The Student Room Group

rumbling/noisy stomach- solutions?

This might not seem like a big problem for most people, but it’s a rather embarrassing one for me.

My stomach is always rumbling. It’s not because I’m hungry, because sometimes it rumbles just after I’ve eaten, so it can't be that.

The problem here is it starts to rumble and make a loud noise when everything is quite, in exams for instance, or in lectures/seminars. Usually it's fine, but as soon as the room goes quiet, Bam! My stomach will start to rumble and it's embarrassing because i think people might be thinking 'ughh she just farted!' :colondollar: Then i have to start rusting papers and coughing to cover the noise. It's quite loud, and makes a weird sound like air churning around inside my stomach. When it starts to rumble i can't concentrate on my work, and try and stop it from making noise, usually by taking long breaths like pregnant people do during contractions. :tongue: sometimes i fold my arms and press them on my stomach and it helps for a little while.

Is this normal? Does it happen to a lot of people? and is there anything i can take to stop it from making such a loud noise?...

The weird thing is, when I’m alone or at home, it doesn’t make a noise, it's quiet, but as soon as i go into uni or I’m around people, it starts to growl, and i get very embarrassed and just want the ground to swallow me up. :getmecoat:

tl;dr : Stomach rumbles/growls very loudly, how can i stop it?
Chewing gum can cause rumbling, so do hot drinks, so perhaps stay away from those. It is terrible in a quiet or social situation, I know. If you know it is going to happen try tensing your abs, shuffle your papers and look questioningly at the person next to you as if he done it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
This keeps happening to me now aswell. Weird, because it's only started happening in the last month or so. So embaressing in a quite room though :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Chewing gum can cause rumbling, so do hot drinks, so perhaps stay away from those. It is terrible in a quiet or social situation, I know. If you know it is going to happen try tensing your abs, shuffle your papers and look questioningly at the person next to you as if he done it.

this happens to me when I eat unhealthy foods from McDonalds/Burger king. I had a very embarrassing incident 2 years ago, I have not entered their restaurants ever since. lol

So it could be because of your diet.
I usually get this when im really really hungry. Like someone else said however, chewing gum can often make this worse, so I would advise against it. If you have to chew gum, only do for such a short time, ie 5mins, and then get rid of it.
Reply 5
I don't chew gum anymore because that didnt help the problem. I honestly don't know why it only happens when things are quiet, it's like my stomach WANTS to embarrass me. :frown:

This happened again yesterday during our seminar, the whole room was quiet, and suddenly all you could hear was my stomach growling. I has to hold my breath as long as i could to stop it. It was v.embarrassing.
Reply 6
Probably not eating enough or leaving it too long before you do eat something.
It could be because you are thinking about it...I know that sounds weird, but when I think about not wanting my stomach to growl etc then it does.
At home you are comfortable and are doing things that distract you so you don't think about it.
Perhaps just try and concentrate hard on whatever it is you are doing, and if you do this enough you will start to forget about it and hopefully it wont happen as much.
Works with me :s
im hoping someone will post something that will help my diss is nearly done but library time with noisy tummy = bbbaaaad! lol
my boyfriends tummy makes noises when sits a certain way.... thats weird!
x
i used to get this a lot, especially in exams/quiet places just as you said, it's so werid and, yes, embarrassing!
i find it's worst when i'm up early in the morning, or maybe haven't had enough sleep, or if i've eaten crap food i think, though i'm not exactly sure what caused it because i don't eat a lot of juno food etc :s-smilie:

i dont really get it much any more, though i do sometimes, i wish i could tell you exactly how to stop it! maybe make sure you are getting enough sleep, and eating decent food more often than not etc, and try not to worry about it, as hard as that is :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Mine does this! Just out of interest, are you quite slim? It only seems to happen to the skinnier members of society that I know, and it gets worse when I eat too :frown: I've taken to squirming around a bit because that generally stops it, but it does look quite odd, so if you come up with any better solutions.. :biggrin:
Reply 11
Ahh, the worst is when you're in an exam...
My tummy used to rumble often, but now I just snack on fruit so it's fine now :smile:
Reply 12
It could be:

- Anxiety
- Eating your food too fast
I fine Rennee tablets for indigestion help :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by tsrstar
This might not seem like a big problem for most people, but it’s a rather embarrassing one for me.

My stomach is always rumbling. It’s not because I’m hungry, because sometimes it rumbles just after I’ve eaten, so it can't be that.

The problem here is it starts to rumble and make a loud noise when everything is quite, in exams for instance, or in lectures/seminars. Usually it's fine, but as soon as the room goes quiet, Bam! My stomach will start to rumble and it's embarrassing because i think people might be thinking 'ughh she just farted!' :colondollar: Then i have to start rusting papers and coughing to cover the noise. It's quite loud, and makes a weird sound like air churning around inside my stomach. When it starts to rumble i can't concentrate on my work, and try and stop it from making noise, usually by taking long breaths like pregnant people do during contractions. :tongue: sometimes i fold my arms and press them on my stomach and it helps for a little while.

Is this normal? Does it happen to a lot of people? and is there anything i can take to stop it from making such a loud noise?...

The weird thing is, when I’m alone or at home, it doesn’t make a noise, it's quiet, but as soon as i go into uni or I’m around people, it starts to growl, and i get very embarrassed and just want the ground to swallow me up. :getmecoat:

tl;dr : Stomach rumbles/growls very loudly, how can i stop it?

Im exactly the same :/ really bad, hate it, and like u say its only when at school not at home on my own ... i think its related to stress, because you think its going to rumble, it will... thats what i found out in psychology anyways :P

Latest