The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

then customer service shouldnt be an issue. anyway also asrock do usually give better value for money. tbh customer service has never ever helped me. posting in forums so much less hassle and faster.
Reply 1321
sufiankane
then customer service shouldnt be an issue. anyway also asrock do usually give better value for money. tbh customer service has never ever helped me. posting in forums so much less hassle and faster.

When you need to RMA a dead motherboard customer service is everything...

Not saying Asrock is crap, but I wouldnt usually use Asrock boards if I was building a PC for someone else.
If you RMA though you can RMA whoever you bought your motherboard from aka an online company and then they deal with all the headache instead of you.
Reply 1323
sufiankane
If you RMA though you can RMA whoever you bought your motherboard from aka an online company and then they deal with all the headache instead of you.

Not after a certain period. If its DOA, then yeah you return to the retailer, but after say 1 year it has to be straight to the manufacturer.
but most parts come with a 1 year warranty anyway with the exception of ram.
sufiankane
but most parts come with a 1 year warranty anyway with the exception of ram.

Really?

In my experience,

RAM - lifetime
Hard Drives - 3-5yrs
Intel processors - 3 yrs , not sure about AMD
gfx cards - depends on supplier from 1 yr to lifetime warranties from BFG/EVGA etc.
Motherboards - 1 yr+
hmm yer you are right. ram is 3 year to lifetime, HD i have no idea, my CPU is 1 year but i thijnk that is because they are OEM and gfx card for me is 1 year. y parts have never EVER failed on me so i have no need for warranties
Reply 1327
ghost101
Really?

In my experience,

RAM - lifetime
Hard Drives - 3-5yrs
Intel processors - 3 yrs , not sure about AMD
gfx cards - depends on supplier from 1 yr to lifetime warranties from BFG/EVGA etc.
Motherboards - 1 yr+

AMD CPUs, retail = 3 years, OEM = 1 year.

Asus motherboards = 3 years

Biostar = 2 years

etc.
Hey, im in the process of gettin a new pc and was looking at the new intel dualcore processors but ive found the amd athlon 64 dualcore processor to be a lot cheaper so i could get a higher speed for cheaper but is that because they're not as good as intel? thanks
nah you are mistaken. The 125 pound intel (e6300) performs very close to the amd 4600+ which is above 200 pounds. The intels also run cooler and are more powerful.
Reply 1330
Would 64bit chips run faster?

I'm thinking of getting the AMD Turion X2, and it runs about 2.0GHz. And it should faster than the Duo Core 2 chip that runs about 2.2GHz?

Or is 64bit a waste of money?
Reply 1331
Nalced
Would 64bit chips run faster?

I'm thinking of getting the AMD Turion X2, and it runs about 2.0GHz. And it should faster than the Duo Core 2 chip that runs about 2.2GHz?

Or is 64bit a waste of money?

The Core 2 Duo will be quicker overall in normal 32bit Windows, I'm not sure about 64bit environments but the chances are you wont be using a 64bit operating system anyway.
trust me the Core duo will kill the turion. Ghz dont mean very much tbh. Look at benchmark scores and you will see core duo killing turion. Also the problem is that windows 64bit is very buggy and very few applications work on it. isnt the core duo 64 bit as well???
Reply 1333
My point is we don't have a 64-bit OS comparison (none I've seen anyway) so it isn't quite 100% true that Core 2 Duo is always faster than AMD64... but 95% of the time yes.
Turion x2s are able to compete with core 2 duos, but the problem is that they ahvent seen the price cuts AMDs desktop processors have had. So core 2 duo(merom) is always better value for money for laptops.

As for 64bit OSs, the 64bit version of Vista is a huge improvement from what ive read. However, the migration to 64bit processors wont happen for a while due to so many processors out there that dont have amd64 or em64t, including processors as recent as the yonah core.
Reply 1335
sr4470
You can still use mATX motherboards in regular size cases.

There arent any decent cases on Scan (in my opinion). Personally I'd recommend the Akasa Zen from Eclipse Computers.

You'll need a power supply as well: http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=PSA-PP400B

does eclipse have a good customer service, delivery times etc???
Reply 1336
Logan
does eclipse have a good customer service, delivery times etc???

No problems as far as I know.
Reply 1337
I'd go with the HP.
the hp one is pretty big, so if you're on the move a lot, i wouldnt choose that one.
Reply 1339
Windows XP x64 is quite sufficient. Unecessary for nearly every user, but perfectly stable (more so than XP Pro aamof, because it's based on Server 2003 code) and with minimal compatbility issues (though I can't run my newly purchased X-Wing on it :frown: ).

Latest