The Student Room Group

UVM Kosice

Scroll to see replies

I would advise not bothering with IMS and going straight to the unis to apply. IMS basically charge you the extra registration fee and then proceed to do absolutely nothing to justify them having it. For UVM just email [email protected] about it or send the application forms directly to the uni.
heyho, ive still not heard anything from them, do you know when acceptance chat happens or is it just when they feel like it?... i could probably get used to that...
It's when they feel like it generally. Slovak post is very very slow. It can take ages for stuff to get here. They have also just fired their secretary Nicol for being useless so hopefully things will get done faster now when the new person settles in. For now the Vice Rector seems to be partly in charge because it's her email up there and I know she is really busy. Don't worry about it though you will hear eventually! :smile:
ahh shame about Nicol! oh well, i think i pissed her off anyway. Thanks :smile:
Hi, I am also considering applying to Warsaw and Kosice to study Veterinary. I was wondering is the last date for sending an application through IMS at the end of June or at the end of July.
My initial plan was to apply to the UK Vet schools next year but if I can still apply through IMS to Warsaw and Kosice I would favour starting in September of this year.
I can't seem to find any uk/Irish students studying in Warsaw either. If anyone could give me some sample questions from the entrance exam it would be greatly appreciated!
www.medstudy.org has the last date for applying somewhere in it, but its cheaper if you apply earlier, that date might have already passed though. I didnt apply through IMS, just applied straight to the uni
Reply 26
I have applied to SGGW now because at IMS they told me that they have a 4,5 year graduate course. My other option is Wroclaw in Poland which looks very good, but its not on the IMS website so it takes a little bit more effort to find it!! Anyway I have asked IMS for contact details of current vet students at SGGW but so far I'm already asking the same question for 2 weeks now haha. I chose SGGW because they are AEVA accredited and unfortunately Kosice isn't!
Reply 27
Hi

I'm thinkin of applying to Kosice for 2010 entry, what are the chances of getting in like?

I've got a degree in Zoology from Liverpool Uni, I'm also a qualified teacher, will that stand in my favour?

Cheers

Mike
mike131186
Hi

I'm thinkin of applying to Kosice for 2010 entry, what are the chances of getting in like?

I've got a degree in Zoology from Liverpool Uni, I'm also a qualified teacher, will that stand in my favour?

Cheers

Mike

Dont worry, you'll get in absolutely no bother, you could probs start in 2009 if you just gave them a call. Im going this sept, so if you have any questions feel free x
Reply 29
Thanks for the reply, so as long as you have a degree in something releveant then there is not much competition for places?

Although would love to start ASAP I'm gona need some time to raise the money so I'm probably going to do a combination of teaching and loan applying in the meantime and apply for 2010.

Although I've checked it all out on the website etc and read this forum, forgive me, but I'm still a bit skeptical of the whole thing, what are the costs involved exactly? I know it's about £4,500 in fees but what about Visa's etc required to study in Slovakia?

Cheers and good luck for Sept you must be excited!

Mike
mike131186
Thanks for the reply, so as long as you have a degree in something releveant then there is not much competition for places?

Although would love to start ASAP I'm gona need some time to raise the money so I'm probably going to do a combination of teaching and loan applying in the meantime and apply for 2010.

Although I've checked it all out on the website etc and read this forum, forgive me, but I'm still a bit skeptical of the whole thing, what are the costs involved exactly? I know it's about £4,500 in fees but what about Visa's etc required to study in Slovakia?

Cheers and good luck for Sept you must be excited!

Mike

Haha yeh i am excited. Yeh you're right it is a pretty daunting thing and it seems like theres so much to work out, but really its all pretty simple.

You'll get in fine with your degree, so no need to worry about that. Its actually around £5500/year for fees because is 6500 euros which at the moment is working out at £5500. Accommodation in uni dorms is 115 euros/month, which at the moment is £98. I dont know about food and living expenses yet, but its a lot cheaper then in the UK.

As for visas, as long as you're an EU citizen then you dont need a visa, all you do once you get there is pop to the police station where you are issued with a temporary stay permit (or something like that!). Im not sure whether you need to do that every year, but its very simple and obviously all the foreign students do it so it wont be a problem.

Hope this helps, and anything else just fire away! I like talking about it lol :smile:
Reply 31
tigercallie
You'll get in fine with your degree, so no need to worry about that. Its actually around £5500/year for fees because is 6500 euros which at the moment is working out at £5500. Accommodation in uni dorms is 115 euros/month, which at the moment is £98. I dont know about food and living expenses yet, but its a lot cheaper then in the UK.

Are graduates still eligible for the maintenance loan from student finance if we go to a european vet school?

Also when you say "you'll get in fine" - is that because theres little competition? also how and when do you find out if you have got in?

Sorry for all the questions, I just got an email from UVM saying they've registered me for entry (though I havent actually applied :s-smilie:) so I've just realised the possibility of vet school is very much still open to me so i'm suddenly very excited and wanting to find out everything I can!!
givvy
Are graduates still eligible for the maintenance loan from student finance if we go to a european vet school?

Also when you say "you'll get in fine" - is that because theres little competition? also how and when do you find out if you have got in?

Sorry for all the questions, I just got an email from UVM saying they've registered me for entry (though I havent actually applied :s-smilie:) so I've just realised the possibility of vet school is very much still open to me so i'm suddenly very excited and wanting to find out everything I can!!

Hahahaha! sorry i cant help but laugh that you've got in and havent even applied, thats so funny, and so typical. Basically theyre nothing like vet schools or unis in general in britain. As you've just experienced, there is a distinct lack of organisation. At first i was worried about this, you know, thinking it must be a dodgy uni and things, but ive come to realise that eastern european ways are just very very different to our "masses of paper work, everything perfectly in order" british ways. How you got accepted without applying is beyond me though. Were you in touch about applying?

Anyway, as for your questions, on the money front, you pretty much have to fund it yourself, you can take out career development loans from banks like HSBC to help, but as far as im aware there is no help available. However, im scottish and have already done a degree so your position might be different! When i say you'll get in fine, its basically because if you have the qualifications you will get in, i dont think there really is any competition to speak of, but very few people apply, because even after this the grad course class is only around 25 people. Oh and also, it was actually my vet i did work experience with who told me to go for slovakia (another reason why i was drawn away from thinking it was dodgy). He said he'd had placement people from there and they were very very good, so i shouldnt discount it as an option.

Dont worry about asking tonnes of questions! i like answering :yep: do you want to add me on msn maybe and i can actually tell you stuff about it easier? Im [email protected] Also would you be doing the 6 year course or the 4 year? and what did your email say? because ive had a letter saying ive got in, but i havent had an email about being registered. so i was just wondering if possibly we got the same thing? or something different? Those crazy slovaks :wink:
Reply 33
tigercallie

Dont worry about asking tonnes of questions! i like answering :yep: do you want to add me on msn maybe and i can actually tell you stuff about it easier? Im [email protected] Also would you be doing the 6 year course or the 4 year? and what did your email say? because ive had a letter saying ive got in, but i havent had an email about being registered. so i was just wondering if possibly we got the same thing? or something different? Those crazy slovaks :wink:

HAHA I KNOW! I emailed them months ago about whether my degree would be sufficient for entry onto the grad course and whether I'd have to take the entrance exams and the reply I got said "Thankyou for your interest in our university, I will registrate you for the new academic year..." so I never actually applied or gave them any info so I'm not really sure whats going on.

I'd probably be going for the 4 year course for 2010 entry (so I can save up a bit and organise a loan etc).

yeah I will add you as I have loads of questions haha!

Thankyou!
givvy
HAHA I KNOW! I emailed them months ago about whether my degree would be sufficient for entry onto the grad course and whether I'd have to take the entrance exams and the reply I got said "Thankyou for your interest in our university, I will registrate you for the new academic year..." so I never actually applied or gave them any info so I'm not really sure whats going on.

I'd probably be going for the 4 year course for 2010 entry (so I can save up a bit and organise a loan etc).

yeah I will add you as I have loads of questions haha!

Thankyou!

ok cool well im on now! registrate lol...
I'll most likely be applying for 2010 entry :yep:

Can't wait :woo:
Reply 36
martin_mac1
I'll most likely be applying for 2010 entry :yep:

Can't wait :woo:

Same here, still waiting to hear from them though I heard it takes a while..
According to a vet on another forum http://www.vetclick.com/forum/read.php?6,14161 graduates studying in Kosice aren't elegible to practice in the UK:eek:

Is this correct?
martin_mac1
According to a vet on another forum http://www.vetclick.com/forum/read.php?6,14161 graduates studying in Kosice aren't elegible to practice in the UK:eek:

Is this correct?

that post is 3 years old, so it could have changed since then. but ive read other stuff on that forum and that guy frequently gets stuff wrong.
Annaconda
that post is 3 years old, so it could have changed since then. but ive read other stuff on that forum and that guy frequently gets stuff wrong.

That post was a few minutes ago, I was the one asking asking the question!

Quick Reply

Latest