The Student Room Group

Manhunt: Police Officer Shot Dead.

Police tonight named the man they are hunting over a double shooting which left a police officer dead and another man injured.

Police launched the manhunt after the shootings in Redbridge Road, Clacton, at 3.30pm today.

One man was killed and another injured.

The force has confirmed the dead man was a police officer, understood to have been in his 40s and living nearby. He was named locally as Ian Dibell.

A spokesman said: "Residents are being urged to remain indoors while armed officers locate the gunman.

"Neighbourhood policing officers are maintaining a high-profile and visible presence in the community, supporting victims and witnesses.

Link: http://news.sky.com/story/958031/manhunt-after-police-officer-shot-dead

This seems to be an isolated event, no? This kind of thing doesn't happen around this area right?

Anybody else in the area right now?

Update:

According to the Telegraph, it appears the officer was trying to be a hero:

An off-duty policeman was shot dead after he rushed out of his house to tackle a gunman who was 'firing wildly' in a residential street.

The officer, named locally as PC Ian Dibell, intervened when he saw a man and a woman being chased down the street by the shooter.
Police named the man they are hunting as 64-year-old Peter Reeve, who lives in Fairlop Close, where the first shots were fired.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9387790/Gunman-on-run-after-policeman-shot-dead-and-man-injured-in-Essex.html

I'm interested - are off-duty police officers under an legal obligation to intervene in a crime taking place?

Also, if you were an off-duty officer, would you intervene like the officer did above?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

That was incredibly reckless; he should have known better than to approach a hostile, armed target, especially considering he was a police officer.
Reply 2
Original post by whyumadtho
That was incredibly reckless; he should have known better than to approach a hostile, armed target, especially considering he was a police officer.

It's hard to make that comment without knowing the full story.
If, for example, he was firing at a child I think anyone would have a hard time not intervening, police officer or not.
thats like asking would a doctor intervene if he was off duty and a man was dieing. I hope any police officer off duty would intervene. You do the job because you want to. R.I.P to the officer.
Reply 4
Original post by Elwyn
It's hard to make that comment without knowing the full story.
If, for example, he was firing at a child I think anyone would have a hard time not intervening, police officer or not.

Man and a woman.

I have to say I think it's pretty low to criticise someone shot trying to save others. If every police officer was this brave we'd have a better police force.
Reply 5
Another excuse to further crackdown on gun laws?
Reply 6
Original post by snozzle

Presumably the gun was already illegal, so no.
Original post by Norton1
Man and a woman.

I have to say I think it's pretty low to criticise someone shot trying to save others. If every police officer was this brave we'd have a better police force.

Well said Norton.
Reply 8
Original post by snozzle

I was thinking the same thing, I hope the firearm is illegal so it doesn't have any implications on the gun laws but this guy doesn't look like your stereotypical armed maniac so it could well be a legal firearm.
Original post by Norton1
Man and a woman. I have to say I think it's pretty low to criticise someone shot trying to save others. If every police officer was this brave we'd have a better police force.
It's not simply a matter of being brave, it's about making calculated decisions to ensure everyone in the situation is kept safe. It is dangerous for a single, unarmed and unprotected officer/person to approach somebody who is shooting wildly, which is why all of the advice warns people to stay away until an armed response unit can take charge of the situation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Norton1
Man and a woman.

Just saying the full story may reveal some other facts.
Original post by snozzle

One of witnesses (RAF veteran apparently, so should know what hes talking about) said the man was holding a revolver, which of course are already illegal to own in this country. If that turns out to be true, if anything it should only reinforce the notion that gun control doesnt work and only renders the law abiding defenceless.

Hope they catch the bastard soon before he kills any more people. Im only 30 minutes from Clacton so i would be lying if i said i wasnt a little anxious to see this resolved quickly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Scott1541
I was thinking the same thing, I hope the firearm is illegal so it doesn't have any implications on the gun laws but this guy doesn't look like your stereotypical armed maniac so it could well be a legal firearm.

There aren't much in the way of legal firearms that can fire several shots in succession without reloading.

Says to me it's a semiautomatic handgun.
Reply 13
Original post by Bill_Gates
thats like asking would a doctor intervene if he was off duty and a man was dieing. I hope any police officer off duty would intervene. You do the job because you want to. R.I.P to the officer.

Agreed. I don't think this man can be condemned for trying to diffuse this type of situation. His job is to protect the public. No way would he have let himself just stand around doing nothing, even if he wasn't meant to/had no obligation to (hence he did get involved, and paid the ultimate price for his courage). Having officers like this brings respect (from me anyway) to the force. May he rest in peace and the killer brought swiftly to justice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by marcusfox
There aren't much in the way of legal firearms that can fire several shots in succession without reloading.

Says to me it's a semiautomatic handgun.

Pretty much every firearm can fire several shots in succession. From this description it does sound like either a semi-automatic handgun or a double action revolver though, which would be consistent with what a post above claims a witness saw, but realistically it could be anything.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Nirgilis
Agreed. I don't think this man can be condemned for trying to diffuse this type of situation. His job is to protect the public. No way would he have let himself just stand around doing nothing, even if he wasn't meant to/had no obligation to (hence he did get involved, and paid the ultimate price for his courage). Having officers like this brings respect (from me anyway) to the force. May he rest in peace and the killer brought swiftly to justice.

Exactly i have thought about joining the force and first thing that came to mind was would i intervene if i was off duty? Personally i felt i couldnt all the time so i've gone off the idea. You have to be dedicated, he must of been a great officer.
I hope this guy doesn't come to Colchester...

Sent from my HTC Desire
Pretty much every firearm can fire several shots in succession. From this description it does sound like either a semi-automatic handgun or a double action revolver though, which would be consistent with what a post above claims a witness saw, but realistically it could be anything.

I was thinking legal as in licenced shotgun or rifle.

I have limited experience of these, but in the shotgun case I had two before I had to reload and the rifle, well I had to reload it after every shot.
Reply 18
Original post by UniversalAutocrat

I'm interested - are off-duty police officers under an legal obligation to intervene in a crime taking place?

Also, if you were an off-duty officer, would you intervene like the officer did above?

As someone who has a parent who is a copper, off duty police officers are under NO legal obligation to intervene.
They could stand idly by if they really wanted to, but most are used to intervening in the line of duty - hence if I was an off duty officer I would probably intervene.

There are some exceptions to this rule, for example, on some forms of public transport officers are allowed on for free if they show their warrant card - however they are expected to intervene if trouble kicks off.
Reply 19

No legal civilian firearm in this country can :fyi:

The likes of Dunblane saw to that. Three shots is the most you will ever get in succession from a legal firearm in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest