The Student Room Group

Nutford House

Hey, any first hand experience of Nutford House? Is anybody else going?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was there last year, and will be again this year (reapp). The main advantage of intercollegiate halls is that you get to meet people from different unis and that you don't have to cook for yourself. I'm not sure how Nutford House compares to other intercollegiate halls - I chose it because it's the closest one to Imperial.

Do you have any specific questions about it?
Reply 2
Cool, did you enjoy it?

The usual:
- How is the food?
- How many people share a bathroom?
- How many people share a kitchen?
- Which colleges do most people attend? I think there are many from Imperial, but what about KCL?/ Do most people walk to KCL?
- Room size?
- Social life in general?
- Laundry?
- Going out/ getting home at night (as a girl)?

Cheers. :smile:
Reply 3
Jammertal
- Which colleges do most people attend? I think there are many from Imperial, but what about KCL?/ Do most people walk to KCL?

Dunno about your superwalking skills, but Nutford looks a bit far on the map from KCL's campuses. You might not want to be walking that distance at night.:confused:
Reply 4
I'm coming back for a second year, so yes, I did enjoy it :wink:.

- The food is acceptable, but the menu is a little boring (repeats every two weeks or so). Fish & chips every Friday. I think the food quality is the same across all intercollegiate halls, but I'm not sure.
- About ten people to a bathroom. This varies though depending on whether you're in the main building or the annexe.
- About half the students are from Imperial (Nutford House is really the only intercollegiate hall which is close enough to Imperial to walk). For the other half: most of them are from KCL and UCL. I'm not sure how most people get to KCL though - I suspect quite a few of them take the bus.
- I'm not sure what to say about room size. The rooms are very small compared to those in Imperial halls, but I'm not sure how they compare to rooms in other intercollegiate halls.
- Social life in general: if you want to get involved there are several events organised throughout the year. Also since it is catered accommodation you can talk to a lot of people at mealtimes. Finally there is a TV room and a JCR (Junior Common Room) where most people hang out.
- Laundry: there are two washing machines and two dryers in the basement of the main house, and the same in the basement of the annexe. Last year the cost of one load of laundry was £1.60.
- Edgware Rd never sleeps - there are people around all night, so I'd say the area is one of the safer areas in London. But I still wouldn't recommend coming home alone late at night.
Reply 5
Sijia
Dunno about your superwalking skills, but Nutford looks a bit far on the map from KCL's campuses. You might not want to be walking that distance at night.:confused:

Hmm, that's why I asked: did that when I came there for the interview, but every day...
Reply 6
DanielJ
I'm coming back for a second year, so yes, I did enjoy it :wink:.

- The food is acceptable, but the menu is a little boring (repeats every two weeks or so). Fish & chips every Friday. I think the food quality is the same across all intercollegiate halls, but I'm not sure.
- About ten people to a bathroom. This varies though depending on whether you're in the main building or the annexe.
- About half the students are from Imperial (Nutford House is really the only intercollegiate hall which is close enough to Imperial to walk). For the other half: most of them are from KCL and UCL. I'm not sure how most people get to KCL though - I suspect quite a few of them take the bus.
- I'm not sure what to say about room size. The rooms are very small compared to those in Imperial halls, but I'm not sure how they compare to rooms in other intercollegiate halls.
- Social life in general: if you want to get involved there are several events organised throughout the year. Also since it is catered accommodation you can talk to a lot of people at mealtimes. Finally there is a TV room and a JCR (Junior Common Room) where most people hang out.
- Laundry: there are two washing machines and two dryers in the basement of the main house, and the same in the basement of the annexe. Last year the cost of one load of laundry was £1.60.
- Edgware Rd never sleeps - there are people around all night, so I'd say the area is one of the safer areas in London. But I still wouldn't recommend coming home alone late at night.

Thanks, very helpful, pos rep coming your way. :smile: It doesn't change my decision to get private accomodation though.
Reply 7
Jammertal why did you have private accomm in mind so bad?? Lol you said you knew that u'd probably take it up anyway...Where you gonna look for private accom?
Reply 8
Mainly because I hate the thought of sharing a bathroom with 10 people I think.
Reply 9
Hmm...well since there's so many we should just try to get a unite housing flat near Kings for all of us..There is like 5/6 right?
Reply 10
Hehe, well, for 5 people you'll need either a very expensive flat or a house which is far away from the uni. That's why I prefer to do a smaller flatshare with people I've met in the rel life.
Reply 11
Yeah thats true i guess...where are you gonna look for housing??
Reply 12
Everywhere: London uni housing service to start.
Reply 13
Loool k..well i know this is wierd...but keep me in mind..if u need partners..im a good boy really..(ignore the nik :P)
Reply 14
Sijia

Its at this point i immediately regret choosing accom by eeny meeny miney mo :frown:
Reply 15
voronwe
Its at this point i immediately regret choosing accom by eeny meeny miney mo :frown:

I didn't put too much thought into mine either other than a few simple requisites: distance, catered, price.:redface:
Reply 16
voronwe

Another King's student who got placed in Nutford House?
Just looking at it, it looks like ages to UCL, so i feel bad for you guys at kings.
Im quite looking forward to nutford, it looked nice enough but not looking forward to the half an hour walk to ucl everyday, or the temptation of having selfridges so close. Its going to be a hard life living next to oxford street (I CANT WAIT)

And i dont think nutford has a gym so I wont feel bad that everyone else is at the gym cos i cant be arsed to excerise
Reply 18
A gym and a swimming pool?? are nearby I think. :smile:
Reply 19
naughty_uk2
Just looking at it, it looks like ages to UCL, so i feel bad for you guys at kings.
Im quite looking forward to nutford, it looked nice enough but not looking forward to the half an hour walk to ucl everyday, or the temptation of having selfridges so close. Its going to be a hard life living next to oxford street (I CANT WAIT)

And i dont think nutford has a gym so I wont feel bad that everyone else is at the gym cos i cant be arsed to excerise

I think the walking to and from campus will be exercise enough!:p:

Quick Reply

Latest