The Student Room Group

Avon Representative?

Hello,
I've being unemployed for 8 months now, partly due to illness and now I'm looking for a job and not having any success. I've got a lot of spare time at the moment as I start my Open University degree in October. I was thinking about becoming an Avon representative in my area as something to do and a way to make a little money. I was just wondering if anyone else does it and what I can expect?
Reply 1
Original post by Simone.xox
Hello,
I've being unemployed for 8 months now, partly due to illness and now I'm looking for a job and not having any success. I've got a lot of spare time at the moment as I start my Open University degree in October. I was thinking about becoming an Avon representative in my area as something to do and a way to make a little money. I was just wondering if anyone else does it and what I can expect?

To be honest....with those things, you would have to spend money to make money and is based on how much effort you put into getting other people buying it. It's quite a bit of effort. Have you tried your local jobcentre?
Reply 2
Original post by Iqbal007
To be honest....with those things, you would have to spend money to make money and is based on how much effort you put into getting other people buying it. It's quite a bit of effort. Have you tried your local jobcentre?

How much money? Do you have to pay for the brochures? I've being on the website and it says that you get to free brochures and it's free to try.
Reply 3
Hello,

Hi I know two people who have tried this. Unless you have a large and constant customer base it isn't worth the time and money. Although your first batch of books and stuff is free...you have to make something like £70 worth of sales to get 20% comission. It can be a headache chasing people for the books and then processing your orders and then getting them out to everyone.The second set of books you have to pay for and if you want you can buy samples and stuff...so you do have to invest a little bit of money...not alot but some to get going.

However if you do get alot of customers and people who are interested in your area then it could be worthwile. The key is to get as many people as possible to spread the word and pass on booklets oh and be a confident sales person as generally first time customers only buy a small amount of things to test it...and the products aren't always what they seem as in colour swatches aren't true to the books.
Reply 4
How much money? Do you have to pay for the brochures? I've being on the website and it says that you get to free brochures and it's free to try.

It depends, from what I recall, you have to buy the products from them, then resell them on and make the profit............so your earnings all depend on how much you earn.
You can do it, it's just quite a bit of effort............then there's the issue of being a good presenter and trying to sell it on to other women.
Reply 5
It depends, from what I recall, you have to buy the products from them, then resell them on and make the profit............so your earnings all depend on how much you earn.
You can do it, it's just quite a bit of effort............then there's the issue of being a good presenter and trying to sell it on to other women.

You don't buy the products...the customers pay for the products and then you get a comission depending on the amount of money you generate...minimum £70 to start earning at 20%
:smile:

It doesn't work that way. You hand out the catalogues, people place orders, and only then do you buy the goods from Avon.
You don't buy them first and try to sell them door to door.
Reply 7
Original post by Safx
You don't buy the products...the customers pay for the products and then you get a comission depending on the amount of money you generate...minimum £70 to start earning at 20%
:smile:

Original post by Popppppy
It doesn't work that way. You hand out the catalogues, people place orders, and only then do you buy the goods from Avon.
You don't buy them first and try to sell them door to door.

My bad, I thought it was like those other firms, where you had to buy the products before hand :/

*I generally don't trust any firm where your salary is based on commission, seems like a pain in the rear :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
My bad, I thought it was like those other firms, where you had to buy the products before hand :/

*I generally don't trust any firm where your salary is based on commission, seems like a pain in the rear :redface:

Well it's not my sole income, I actually have 4 jobs, so I just do it for a bit of extra money. I've just started though, I have only handed out my catalogues, haven't placed my first order yet, so I'll see how it goes. :smile:
Reply 9
Well it's not my sole income, I actually have 4 jobs, so I just do it for a bit of extra money. I've just started though, I have only handed out my catalogues, haven't placed my first order yet, so I'll see how it goes. :smile:

4 jobs :s-smilie:.....hope it goes well and people put orders...........why don't you do those house gathering things ????
Reply 10
I did it for a while. I found it really difficult and I didn't enjoy it. You do have to pay some sort of sign up fee, can't remember what it is, but you pay it in a couple of installments. They give you your first few brochures for free (kind of depends how generous the team leader in your area is though) and then after that, you have to pay for them. I found it really time consuming and didn't enjoy lugging heavy bags of books around in the rain. Not to mention, most people don't leave them out for you (you normally have to deliver the same brochures to more than one area, so it's good to ask for them back even when they don't want to order anything), and if they do they just leave them on their front garden so they get covered in dirt and get soaking wet. Also, in my area at least, I found that hardly anyone wanted to order anything. Plus, sometimes some of the stuff can go out of stock, so that really put some people off. Doing returns are a pain as well. So, I was lucky if I broke even, and that doesn't really factor in the time and energy I put into it. Some people really enjoy it though and I suppose if you have a lot of friends or family in the area who are interested in the products, then it's easier to make money.
(edited 11 years ago)
4 jobs :s-smilie:.....hope it goes well and people put orders...........why don't you do those house gathering things ????

I'm kinda addicted to jobs haha. Thanks, I hope so too!
One of the girls at work suggested the gathering thing, I think I might do one, sounds fun!
Reply 12
Original post by Smoosh
I did it for a while. I found it really difficult and I didn't enjoy it. You do have to pay some sort of sign up fee, can't remember what it is, but you pay it in a couple of installments. They give you your first few brochures for free (kind of depends how generous the team leader in your area is though) and then after that, you have to pay for them. I found it really time consuming and didn't enjoy lugging heavy bags of books around in the rain. Not to mention, most people don't leave them out for you (you normally have to deliver the same brochures to more than one area, so it's good to ask for them back even when they don't want to order anything), and if they do they just leave them on their front garden so they get covered in dirt and get soaking wet. Also, in my area at least, I found that hardly anyone wanted to order anything. Plus, sometimes some of the stuff can go out of stock, so that really put some people off. Doing returns are a pain as well. So, I was lucky if I broke even, and that doesn't really factor in the time and energy I put into it. Some people really enjoy it though and I suppose if you have a lot of friends or family in the area who are interested in the products, then it's easier to make money.

Well, that's the problem with already not working and I don't have a huge group of friends it means that I don't have a lot of people I can really sell to. I also assumed that the brochures were free. Do you have any idea how much the brochures cost?

One of the girls at work suggested the gathering thing, I think I might do one, sounds fun!

Fours jobs! What do you do it you don't mind me asking?

Fours jobs! What do you do it you don't mind me asking?

Well I've just started doing Avon, I also work at Subway, I'm also an Ambassador for my uni (doing open days and tours) and I'm also going to be working at the Olympics with the company providing all the transport, but that's only for 1 month.
Reply 14
Well I've just started doing Avon, I also work at Subway, I'm also an Ambassador for my uni (doing open days and tours) and I'm also going to be working at the Olympics with the company providing all the transport, but that's only for 1 month.

Wow, you're like Superwoman!
Reply 15
I did it for a while and quickly grew to hate it after the novelty wore off. You have to buy the books and bags for the products yourself. It's about £4.50 for 20 books for something, but then you put them out and then people just don't bother leaving them out, so you quickly lose most of the books you've just paid for, and then can't use them to put out anywhere else. You have to make £78 worth of orders before you even get a penny. A lot of the time you're basically working for Avon, for free.

Don't miss it at all.
hia, i've literally just stopped doing avon after 6 months, to be honest its a ballache and wish i'd not bothered.
I spent hours trudging up and down the streets with my 10 year old son helping (a fiver an outing in wages to him!),
off a 200 pound order i only ended up with 40, and there had been a fair few hours put in each time.
People were rude about books being put through their door, my son got shouted at by some grumpy git (if he had a problem it was with me not my son).
Personally I'd say not to bother unless you have friends/family/existing work collegues to sell to as door to door is not worth it.
Reply 17

looool good luck :smile:
Reply 18
My friends been doing it for a few months and I've been with her a couple of times, she likes doing it although I know she kinda of wants another Job now as with Avon it's not a steady income, some weeks she gets barely nothing and others she gets quite a lot. And although I don't do it, I think a good part of it is you can kinda choose what time and when you drop off books so it can sort of fit around your life...but then a bad side of it is that it's not a steady income, can be quite a lot of effort if people don't put books out or aren't in and people aren't going to want to order from Avon every week.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 19
I am an Avon Sales Leaders in Manchester

If anyone wants to know more about becoming an Avon Representative, please inbox me with contact details.

I will make arrangements to meet with you and discuss the opportunities in more detail.

The replies on this forum are not strictly accurate and there is a lot of false information flying around. Being an Avon Representative is NOT a quick money making fix - it takes time and hard work to build a loyal customer base. Once the initial leg work is done, you can reap the benefits.

Anyone interested, please contact me.

Regards Karen:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest