The Student Room Group

Gap year - medicine

I've applied to medicine and its possible I won't get accepted, So I was wondering how manchester university deals with gap year applications

I'm deciding between a few unis as to what to put down after my gap year and I'd like to know which one is easier to get into out of manchester or nottingham after a gap year. For example which one focuses more indepth on ukcat and how does each one use it, and what do they look at, and basically how to maximise my chances of getting in?

I appreciate any help!
(edited 12 years ago)
I know someone who's here studying medicine after two gap years, which they spent getting relevant experience, so they can't be too worried about it.
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
I know someone who's here studying medicine after two gap years, which they spent getting relevant experience, so they can't be too worried about it.

Hello, I've applied to Manchester and I really loved it when I went but I heard satisfaction for the course/teaching isn't particularly high and I was wondering if you'd be able to give me an insight into why? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by virrkharia
I've applied to medicine and its possible I won't get accepted, So I was wondering how manchester university deals with gap year applications

I'm deciding between a few unis as to what to put down after my gap year and I'd like to know which one is easier to get into out of manchester or nottingham after a gap year. For example which one focuses more indepth on ukcat and how does each one use it, and what do they look at, and basically how to maximise my chances of getting in?

I appreciate any help!

Manchester have no problem with gap year applicants. They are UKCAT whores though, the higher the better. You're looking at a score of about 670 if you want a good chance. I'm in the same situation as you, except I will definitely be taking a gap year (and provided I get a decent UKCAT, I'll be applying to Manc.) Best of luck whatever you decide to go for.
Reply 4
Hey, I've taken a gap year and re-applied to study medicine at manc and have now firmed my offer and will be starting in sept :smile: . I don't think they have any issue with it at all, apart from they will want to see how you've changed/bettered yourself over the year. As long as you get your grades and nail the UKCAT (as well as do work exp, vol work etc) then I'd apply here if i was you :-) but then again I didn't apply to Notts so cant compare.. Good luck.
Reply 5
Original post by Dr.Acula
Manchester have no problem with gap year applicants. They are UKCAT whores though, the higher the better. You're looking at a score of about 670 if you want a good chance. I'm in the same situation as you, except I will definitely be taking a gap year (and provided I get a decent UKCAT, I'll be applying to Manc.) Best of luck whatever you decide to go for.

I know this is a rather late reply but thanks that was really helpful!
I've decided I dont want to do medicine anymore as its not worth it for me in the long run...or the short run I guess! Definitely taking a gap year also, having trouble trying to find a job though!
Appreciate it, Best wishes to you also.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending