The Student Room Group

Should the EU became 1 country (united state)?

Poll

Should the EU become one state?

THIS IS NOT MY OPINON - Im just interested in what people think about this politcally
TYPO- poll should say 'Maybe'

The world is ruled by superstates. the USA, Russia, Brazil. all these countries are enormous, continent covering, powerful countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

The EU is technically the richest of these, with even more GDP than the US or China. However it isnt actually one united state, its a group of completely different and wholly independant states. It doesnt have a united military for example.

So in light of this, Should the EU be like other superstates and integrate to become one single country?

Im from the UK and a few days ago Brazil overtook the UK as the 6th largest economy, we are slowly falling down the ladder (permanently or not, i dont know- we could climb up when we return to growth, however unlikely). However if the Eu was one state it would be able to compete more with and likely outcompete other superstates.

Also the recent European financial crisis is calling for greater integration.

However European countries have a history of friction and many are proud and resisting integration. And who can blame those countries?, however small, they are still currently able to compete with the superstates, Britain, france and Germany for example are still amongst the top ten GDP countries.

thoughts? your opinion on the EU its and its members positions on the world stage?

If Europe doesnt, will it become insignificant?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. Terrible idea.
Reply 2
DR, and to answer your question- over my dead body.
No, there are too many linguistic, cultural and historical disparities for it to be feasible.
yes yes yes
Reply 5
No, Nein, Non!

Never. Without citing any of the history of Europe as to why this would be an amazingly bad idea you just need to look at the present fiasco to see the reasons!

Too many conflicting interests & ideologies, it'd never hold together.
Reply 6
Well the single currency has turned out exceptionally well so theoretically I can't see anything wrong with your idea.
Reply 7
Original post by scriggy
Well the single currency has turned out exceptionally well so theoretically I can't see anything wrong with your idea.

Not my idea.

Not my opinion.

Just a question.
Reply 8
At the moment i would say that there needs to be greater integration before it would be fully feasible however it could well aim to become a federal superstate between 2020-2025 and i would probably support it although the UK would then have to leave the EU and just join the EEC unless we opted to join.
Reply 9
Original post by GunnerBill
No, Nein, Non!

Never. Without citing any of the history of Europe as to why this would be an amazingly bad idea you just need to look at the present fiasco to see the reasons!

Too many conflicting interests & ideologies, it'd never hold together.

Thats true. However the states in the Usa are all different, and it works for them?

The United States of Europe?
Reply 10
In regards to the differing ideologies, federalization would largely nullify these. If Greece no longer controls its own budget for example then it cannot overspend.
Reply 11
Original post by Rakas21
At the moment i would say that there needs to be greater integration before it would be fully feasible however it could well aim to become a federal superstate between 2020-2025 and i would probably support it although the UK would then have to leave the EU and just join the EEC unless we opted to join.

Right.

At the moment i see 2 options for Europe.

1) Become one fully integrated superstate - like the Usa or China.
2) Become completely independant of one another (disband the EU)

Anything inbetween causes uncertainly and inssufficient/unsatisfying government.

I reckon it may have to come to a decision earlier than 2020-25. at this rate.

Im not sure what the UK would do either, what would you want in this scenario?
It'll probably happen at some point, in 10 years or a 100. Not saying how long it will last though.
Perhaps if

A) It was democratic
B) We all spoke the same language
C) We don't end up with richer states funding the poorer ones, that's exactly what made the American Civil War happen.

At least I can imagine it happening with Northern Europe.
Reply 14
Not at the moment. Perhaps in the future, but no time soon.
Reply 15
Original post by Recon1424
Thats true. However the states in the Usa are all different, and it works for them?

The United States of Europe?

USA - Founded from a common history and with a common enemy (us!).

In Europe we've spent the last, well forever, fighting each other. I think it's a simple as that. :smile:

----------------
Economically cash flows around the USA like it should in the Euro zone - i.e. from richer areas to poorer areas via the federal govt. (I am no expert though). But there isn't the resentment because of the common purpose as above. Look how the same process is going down in the Eurozone with money from the central bank going to prop up the "PIGS"*, essentially this money comes from germany and they aren't liking it!

*Portugal, Ireland, Greece & Spain.
(edited 12 years ago)
Sure. The EU and MERCOSUR (and maybe the AU) are laying the seeds for truly global governance, so I ultimately support them. I don't think that the time is right now though, and won't be for a long time - there's a lot of work that needs to be done to prepare even the developed world for a transition to supranational governance.

Nation states divide us, and we squander precious resources fighting stupid wars and competing amongst ourselves. I don't really give a **** if all the languages of the world are erased in favour of a common constructed language or nations lose their identity, I actually want it to happen. National stereotypes are Barnumesque steaming heaps of horse**** - there's nothing unique about the national character of a nation, except perhaps microstates and island states which are small enough to be more akin to a city or town, where there is usually a more distinctive character than across a vast nation.
Reply 17
Original post by Recon1424
the world is ruled by superstates. the USA, Russia, Brazil. all these countries are enormous, continent covering, powerful countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

The EU is technically the richest of these, with even more GDP than the US or China. However it isnt actually one united state, its a group of completely different and wholly independant states. It doesnt have a united military for example.

So in light of this, Should the EU be like other superstates and integrate to become one single country?

Im from the UK and a few days ago Brazil overtook the UK as the 6th largest economy, we are slowly falling down the ladder (permanently or not, i dont know- we could climb up when we return to growth, however unlikely). However if the Eu was one state it would be able to compete more with and likely outcompete other superstates.

Also the recent European financial crisis is calling for greater integration.

However European countries have a history of friction and many are proud and resisting integration. And who can blame them these countries, however small they are still able to compete with the superstates at the moment, Britain, france and Germany for example are still amongst the top ten GDP countries.

thoughts? your opinion on the EU and its and its members positions on the world stage?

If Europe doesnt, will it become insignificant?

THIS IS NOT MY OPINON - Im just interested in what people think about this politcally
TYPO- poll should say 'Maybe'

I don't see why we all need to merge together to solidify our position on the world stage i mean despite only being the fraction of the size of china,america,brazil we punch well above our weight. Also by 2050 britain will be the largest economy in europe with Germany not too far behind us and france just a little further back infact Britain and Germany will still be in the top ten largest economies in the world 9th and 10th to be precise and some economists say that they could be even further up the economic ladder closer relationships are good but becoming one state just seems a bit silly economically we don't need to and we have Nato for everything military. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Sure. The EU and MERCOSUR (and maybe the AU) are laying the seeds for truly global governance, so I ultimately support them. I don't think that the time is right now though, and won't be for a long time - there's a lot of work that needs to be done to prepare even the developed world for a transition to supranational governance.

Nation states divide us, and we squander precious resources fighting stupid wars and competing amongst ourselves. I don't really give a **** if all the languages of the world are erased in favour of a common constructed language or nations lose their identity, I actually want it to happen. National stereotypes are Barnumesque steaming heaps of horse**** - there's nothing unique about the national character of a nation, except perhaps microstates and island states which are small enough to be more akin to a city or town, where there is usually a more distinctive character than across a vast nation.

I can agree with some of that. Great Britain wouldnt stop being British because it was no longer a country just as Texas is different from New England but their the same country.

States have individual identities. Great Britian not being a country however is hard to grasp. And Britain does seem quite a lot different to mainland Europe. I think it would be hardest for Great Britain.
Reply 19
The last thing Europe needs is more bureaucracy. Despite this current trend of further integration, which is simply increasing the scale of the problem, I wouldn't be surprised if we see another economic crash in Europe. This could lead to a significant shift in the politics of the continent, but that could take some time and as with the current situation, it wouldn't be easy.

Quick Reply

Latest