The Student Room Group

Manchester university Pharmacy interview 2012 applicants

Hey guys I have a manchester interview coming up soon and I was wondering if anyone could tell me about theres and give any tips and questions that they were asked. Also how hard is the written assessment?

My interview is on the 23rd :smile: Cant waiiit :biggrin: Anyone else got the same date??

Scroll to see replies

I had the interview last year and the year before, both times they asked me to name 5 drugs and what they were used for. I can't remember what the written assignment was about exactly but it was something along the lines of give an example of when you've had to take up a position of responsibility and how you coped etc. Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Herbivore92
I had the interview last year and the year before, both times they asked me to name 5 drugs and what they were used for. I can't remember what the written assignment was about exactly but it was something along the lines of give an example of when you've had to take up a position of responsibility and how you coped etc. Hope this helped :smile:

Thanks your advice was definately helpful :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Smiile
Hey guys I have a manchester interview coming up soon and I was wondering if anyone could tell me about theres and give any tips and questions that they were asked. Also how hard is the written assessment?

My interview is on the 23rd :smile: Cant waiiit :biggrin: Anyone else got the same date??

I have mine then too! its going to be so horrible! :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by rosie12
I have mine then too! its going to be so horrible! :frown:

I'm sure it'll be fine just dont get too worked up and prepare :smile:
Got my interview then aswell, not looking forward to the written assessment! :/
Reply 6
I have mine on the same date and my friend had hers this week and she said the maths section was pretty difficult:frown:
Reply 7
Original post by aisha:)
I have mine on the same date and my friend had hers this week and she said the maths section was pretty difficult:frown:

Ahh well it says on the website we cant really revise for the test hopefully wont be too hard for people who are doing A2 maths (like me:smile:)...Do you know any of the questions she asked other than whats on the written assessment? Was she asked anything about particular drugs or about currents issues about drugs etc :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Smiile
Ahh well it says on the website we cant really revise for the test hopefully wont be too hard for people who are doing A2 maths (like me:smile:)...Do you know any of the questions she asked other than whats on the written assessment? Was she asked anything about particular drugs or about currents issues about drugs etc :smile:

not sure what questions they asked but i will find out and post them asap
the essay style question was on confidentiality
Reply 9
heyyy guys....!!!
Am a bit worried..you all already got interviews from Manchester.
Am applying to pharmacy and sent my app on the 9th of November!--it that late?
When did you all send off your application..+ what are your predicted grades like..?
(mine: AAAB)
Any feedback would be helpful guys..:o:(:o:(:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Mischo91
heyyy guys....!!!
When did you all send off your application..+ what are your predicted grades like..?

seriously...dont worry...3As..you will definitely get an interview at some point like 100% seriously..youll be fine
Reply 11
Original post by Mischo91
heyyy guys....!!!

i sent mine on the 4th of november and my predictions are AAB:smile:
dont worry you will get it soon.
Anyone with predicted grades BBB? Or do you know anyone with those grades that got an interview? I had predicted grades A*A*A when I applied last year but a friend has BBB and I know Manchester's requirements are AAB-ABB. On the site it says "Selection for interview is based on predicted grades of ABB"
Reply 13
hey guys, i'm actually dropping out of my course and applying for pharmacy with a foundation degree at manchester for 2012. Does anyone know if that involves an interview?
Original post by Gracey93

Original post by Gracey93
hey guys, i'm actually dropping out of my course and applying for pharmacy with a foundation degree at manchester for 2012. Does anyone know if that involves an interview?

Hey guys, am a third year Mpharm student at Manchester. Would like to mention a few points.

1- Manchester is epically overrated
2- Staff is nice and helpful, BUT, in my opinion, most of them are under qualified. Specially the practical tutors, but many of the lecturers. Dont get me wrong though, there are some amazing lecturers, but the vast majority is not good at all.
3-Strict passing policy to keep their 'overrated' status
4-Yes, manchester was at one point one of the first top rated university for pharmacy program 2 years ago. But its rating has dropped, and rightfully so. Nottigham, kings collage, london, brighton are all definitely better universities (for pharmacy).
5-It really DOESNT MATTER where you graduate from specially if you are an international student, so why pay 14,000 pounds a year when you can pay 8,000 a year in univ of Sunderland for example. So you need to be smarter when you choose your univ. It is the overall quality that you have to look into.
6- This is all I have to say of the top of my head. Anyone has any questions, i am more than happy to help.
Reply 15
Got an interview for 7th December. Im SO nervous.
Was there an ethical question?
Is there anything in groups, or all 1 to 1?
Any science based questions, like organic chemistry stuff?
I dont do maths at A-Level, got an A* at GCSE, but I've forgotton it ALL. What were the maths questions like???
Thank you!
Reply 16
Got an interview for 31st January -Liverpool John Moors.

Anyone got some tips, I would really appreciate any information on them :smile: Thanks!
Hey guys I'm applying for the Pharmacy Foundation course, and I really want to go to Manchester! Predicted grades aren't that great CDD :frown: - And the Foundation course only has 20 places, plus I still haven't sent off my UCAS :frown: - (I knowww I knowww).. Is that like really bad? And what are my chances of getting in? :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by CanMpharmer
Hey guys, am a third year Mpharm student at Manchester. Would like to mention a few points.

1- Manchester is epically overrated
2- Staff is nice and helpful, BUT, in my opinion, most of them are under qualified. Specially the practical tutors, but many of the lecturers. Dont get me wrong though, there are some amazing lecturers, but the vast majority is not good at all.
3-Strict passing policy to keep their 'overrated' status
4-Yes, manchester was at one point one of the first top rated university for pharmacy program 2 years ago. But its rating has dropped, and rightfully so. Nottigham, kings collage, london, brighton are all definitely better universities (for pharmacy).
5-It really DOESNT MATTER where you graduate from specially if you are an international student, so why pay 14,000 pounds a year when you can pay 8,000 a year in univ of Sunderland for example. So you need to be smarter when you choose your univ. It is the overall quality that you have to look into.
6- This is all I have to say of the top of my head. Anyone has any questions, i am more than happy to help.

Hello, I am an international student and have applied for the Mpharm. However, i would like to know if i would be able to work in the UK after graduating?
Original post by PinkPunk

Original post by PinkPunk
Hello, I am an international student and have applied for the Mpharm. However, i would like to know if i would be able to work in the UK after graduating?

hello pinkpunk, unfortunately and because of the recent changes by the UK Border Agency (UKBA), it is nearly impossible or very unlikely that international students would be able to work in the UK post graduation. This is because international students need a tier 2 visa to do the pre-reg year and work as pharmacist. However, employers will have to fill a Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) form which indicates that they couldn't find any qualified UK or EEA graduates. Very few employers would go for the trouble of filling the RLMT with a decreasing number of pre-reg post and pharmacist jobs out there, so I think you can see the picture.

However, having said all that, you maybe one of the lucky ones who might get sponsored by an employer for a pre-reg position, then again as a full licensed pharmacist if they like you and feel that you are more qualified then others. But the question is are you willing to do a 4 years degree to find out at the end of it all that you are that lucky guy? Or shouldn't your mind set be like coming to get the degree then go back and make a better earning in canada! It is totally up to you.

Here is the source for the change: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/2011/november/18-short-occup

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending