The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Valour
How much distance do you guys run per day?

Monday:10 miles
Tuesday: 5 miles track session
Wednesday: 10 miles
Thursday: 4 Miles hill work
Friday: 5 Miles
Saturday: 5 Miles grass session
Sunday: 13 Miles

Obviously that changes according to the time of the year and any races coming up and I try to get in a couple of easy early morning runs when I can...
don't think I will be running today :frown:
revision........ x
just finished my first run in over 3 months after an injury - figured i start off steady so did a 3.5k loop from my house, i want going for a time but i figured i may as well see how much ive lost for not running.
i did it just under 15.30 which really cheered me up
:biggrin:
some people on here are absolute machines :eek:
definetly running tomorrow and sunday. In all day revising, so I will need to get out
xxx
excellent, i think im gonna go for a run on sun, and maybe improvise a circuit training doo-dah for tomorrow, in between revising and enveloping my 18th invites :biggrin:
alex0723
Monday:10 miles
Tuesday: 5 miles track session
Wednesday: 10 miles
Thursday: 4 Miles hill work
Friday: 5 Miles
Saturday: 5 Miles grass session
Sunday: 13 Miles

what sort of training is that? if you want to do effective speed training you need to be fresh. three long runs a week is overtraining. it won't work. you will just be very slow and tired and end up not being able to do speed sessions.

if you want my advice i'd say one long run is enough. just do 5 miles monday + wednesday easy and save the work on the 3 sessions a week.
Revenged
what sort of training is that? if you want to do effective speed training you need to be fresh. three long runs a week is overtraining. it won't work. you will just be very slow and tired and end up not being able to do speed sessions.

if you want my advice i'd say one long run is enough. just do 5 miles monday + wednesday easy and save the work on the 3 sessions a week.

I approve this message. Also worth noting that there are three runs of 10 miles or more per week, and yet the longest run is just 13 miles? Personally, I smell BS, but I speak as I find!

As regards use of a HRM, I use one occasionally, I tend to train to a pace using GPS (or stopwatch at the track when I get there!). The most prevalent use of the HRM for me is to help me keep a lid on it - if I treat keeping my heart rate around 130-145 whilst on easy runs, I don't burn out after a couple of weeks. There's only so many hard miles one can do, and I get ahead of myself. :colondollar:
I am a complete amateur and did my first ever run today! I really want to lose some weight and as I like running - and it's free - I thought I'd try this.

I do have to stop and walk between every burst of running, but I'm hoping that as I get better, I won't have to do this so much!
Gypsy King
I approve this message. Also worth noting that there are three runs of 10 miles or more per week, and yet the longest run is just 13 miles? Personally, I smell BS, but I speak as I find!

Three speed sessions a week + a long run is standard running training. It is how I was told to train. If you frame your training around that you (in my opinion) you know what you are doing :p:. Over and above that I don't know how you'd train effectively but I imagine at that mileage the intensity of the sessions goes out the window.
Reply 210
Revenged

I'm sorry but a good runner older than 17 must be doing at least 50 mpw. Steady runs are very important to recover from sessions while building up your endurance. I don't know what distance you run, but if you run any distance over 1500m and want to be competitive you need to be doing these kind of miles. Obviously you need to gradually build it up, but I am not even running twice a day. The idea about training hard is that your body gets used to a large volume of training while still being able to do sessions at a good intensity
Right.

I've decided to start taking this whole running business more seriously and looking for a race.

Anyone know the best way of finding one? Best sites?

Gonna go for a 10k hopefully around April time, then go for the half marathon in either July/September...
Reply 212
Gypsy King

As regards use of a HRM, I use one occasionally, I tend to train to a pace using GPS (or stopwatch at the track when I get there!). The most prevalent use of the HRM for me is to help me keep a lid on it - if I treat keeping my heart rate around 130-145 whilst on easy runs, I don't burn out after a couple of weeks. There's only so many hard miles one can do, and I get ahead of myself. :colondollar:

I am only training for races under 10km, so running any further than 13 miles for a long run is rather counter-productive. However you still need to build your base of endurance so it is essential to be running those kind of miles. Agreed It would be better to do 5 miles in the morning then 5 in the evening, but I can't fit that into my daily routine. I am 18 and all good runners my age are running 60+ miles per week, and whilst doing that you can still keep some quality intensity.
Try it, you may be surprised!
Reply 213
Going to go running tomorrow! I used to run every day at the start of 2009 but stopped around February time. Going to start again now, it's going to be tough getting into a routine again.
pinkpenguin
Right.

I've decided to start taking this whole running business more seriously and looking for a race.

Anyone know the best way of finding one? Best sites?

Gonna go for a 10k hopefully around April time, then go for the half marathon in either July/September...

Check out Runner's World's Event Listings they pretty much got all the events 5k + that are taking place around the UK and users post their own opinions on the event so you get a pretty good idea of what it's be like.

You might also want to check out the series of Race for Life events that are taking place May/June/July time. Since these are 5k and all female they're generally a great introduction to running and non competitive.

Good luck. I've been running for 10 weeks on and off, and only recently started sticking to a proper schedule. You'll be amazed at how quickly you improve if you try!
alex0723
I'm sorry but a good runner older than 17 must be doing at least 50 mpw. Steady runs are very important to recover from sessions while building up your endurance. I don't know what distance you run, but if you run any distance over 1500m and want to be competitive you need to be doing these kind of miles. Obviously you need to gradually build it up, but I am not even running twice a day. The idea about training hard is that your body gets used to a large volume of training while still being able to do sessions at a good intensity

I've got to agree with the others. You are giving your body no rest and you'll probably find yourself worse off in the end. All professional and amature athletes I know recommend at least one rest day per week, and generally three runs a week with a long run generally at the weekend- which should always be followed by a rest day.
ran this morning. A bit less than yesterday, but I needed to get on with revision.
When exam are over I am going to try and stick to a plan. I just do the same pace all the time pretty much.
So going to try and vary the speed.
went for another 3.5k "easing back into it" run today, 15 seconds off my best - which really isnt easing i dont think.
oh well
exam monday, weds, thurs,so hopefully run friday :biggrin:
then get back into a decent routine
manx1991
Check out Runner's World's Event Listings they pretty much got all the events 5k + that are taking place around the UK and users post their own opinions on the event so you get a pretty good idea of what it's be like.

You might also want to check out the series of Race for Life events that are taking place May/June/July time. Since these are 5k and all female they're generally a great introduction to running and non competitive.

Good luck. I've been running for 10 weeks on and off, and only recently started sticking to a proper schedule. You'll be amazed at how quickly you improve if you try!

There are also some 10k Race For Lifes, i'm doing one :smile:
raspberryswirl
There are also some 10k Race For Lifes, i'm doing one :smile:

the cancer research Run10k runs are really good too, Harewood House and Castle Howard particularly.
great atmosphere and well set up.

also the run for moore for guys is great fun. a non competative MAN race, they play good songs and you get a great tshirt :biggrin:
(was my first 5k - absolutely lashed it down)

Latest