The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Ronove
I'm fairly sure all colleges accept CSAS applicants.

According to the official CSAS information document at http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/forms/csas.pdf, all Cambridge colleges except the 4 mature colleges participate in the CSAS program.
Reply 321
Nutter
According to the official CSAS information document at http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/forms/csas.pdf, all Cambridge colleges except the 4 mature colleges participate in the CSAS program.

Oh yeah, whoops. That's because mature applicants get special consideration anyway and so are advised not to apply through CSAS, if I remember correctly.
Just how over subscribed is Balliol?
Reply 323
HenvY

http://www.ox.ac.uk/gazette/univstats/

Page 8 (Table 8A) of the 2005 statistics gives you an idea.

Check the other PDF files for similar stats.
taht table just shows applications/acceptances based on maintained acceptances, not actual numbers or percentage of applications to college accepted :frown:
Reply 325
HenvY

Prospectus?? Page 142.
You can download the relevant part - http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/ugp0708colleges.pdf

Over 2003-2005 above the university average for some subjects, bang on it for others & below for some.
Toscar
i know this is all written years ago, but what kind of stuff did he get up to?

(okay, now its a really long time ago)
what did he do?
*tried to find an answer, but didn't*
yeah, i'd like to know that too, I'm intrigued...

Also, any stereotypes for Worcester coll. Oxford?
Reply 328
antipotato
Also, any stereotypes for Worcester coll. Oxford?

Um... Worcester students are saucy?:p:
hahaha. cool... :biggrin:
Worcester has the highest proportion of people from private schools of any college, though I know too few people from there to tell if they play up to that stereotype or not.
What do people think of St Johns Oxford?

My brother got pooled there for a 2nd interview for E&M, but I never met anyone from there or went there as an undergrad.
St. John's is nice: I sing in their choir and our rugby team and orchestra are joint so I see a lot of the place. It's stupendously wealthy which means cheaper food and battels (the food is not bad though not fantastic, at ordinary hall anyway). It's very big, usefully positioned and has a lovely garden inside. It's also quite pro-active for recruiting state school students with a 70% proportion, the highest in the university. On the downside, they do seem to work their students quite hard, and are generally in the top 3 colleges academically (though not quite as bad as Merton).
Reply 333
Huw Davies
St. John's is nice: I sing in their choir and our rugby team and orchestra are joint so I see a lot of the place. It's stupendously wealthy which means cheaper food and battels (the food is not bad though not fantastic, at ordinary hall anyway). It's very big, usefully positioned and has a lovely garden inside. It's also quite pro-active for recruiting state school students with a 70% proportion, the highest in the university. On the downside, they do seem to work their students quite hard, and are generally in the top 3 colleges academically (though not quite as bad as Merton).

:ditto: As far as I know, the general stereotype for St John's is that it's both a terribly rich and a terribly nice college.
Reply 334
however it is a very big college, which can be quite isolating (particularly for arts students) i know someone doing history there and it isnt that easy to get to know people as the sheer size means you dont see people regularly. im at exeter which is a much smaller college and the advantage of that is u really know people as u cant avoid them so u dont get isolated.
Reply 335
Ah, yes. I forgot "terribly big".
I was wondering about the accomodation, I can't find explicit information about those. It's one of the most important aspect for making my decision. I'd like to be able to get accomodation for my whole undergraduate study and I'd like it to have an internet connection and en suite facilities. It's also a big plus if it's got some kind of a kitchen, as I'm keen on cooking my own food. Most prospectuses don't mention at least one of my criteria... Which college would you recommend?
Reply 337
Christ's would seem to meet your requirements except you wouldn't have an ensuit all the way through your degree, however.
Hipparchia
I was wondering about the accomodation, I can't find explicit information about those. It's one of the most important aspect for making my decision. I'd like to be able to get accomodation for my whole undergraduate study and I'd like it to have an internet connection and en suite facilities. It's also a big plus if it's got some kind of a kitchen, as I'm keen on cooking my own food. Most prospectuses don't mention at least one of my criteria... Which college would you recommend?

King's...if you're lucky you could have en-suite accomodation all 3 years. Most students have it for at least their first year. And we have internet connection and kitchens (not great but ok), but most colleges have those really...
Reply 339
Hipparchia

I don't know of an exception to the following, but I'm not saying they're facts:

- All undegraduate colleges will give you accomodation for your whole undergraduate period
- All colleges will have internet connectivity in their rooms
- Most colleges will have rooms with en-suite facilities. However, in most cases you wont get these rooms. I can only tell you with accuracy about Emmanuel College, where the only en-suite rooms available are for 3rd year students (and special circumstances) who come top of the ballot.
- Almost all colleges will have cooking facilities, which are often shared kitchens. Some colleges will have private kitchenettes in their suite's (Emmanuel being an example - although their usefulness is limited because I believe the hobs have been taken out and replaced with a microwave).

So, unless you make specific inquiries, or you are an exceptional circumstance, I would expect the following:

A reasonable chance of living in an ensuite set for one of your undergrad years.

That's what my experiences would lead me to believe anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending