The Student Room Group

Is 16 too late..?

Is 16 too late to start learning piano?

I've been interested for few years now but I've just never got round to finding a piano teacher.

How easy would it be to skip grades too? Is it hard once you can read music and remember the keys?

How do the exams work? I've never really been musical but I enjoy classical music and I think I'd do reasonably well at learning it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jLou711

I've been interested for few years now but I've just never got round to finding a piano teacher.

How easy would it be to skip grades too? Is it hard once you can read music and remember the keys?

How do the exams work? I've never really been musical but I enjoy classical music and I think I'd do reasonably well at learning it.

Your never too late to do anything. If you believe in it the you can do it, Age is just a number :smile:
If you've never been musical and you cant already read music, it could take you a bit longer than you'd like, but of course you can do it and I'd highly recommend you do because thats something a lot of people I know regret not doing :smile:
Reply 3
'course it's not too late, it's never too late to learn an instrument :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by jLou711

It's definitely not too late :smile:. People learn it at different rates and some find it more difficult than others but even if you do find it difficult it's an enjoyable challenge and definitely possible. It depends on the board you do the exams for. I'm pretty sure all the internationally recognised ones require you to sing scales too (best to check that though) so be willing to learn that if you want to formally follow the grades. If you don't want to do that part then there's nothing stopping you learning in the same way but not officially getting the grades.
Reply 5
its not to late but I'm not sure why you think you will be able to skip grades if you can't play at all now
Reply 6
Learning piano does not have an age limit on it :tongue: Do it and have fun!
I'm reteaching myself bass guitar at 18, so you'll be fine, just as long as you actually bother to practise and put in effort.
Reply 8
I only started learning violin at 16 and it's been a good decision :smile:
You can learn faster if you already read and play music on a different instrument
Of course you can! It's not age that tends to be the problem however, its the motivation.

You may be motivated now, probably because you can see the end goal. But when you start realising how hard it is, that's when you'l find out if you really want to learn the piano.
Reply 10
Of course it's not too late, I teach piano and I have had loads of new starts over 16, right now in fact I have a two over the age of 40 :biggrin: You do need to put in the effort though, if you need any help feel free to PM me
i started learning at 16...was going to do grade 2 straight but then my teacher kinda lost contact....
so im teaching myself now, since i know the basics
its only a question of willpower i think
Nope, My granddad started playing when he was about 73 I think. As long as you have the `want` to play then you can learn
Original post by jLou711

It's not too late, but it won't be as easy to learn compared to someone who's had it instilled into them at a young age. However if you're talented and have the determination, you'll be fine. I've heard many people who've learnt at an older age, yet are pretty good at it.

And Grades are meant to progress your ability just at a harder level. It's also practise and you learn new stuff (like playing more complicated pieces). Your teacher would tell you if they thought you were ready.
I started learning an instrument about two months ago (I'm 18) :biggrin:
Reply 15
My brother taught himself how to play the piano when he was 22 and guitar when he was 23. So nope it's not too late for anything :smile:
i started teaching myself the piano like 2years ago for d of e so that was when i was 14, i did grade one and passed, its pretty easy to get used to quickly and it sounds good too! im now 16 and teaching myself grade 2 :smile:
Reply 17
I started learning piano at 17 without any previous instrument. It's really fun and good, I initially didn't like learning it with a tutor so now I know how to read music somewhat I just print sheets for some songs I really like and try to learn them. I'm not sure I'm going about it the right way but it's worth it :smile:
Original post by Axellia
You can learn faster if you already read and play music on a different instrument

I've found this too. I used to play recorder and then played clarinet. I found it much easier compared to someone who was having lessons with me, who hadn't played an instrument.
the day you stop learning is the day you die

Quick Reply