The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Our uni was giving some for free.
Reply 2
people seem to thinnk that u shouldn't scream help when being attacked. Instead screaming fire will attract more strangers to help you.

that's nonsense. if i hear fire i'm a getting the hell out the way. only a wierdo would run into the fire hazard.

people need to watch backdraft.
Reply 3
You can get them from Tesco, or a DIY store and that would probably be better. Or some unis give them out for free. Some shops do if you work there too.
Reply 4
Get em for free at my uni...couldn't be much more ****ing annoyin if they tried.
Reply 5
All I will say is this; my sister was raped a couple of years ago and since then she began to carry one around with her. She's since stopped though, so I don't know if she's become more self-confident or whether or not she doesn't recommend them - probably a mixture of both. But they are really heavy to carry around, they are quite chunky and the batteries are a little strange so are relatively difficult to replace. Having said that the noise is indeed very loud and high pitched. To be honest though, I think you are better off saving your money and just being wise about personal safety; ie. don't wear headphones when you are on your own late at night, avoid darkly lit areas, always tell somebody where you are etc...after all, the alarm isn't actually going to prevent you from being attacked in the first instance.
A knife is probably going to come in more handy than an alarm.
zhivago
All I will say is this; my sister was raped a couple of years ago and since then she began to carry one around with her. She's since stopped though, so I don't know if she's become more self-confident or whether or not she doesn't recommend them - probably a mixture of both. But they are really heavy to carry around, they are quite chunky and the batteries are a little strange so are relatively difficult to replace. Having said that the noise is indeed very loud and high pitched. To be honest though, I think you are better off saving your money and just being wise about personal safety; ie. don't wear headphones when you are on your own late at night, avoid darkly lit areas, always tell somebody where you are etc...after all, the alarm isn't actually going to prevent you from being attacked in the first instance.

no im not getting it so i can walk around at 1 in the morning with headphones on. but i would just be safer knowing that i have one. some people say that cant scream when they are attacked, out of shock. im not being over dramatic like , im going to get raped. but id rather have one in my pocket. why not?
and im sorry about your sister, some people are just idiots who deserve to be locked away forever and actually made to think about what they have done
or a samurai sword hidden in a walking stick :biggrin:
Reply 9
gas_panic!
A knife is probably going to come in more handy than an alarm.

But would be an illegal weapon.
Reply 10
Mace? :biggrin:
Reply 11
funny story about having a rape alarm actually on a very unfunny topic! Was in Paris with my boyfriend this summer and the maid in our hotel room had obviously set it off in our room while we were out, unable to switch it off she'd put all the quilts from the beds and all of our clothes on top of it! When we arrived back to the room (a little bit drunk) we were sooo confused!
I think this is a great idea for your safety :biggrin:. You dont have to get huge ones, Ive seen them in all different shapes and sizes and some are really discreet. For ultimate discreetness, nothing is more effective than a good set of lungs, provided ur mouth is available for screaming, if not, buy one of those!!
yeah Pepper spray might be good, that would knock them down!
I'm not really sure if personal alarms work that well. In my experience people tend to ignore alarms, especially in cities. It's just another background noise - whereas screaming isn't. Up to you though.

You can get these little high decibel dealies that are aimed to stop pickpockets. Not sure what they're called but they're pretty small and light.
is Pepper spray illegal? Heard it from a mate of mine, so now she puts deodrant spray in her bag instead :biggrin:
Reply 16
can you put pepper spray on your food?
I have a rape alarm and its tiny but mighty. Its not heavy at all , its the size of a small keyring and all you do is pull the cord out to set it off. I think you get them free from the police-its small and silver and called 'attacka'. I even customised mine with a pink flower.
The way i see it , they might not be brilliant but in that situation you need all the help you can get.Now im away from home my mum insists i always have it in my bag as does my boyfriend.
Also mine has a tiny little torch on it which is great for getting keys in locks in the dark and reassuring if your on a dark path alone.
All in all it meaures about 5cm by 3cm.
Hope i helped!
--------------
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rape-Attack-Panic-Security-Alarm-VERY-LOUD-Torch_W0QQitemZ5820451227QQcategoryZ48636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This one is similar but i think mine is smaller.
--------------
I find in that situation , pull my alarm , run and start screaming for help.
Reply 18
LizzyLizzy
I find in that situation , pull my alarm , run and start screaming for help.

And throw the cord away as far as you can, so the attacker can't grab the alarm and cord off you and shut it up.
good point.

Latest