The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Can anyone help me?

I want to upload my written work but it won't allow you to upload more than 2 MB. I have one essay which is 2.5 MB so that is fixable, but my other essay is 7.5 MB.
Any tricks to get around this? I study Archaeology so we are required to use as many images as possible, which is where the file size is coming from; I can't just delete 20 essential graphs and photos from my essay only to be able to upload it!

Edit: I am applying for an MPhil in Cuneiform Studies btw ^_^ Hi!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 81
Original post by danielj315
That's 2 of us so far :wink:. Bit bummed at them upping their fees to ~£10,000, so it's a scholarship or nothing now!

Yes, I'm irritated by the fees increase too. :eek: I'm totally relying on scholarships too. For the moment though, I am going to worry only about the admission. If I do get in, only then perhaps I'll spend sleepless nights over the finances.
Reply 82
Original post by Balth
Hi Scout and Danielj315

Not to be overly direct but I'm thinking of applying to the same course but not sure if i'd actually be good enough. What unis did you both go to and what degrees did you get?

Thanks

Hey Balth! I've also spent the past six months deciding whether to apply or not. I've no idea whether I am good enough because I'm an international student and don't really know what exactly the British universities look for in "suitable" candidates. :s-smilie:

Anyhoo, here's my profile:
Currently pursuing Bachelor of Arts with Honours in History from India. I've managed a 74% average in the first two years and can safely say that I'll probably have a final score of at least 72-73% by next June. I am also fluent in French, besides two other Indian languages (Hindi and Punjabi) but I don't know how much that will count. Not much outside extra-curricular work like NGOs or anything. I've only been involved with college activities like the quiz team, heading the History Association, editing the college magazine and being on the board of the local Rotaract Club. And although my university (Panjab University) and college are pretty well ranked in India, I don't think they're anywhere near any of the good British or American schools. So, I'm not counting too much on that. I am just hoping that my recommendations, personal statement and scores will help me out. And I've no relevant work experience at all. Is it considered important enough for admissions?

If you don't mind my asking, what is your profile? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by angelmxxx
Hi everyone!

How are you deciding who to choose as your referees? I'm applying for a taught Masters but I haven't really started my undergraduate dissertation yet so I don't feel I can ask my dissertation supervisor. I don't think many of my module tutors from last year know me well enough to write a reference as I only had fortnightly/twice termly group seminars with them. I can't imagine that I'll have got to know any of my new tutors well enough for them to write a reference by early November so I'm a bit stuck!

I really struggled too! I don't really feel like I can ask such a time commitment of anyone in my departments really, plus they barely know who I am anyway. Turns out though archaeologists are just lovely people even when they don't really know you so I asked my 3 most relevant lecturers (one of them being my dissertation supervisor). I asked a lecturer in Classics who actually knows who I am as well but he didn't want to do it; that was awkward. Damn Classics.
Original post by Zenobia
Can anyone help me?

I want to upload my written work but it won't allow you to upload more than 2 MB. I have one essay which is 2.5 MB so that is fixable, but my other essay is 7.5 MB.
Any tricks to get around this? I study Archaeology so we are required to use as many images as possible, which is where the file size is coming from; I can't just delete 20 essential graphs and photos from my essay only to be able to upload it!

Edit: I am applying for an MPhil in Cuneiform Studies btw ^_^ Hi!

I'm a Mary's too! :smile: Obviously the best college.

Also:
Yay Sophie! Another Physicist! :smile: Who are you using for references? I've got the same problem - I have someone from the physics department who knows me well, and someone who I worked with over summer for a project.. but my 3rd year tutor is moving away and says she won't help me :frown:
Reply 85
Original post by TheRandomer

Also:
Yay Sophie! Another Physicist! :smile: Who are you using for references? I've got the same problem - I have someone from the physics department who knows me well, and someone who I worked with over summer for a project.. but my 3rd year tutor is moving away and says she won't help me :frown:

Whoo yay! If you´re a 3rd year, how do we not know each other?
Reply 86

Also:

Hi, yeah same problem i've got my personal tutor, and a supervisor from a placement last summer and i'm waiting for my 3rd year tutor but I think he's way at the moment
Reply 87
Original post by sophie 123
Hi, yeah same problem i've got my personal tutor, and a supervisor from a placement last summer and i'm waiting for my 3rd year tutor but I think he's way at the moment

They fired my tutor. Good times x.x
I miss him.
Original post by Zenobia
Whoo yay! If you´re a 3rd year, how do we not know each other?

I'm going into 4th year.. my sig is a little outdated oops! :redface:
Are you going into 3rd year this year then? I know a couple of archaeology students that have started masters courses this year :smile:
Reply 89
I'm going into 4th year.. my sig is a little outdated oops! :redface:
Are you going into 3rd year this year then? I know a couple of archaeology students that have started masters courses this year :smile:

Yes bring on 3rd year! My modules rock. Finally.
Some of my best friends are physicists, hence my curiosity ^_^
Original post by Zenobia
Yes bring on 3rd year! My modules rock. Finally.
Some of my best friends are physicists, hence my curiosity ^_^

Hehe this all makes me feel incredibly old! I remember when I did the whole 'college children' thing at the beginning of second year, with some fresher Physicists, and now they're like you - entering 3rd year.. omg how did I get so ooooold?!
Reply 91
Hehe this all makes me feel incredibly old! I remember when I did the whole 'college children' thing at the beginning of second year, with some fresher Physicists, and now they're like you - entering 3rd year.. omg how did I get so ooooold?!

I had 1 child. 'Cause no one studies Ancient History & Archaeology ^^;
I feel old when I realise that today's new movie stars and such are actually younger than I am.

Edit: so that got off-topic. Does anyone know how I can get my written work to upload???
Reply 92
I'm applying for the taught MSc in Computer Science, haven't decided on a college yet though :smile: good luck to everyone!
Reply 93
Hi everyone,

I have a question about funding, hope that someone here knows the answer.
Some colleges offer college-specific scholarships for postgraduate students, and in order to be eligible for such a scholarship, ask of you that you mark this college as your first college choice. I was wondering if these colleges, when deciding on who'll get the scholarship, consider only those applicants who indicated that this college was their first choice, or also the other applicants that were pooled to this college?
Thanks in advance!
If it says that you need to put that college as first choice to be considered, I would imagine that they'd only consider those who put that college as first choice.
Oh and I've decided to apply to Balliol.. anyone else out there? :smile: It looks kind of awesome.
Edit: I really seem to be spamming this thread with my enthusiasm..
Original post by Zenobia
I had 1 child. 'Cause no one studies Ancient History & Archaeology ^^;
I feel old when I realise that today's new movie stars and such are actually younger than I am.

Edit: so that got off-topic. Does anyone know how I can get my written work to upload???

I think if you convert things to a PDF document online first it cuts down the file size quite a lot. But mine are Physics things so there are pictures but not abundantly so.

By the way, I know it says try and limit your writen work to 2000 words, but I have a rather large (i.e over 10000 word) something that is pretty relevant to my application. Can I just upload it and hope they at least skim read it? Or will they just get angry?
I think if you convert things to a PDF document online first it cuts down the file size quite a lot. But mine are Physics things so there are pictures but not abundantly so.

By the way, I know it says try and limit your writen work to 2000 words, but I have a rather large (i.e over 10000 word) something that is pretty relevant to my application. Can I just upload it and hope they at least skim read it? Or will they just get angry?

Could you post an extract and summarise how it fits into the piece as a whole, perhaps? 10,000+ is so much larger than what they request that, if I were you, I'd be a little loath to post it - they might think you hadn't read the instructions.

Mine was a bit over-length too, though, so I probably shouldn't be giving advice. :rolleyes: I think in the end, one of my bits was 2250 and the other was 2300. I pruned and pruned but just couldn't get them any shorter! :redface:
Reply 98

I tried. It went from 7.5 MB to 10.5 MB.
Still working on a solution x.x

My essays were both 3000 word summatives, so they exceeed the 2000 word limit, but I've been told it's not too bad (they're also over 3000 words because Archaeology has a 10% margin =P). I also had a 4000 summative (100 word margin in Classics x.x) that was more relevant to my application but decided that doubling the asked amount of words was pushing it too far.
Ah ok thanks for your input guys. I'm just struggling because it's Physics and last year I just wrote 2 large lab reports over the entire time, and only one is relevant to the phd subject. I guess I might just leave it out..

Quick Reply

Latest