The Student Room Group

Is 20 to old to go to University?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Are you kidding, no way! 20 would be a good time to go into uni. i'm turning 20 soon and will be starting uni in September
mate, I know people who have started uni at 4o... you're never too old to learn :smile:
Original post by *Bubble*
No... But it's getting too old to spell it 'TO old'

I thought I was in an informal, relaxed forum.
I apologise for my error, I didn't realise I'd get spell checked for casually asking other students for advice.

Next time, I'll do 5 drafts before posting. :wink:
Original post by natalieann1993
I'm currently studying at the University College of Falmouth.
I love the Uni life, and my friends, but i just don't feel the University is right for me.
I messed around in my AS year, and managed to push my grades to 240, one being a C in English A level.

I applied to transfer, and got accepted to Nottingham Trent, but after visiting the Uni, i wasn't too keen and didn't want to risk going to another Uni that didn't feel 'right'. At the moment I'm sitting on 55% pass rate, and i know if i was settled more my essays could be better. Ive applied through UCAS extra to transfer to Plymouth for my course, i visit and go out with students in Plymouth once or twice a month, and have also used the library facilites to do my own studies.
Only issue is, I don't meet the entry requirements by 20 points, and needed a B in English, although the admissions tutor said they'd still consider me, I'm still concerned.

With only 240 points, I'm very limited to many English courses, so I'm considering perhaps returning to college next year to resit some exams and push my grades up and apply again. The problem though, I'll be 20 by the time I'll be entering Uni again. Im worried I'll be getting to old for Uni and I'll be surrounded by youngsters.

I know a lot about Plymouth, even my way round and people there, so i shouldn't have trouble settling, but I don't want to risk going elsewhere through clearing.

Do people still go Uni when there twenty?
or if i don't get into Plymouth is it worth holding on in Falmouth and just finishing my degree, although I'm not fully happy/motivated?

Just to let you know, there's a 60 something year old on my course.
Reply 24
Im gonna be 21 when I start this year. I think its the right age to start tbh.
Reply 25
I thought I was in an informal, relaxed forum.
I apologise for my error, I didn't realise I'd get spell checked for casually asking other students for advice.
Next time, I'll do 5 drafts before posting. :wink:

You are on an informal forum. I was glad to be able to correct someone, for once :wink:
Reply 26
yes, i went at 21, after dropping out of one course, then taking a year out (and after having a year out previously as well).
Original post by *Bubble*
You are on an informal forum. I was glad to be able to correct someone, for once :wink:

Welcome.
If i pay you £5 an hour, you can total spell check all my essays for me too. :tongue:
plymouth is a good uni and city so youll like it. 20 is nowhere near too old - perfect age
Reply 29
I love the Uni life, and my friends, but i just don't feel the University is right for me.
I messed around in my AS year, and managed to push my grades to 240, one being a C in English A level.

I applied to transfer, and got accepted to Nottingham Trent, but after visiting the Uni, i wasn't too keen and didn't want to risk going to another Uni that didn't feel 'right'. At the moment I'm sitting on 55% pass rate, and i know if i was settled more my essays could be better. Ive applied through UCAS extra to transfer to Plymouth for my course, i visit and go out with students in Plymouth once or twice a month, and have also used the library facilites to do my own studies.
Only issue is, I don't meet the entry requirements by 20 points, and needed a B in English, although the admissions tutor said they'd still consider me, I'm still concerned.

With only 240 points, I'm very limited to many English courses, so I'm considering perhaps returning to college next year to resit some exams and push my grades up and apply again. The problem though, I'll be 20 by the time I'll be entering Uni again. Im worried I'll be getting to old for Uni and I'll be surrounded by youngsters.

I know a lot about Plymouth, even my way round and people there, so i shouldn't have trouble settling, but I don't want to risk going elsewhere through clearing.

or if i don't get into Plymouth is it worth holding on in Falmouth and just finishing my degree, although I'm not fully happy/motivated?

It is very common for people to take gap years or resit their A-levels, so this already places them at 19+ One or two years really makes no difference at all. You aren't considered a mature student until 21, and financially independent until mid-20s.

The average age for starting university is over 20 so, no, 20 is certainly not "too old".
Original post by signwithme
plymouth is a good uni and city so youll like it. 20 is nowhere near too old - perfect age

Yeah, i've fell in love with city.
Its only an hour away from my Uni now, and i have a few friends there so i try to go up as much as i can. I just love it, the Uni, the city, the sea :smile:
Reply 31
Welcome.
If i pay you £5 an hour, you can total spell check all my essays for me too. :tongue:

haha If you want, but they may well end up all messed up :tongue:

On another note, I don't think 20 is to (<< check it out) old. I went to uni at 22 and I think that was a drop too old, but 20 I think is really ok. I think you won't feel out of it in any way... esp as many take a gap year
(edited 11 years ago)
No, course it's not. I live with someone who is 23 on his second year, and there's about 20 on my course who are over 25, some even about 45 with 2 kids!
Reply 33
Most people start university at 18-19, do you think being 20 ergo just one or a couple years older really makes a big difference? :lolwut:
One of my friends started studying engineering at 27, he's now 29 and super happy with his choice :h:
The majority of the people I know are between 18 and 25, however some people on my course are 40+
Definantly not.
Reply 36

I'm a first year and in my group of friends at Uni I'm the only one who is still 18, everyone else is 20+ with one being 36, and there's a guy on my course who is 59. Tons of people are 20 or older, don't let it put you off, plus no one cares about age. :smile:

The problem isn't your age; that's insignificant.

So you're first year at falmouth, yes? You applied through extra for entry into Plymouth in 2012? But you're worried they won't take you. If they don't, you'll still be at falmouth won't you? Or do you have to drop out to be able to apply through extra??

So you're considering resitting, which means you'll enter uni again in 2013, having had next year out to resit and reapply? Yet, you say you're averaging at 55 this year...

It seems like a massive risk, and I don't mean to be mean, but do you know you'll get a higher grade if you resit your a-level?
Bear in mind that even if you do, uni places have been cut down and there's more competition than ever (esp. for us un-economical arts students)
Bear in mind that fees have gone up.

I'd think about all this rather than whether you'll be too old (you won't). Your age is not a concern.
Reply 38
No. Best of luck OP :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest