The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Fixed the downloads - sorry for any confusion! The new v3 pack also has better-quality papers which I've double-checked. Hopefully this should be the final one I upload :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Xero Xenith
Just a place for us to discuss STEP in particular, how it's going, get some handy hints and share questions that seem particularly tasty :wink:

Useful links
TSR Threads

STEP Solutions 1987-2007 (just click the links at the bottom of the first post)

STEP Solutions 2011 (here for reference but you'll probably want to leave this until June!!!)

Downloads

My Delicious STEP Megapack v3 ~60MB Start here! Everything you need in one download.
(All papers 1987-2011 except the two missing spec papers, both guidebooks, all official solutions and reports, specification, formula book.)

If you downloaded before v3 - before 9pm 9/1/12 - download v3! This contains fixed versions of STEP 2 and 3 from 1990 to 1993 (thanks Farhan.Hanif93), plus better quality versions of the papers from 1999-2006.

Grade Boundaries by Year - 2000-2011 (Google Docs link - includes sources etc)

Spoiler

I'll add some more later - suggestions are very, very welcome!! :biggrin:

Let's get cracking :tongue:

Hi.... Can I just say thanks for that megapack... Really going to help I think.
I'm kind of new on TSR, so I'm Tom (Y) Holder of an offer for Mathematics at Robinson, and a very nervous 17 year old that is going to start STEP practice.... I'm looking forward to it, but I'm sure it isn't going to be easy AT ALL.
Reply 42
Let's get cracking :tongue:

You're a hero for providing that pack <3. Gonna bomb these papers as soon as my Jan modules are over =P
Original post by TRLMaths
Hi.... Can I just say thanks for that megapack... Really going to help I think.
I'm kind of new on TSR, so I'm Tom (Y) Holder of an offer for Mathematics at Robinson, and a very nervous 17 year old that is going to start STEP practice.... I'm looking forward to it, but I'm sure it isn't going to be easy AT ALL.

Best of luck! I think you'll find STEP quite fun once you get into it :smile: It's a challenge at first, though.

Original post by SParm
You're a hero for providing that pack &lt;3. Gonna bomb these papers as soon as my Jan modules are over =P

No problem; it seems like someone does every year, and maybe if it's good enough future years will use it :smile: I just hope I haven't put the grade boundaries up too much by providing it :wink:
Reply 44
Best of luck! I think you'll find STEP quite fun once you get into it :smile: It's a challenge at first, though.

No problem; it seems like someone does every year, and maybe if it's good enough future years will use it :smile: I just hope I haven't put the grade boundaries up too much by providing it :wink:

Cannot thank you enough for tha pack. I am beginning to have hope, I just hope I have enough time...eek
Reply 45
Just out of interest, do any of you know anyone who has an offer for maths at either oxford or Cambridge who hasn't got atleast a gold in the smc?
Original post by Az_016
Just out of interest, do any of you know anyone who has an offer for maths at either oxford or Cambridge who hasn't got atleast a gold in the smc?

Oh hai
Original post by Az_016

That would be me.

Not really sure why, maybe I'm just rubbish at it, maybe the last 2 papers didn't hit me right (and we were never given the opportunity to do them earlier).
Original post by ben-smith
Oh hai

Really? :lolwut: Did you take part? I thought you of all people... :tongue:
Reply 49

Hi all,
I am not applying for maths but I am going to enter myself for either STEP 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 in the summer depending on how I do on some papers,
Could I get anyone's advice on this please:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1887477
Really? :lolwut: Did you take part? I thought you of all people... :tongue:

I think SMC is a very particular kind of maths, different to STEP. I'm better at STEP than I am at SMC....

watched
Reply 52
What exactly is the Smc ?:') in year 10/11 i did a ukmt thing.... Is that it? I got a gold and then did one on a pink sheet... Is that what you guys are talking about?:smile:
Original post by TRLMaths
What exactly is the Smc ?:') in year 10/11 i did a ukmt thing.... Is that it? I got a gold and then did one on a pink sheet... Is that what you guys are talking about?:smile:

I suspect you were doing the Intermediate Maths Challenge (IMC). This is the Senior Challenge - for older students.
Reply 54
Original post by Mr M
I suspect you were doing the Intermediate Maths Challenge (IMC). This is the Senior Challenge - for older students.

Ahhh okay. My college didn't make me aware of any "senior" paper...? :s-smilie:
Hey guys!

I shall be joining you guys on our quest to beat probably the highest university offer.

I kind of sucked at STEP 1 when I was working through it mid C3 but have C3 C4 and almost FP2 under my belt so hope I'm somewhat better now! I guess if Cambridge have faith in me then I should have a bit more faith in myself too right?
Reply 56
Slightly off-topic but what are you guys putting down for your insurance? :smile:
Original post by Thrug
Slightly off-topic but what are you guys putting down for your insurance? :smile:

UCL (probably)
Original post by Thrug

warwick hopefully but for MORSE not maths if jan exams go as planned :smile:
Original post by Thrug

Warwick (if STEP and my Maths exams this Friday go well) or Durham (in all other conceivable cases) :smile:

Original post by TheUltimateProof
Hey guys!

I shall be joining you guys on our quest to beat probably the highest university offer.

<taking things too literally>

Depending on your outlook on life, the "highest university offer" award should go to Jing_jing who got A*A*A* plus S,1 last year or the Trinity people who got A*AA plus S,S offers this year :s-smilie:

</taking things too literally>

Original post by TheUltimateProof
I kind of sucked at STEP 1 when I was working through it mid C3 but have C3 C4 and almost FP2 under my belt so hope I'm somewhat better now! I guess if Cambridge have faith in me then I should have a bit more faith in myself too right?

Yes :biggrin: it only gets easier with time :smile: soon you'll be knocking out questions like there's no tomorrow :smile:

(back to Physics revision... :facepalm:)

Quick Reply