaven from warhammer). I tried a couple of test games against friends and although some card were useless as they only affected kamigawa cards the deck seemed to work okay. Now I just need more...
Darksteel forge + worldslayer in an artifact deck = goodbye opponant's played cards.
Reply 62
Ill have to take your word for that.
although some card were useless as they only affected kamigawa cards

Thanks for the tip Sand. Now i shall not be buying a kamigawa deck :biggrin:
I've got a tip for everyone with large collections of cards. Simply shuffle the lot together, and split them between however many players, and then play with huge decks! Then basically play the game like there was a crumbling sanctuary in play (take damage off the decks). Its good to use all those non-standard cards, and can really increase your strategic thinking.

Anyway, anyone played with unhinged cards? I think some of them are really good actually (and certainly funny). Just a tip, the best combo ever is a Wordmail with a, and i'll catch my breath before i say this... "Our Market Research Shows That Players Like Really Long Card Names So We Made This Card to Have the Absolute Longest Card Name Ever Elemental"...

And i'll leave you on a combo for you to think about. Your playing against a guy with a huge creature deck. Maybe they've got something like a denzian of the deep or something in play (i don't know, some huge card or other). A simple move is Ashnod's Transmogrant and Steal Artifact... always fun, i'm thinking.
Reply 65
Constantine
Thanks for the tip Sand. Now i shall not be buying a kamigawa deck :biggrin:

I replaced the main one with the 'sword of kaldra' (I think thats it) that I had lying around. equip it for 4 mana to give the equipped creature +5/+5 :biggrin:
staylor
Ill have to take your word for that.

darksteel forge makes all artifacts indestructable, and worldslayer will destroy all cards in play when damage is deal to a player, a very good combination.
juueru_chou
darksteel forge makes all artifacts indestructable, and worldslayer will destroy all cards in play when damage is deal to a player, a very good combination.

I have worldslayer, I'll need to get darksteel forge from somewhere because I really want to try this out. It sounds GREAT!
Reply 68
It certainly does at that :eek:

The only card approaching that level of 'goodness' that I have is legacy weapon - pay one of each mana (without tapping) to destroy any permanent on the board. Great if you have multiple of each mana :biggrin:.
staylor
It certainly does at that :eek:

The only card approaching that level of 'goodness' that I have is legacy weapon - pay one of each mana (without tapping) to destroy any permanent on the board. Great if you have multiple of each mana :biggrin:.

Multiple hand of death followed by lava axe is good in black-red combo decks!
Reply 70
Hmmm - I dont know what the black card does but I think I can guess.
Reply 71
AndrewsJoseph
Multiple hand of death followed by lava axe is good in black-red combo decks!

lava axe?? whatever happened to the good old revised days, when the biggest damn monster there ever was was the levaithan and one of the best cards in the game was fireball???
Reply 72
Eru
Well i don't think so to be honest. I am sure that i will do well enough in the tournament, win a few games at least, because i have been playing for a while now.

I agree mostly with what you said there. Shock is undoubtably the best of the three. And most burn spells targeted at the player are not all that great, unless your trying to play Red/Blue with control, and using it as your primary victory, maybe combining with some decent sized creatures, but again, its down to preference. I guess personally i always play strong creatures, so rely alot on them to get me ground advantage, so don't really need those sorts of spells, and if i was worried about creatures at that size where it would be effective, i'd go for stuff like earthquake, Breath or Darigaaz etc. every time, because it targets more than one (and with my creatures, i'd not usually have to worry about knocking out my own creatures, but again, its down to deck strategy). But when it comes down to it, i would prefer hammer to axe, because of the price of it for what it does. Although i wouldn't choose to, i could see myself using the hammer at two mana, but at 5, i would not use the axe.

yo'ud be surprised actually I agree with 2+2, getting big creatures out is too slow, and if they have a lot of tiny creatures they could overwhelm you especially with simple buffs like Sunken City (the old +1/+1 to all creatures of blah blah blah color) or their current versions of cards like that. I don't know what's banned, but also another big hitter against green is a lifetap, once that's out, that'd provide your opponent with lots of life, and if he's going all blue, you're dead, especially because you use huge creatures.

I played a blue/green deck, which was very unique in that I relied a lot on my elves to get me blue, green, red and white mana. It's useful to tap all your forests plus your elves and get a huge fireball out of nowhere when you're opponent thinks you're dead.
Tempest
lava axe?? whatever happened to the good old revised days, when the biggest damn monster there ever was was the levaithan and one of the best cards in the game was fireball???

I don't know, but Lava Axe is still good!
I have seen some evil combinations of cards used before that has made one creature do over 8,000,000 damage (and it had trample).
Reply 75
juueru_chou
I have seen some evil combinations of cards used before that has made one creature do over 8,000,000 damage (and it had trample).

see this is why they should stop producing new sets and go back and make reprint everything up through mirage
Reply 76
Ah, just stumbled across this thread.Is anyone going to Pro Tour London(competing or for the side-events?)
Reply 77
Tempest
see this is why they should stop producing new sets and go back and make reprint everything up through mirage

Er - why :confused:

The only thing that annoys me is that my favourite abilities (threshold an the other odyssey/armageddon ones) dont get reproduced in the other sets - I particularly like them for some reason.
staylor
Er - why :confused:

The only thing that annoys me is that my favourite abilities (threshold an the other odyssey/armageddon ones) dont get reproduced in the other sets - I particularly like them for some reason.

This is what you get with card games, new sets will always have updated rules and new features and some features are only kept for a couple of sets and then phased out.
Reply 79
These new kamigawa ones do seem to be a complete removal from the old theme of world inside world. And the set structure is different.

Latest