The Student Room Group

Prereading for economics at Edinburgh

Hi!

This is my first post, so please excuse if this question has already been asked (and I could not find it...)

I am going to study economics at University of Edinburgh this fall, and I want to be as well prepared as possible. I have previously taken economics HL at the IB, but I would like some suggestions about what I may read to get a taste of university level economics at university of Edinburgh!

Georg
Reply 1
Original post by georgj
Hi!

This is my first post, so please excuse if this question has already been asked (and I could not find it...)

I am going to study economics at University of Edinburgh this fall, and I want to be as well prepared as possible. I have previously taken economics HL at the IB, but I would like some suggestions about what I may read to get a taste of university level economics at university of Edinburgh!

Georg

I'd suggest a book on Econometrics and the maths used in economics would be a good place to start, as it seems a lot of people are shocked at the amount of maths in economics, and feel unprepared (despite doing Maths at A level or HL).
Reply 2
Original post by FDR
I'd suggest a book on Econometrics and the maths used in economics would be a good place to start, as it seems a lot of people are shocked at the amount of maths in economics, and feel unprepared (despite doing Maths at A level or HL).

Thank you for the advice! Any particular title you would recommend?
Reply 3
I have Principles of Economics by Mankiw, but I also would like to hear what current undergraduates would recommend for prereading :smile:
Reply 4
Do not touch Econometrics, it is not worth it before your course. Your time would be better spent on making sure your knowledge of maths and statistics is solid and then Mankiw's Principles of Economics as said by bonana567 is a great choice.

Best choice would be to look at what your first year modules at Edinburgh say are the recommended textbooks are, because if you want to buy books, you should buy ones that you will then go on to use.

Quick Reply