The Student Room Group

My cat has broke her leg!!!! Cost to fix!!!

I think my cat has broke her leg. My mum slammed the door on her leg last night and now she is limping. Although she doesn't seem to be in any pain, infact she's quite painful but she is limping. So assuming it is broke, how much do you think it will cost to fix. A rough estimate.

The funny thing is, i have insurance, but in order to claim you need the pet to have been vaccinated and had a checkup with in the past 12 months. My cat doesn't have that, so i can't claim.

EDI: this is an old thread. Cat is fine!
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why buy insurance if you're not going to comply with the effective terms & conditions...?

Anyway, I don't know how much it'll be, I doubt it will be cheap. But she's your pet, and I don't know about you, but I'd sell my house for my cats.
If she's only limping it could well be a bad bruise or very slight fracture - you could almost certainly tell if the leg was broken.
Reply 3
Original post by Ice_Queen
Why buy insurance if you're not going to comply with the effective terms & conditions...?

Anyway, I don't know how much it'll be, I doubt it will be cheap. But she's your pet, and I don't know about you, but I'd sell my house for my cats.

Because I was supposed to get her checked up in two when i had the money to do it. Anyway ill just have to somehow get the money!!!
A small fortune.
It cost >£2000 once to fix my kittens eye. The insurance kicked in that very day, don't know what I would have done otherwise :eek:!
Reply 5
Original post by U.S Lecce
I think my cat has broke her leg. My mum slammed the door on her leg last night and now she is limping. Although she doesn't seem to be in any pain, infact she's quite painful but she is limping. So assuming it is broke, how much do you think it will cost to fix. A rough estimate.

The funny thing is, i have insurance, but in order to claim you need the pet to have been vaccinated and had a checkup with in the past 12 months. My cat doesn't have that, so i can't claim.

You want to get it checked out. Tell them to put the cost on the slate. They might let you pay it off £5 a week.
Reply 6
She's ok, just a bit of bruising. And she's been vaccinated for this year also. Cost me £200 though! Damn these out of hours vets!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
She's ok, just a bit of bruising. And she's been vaccinated for this year also. Cost me £200 though! Damn these out of hours vets!

Wow! Expensive!!!
:eek:
Reply 8
Original post by p3bbl3z
Wow! Expensive!!!
:eek:

Not really, compared to what OP would have had to pay had the leg been broken.

Moral of the story - either keep up with the conditions of the insurance, or be prepared to pay if something happens.
Not really, compared to what OP would have had to pay had the leg been broken.

Indeed, from what i've seen at my Vet Practice broken legs can escalate way above £6000, if you have to be referred which would likely be the case. £200 for a Vac is expensive yeh, would normally cost around £20-30. But atleast you can hopefully keep the big expensive stuff out the way by complying withy our insurance :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
My old cat got her leg broken and needed pins - it was £600 :-o We never took out insurance....woops!
You got lucky, my cat just cut his leg and it was 270 just for some stitches
Original post by grovichik
My old cat got her leg broken and needed pins - it was £600 :-o We never took out insurance....woops!

How old was she when she had it done?

Say insurance costs £6/month. If she's 10, that's £720.

I'd rather put it in a bank account and at least get a little interest on it, as well as not having to go through a load of hassle if you want to claim.
Reply 13

you should have had it vaccinated... duh? but yeah, still if i were you i'd still pay for it to be checked up... I have dogs, 3 in fact, and I love them as much as my family... that's a bit weird but still. so yeah, GO TO A VET!!!!!
Reply 14

:eek: You would be homeless just so that you can help your cat. Now, that's dedication.
take a leaf out of the tv programme friends' book - invite someone round and push them into your cat and say "What did you do that to my cat for! You broke its leg!" and make them pay.

although it was with a fridge as I recall...
Reply 16
How old was she when she had it done?

Say insurance costs £6/month. If she's 10, that's £720.

I'd rather put it in a bank account and at least get a little interest on it, as well as not having to go through a load of hassle if you want to claim.

Actually yep, you're right. She was 8 at the time so probably wouldn't have been much difference either way :-)
Original post by SAK.A
:eek: You would be homeless just so that you can help your cat. Now, that's dedication.

I'm sure one of my friends or family would let me crash at theirs until I could get some money together to rent a place.

But yes, my cats mean everything to me. If it was a choice between saving my cat from drowning and saving my boyfriend from drowning I would actually have to think about it.
Reply 18
Btw it didn't cost £200 for her to get vaccinated, that only cost like £25. It cost £200 overall to take her to an out of hours vet on saturday and for the x-ray and the jag.
Because I was supposed to get her checked up in two when i had the money to do it. Anyway ill just have to somehow get the money!!!

If you can't afford vet fees, you shouldn't have a pet.

Latest

Trending

Trending