The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Damn... wrote 16 instead of 8 for the first question :frown:. Any ideas how many marks i'll get???
Reply 41
Hi, Can you tell me question 4 on the paper please :smile: Thanks
Reply 42
Original post by Mr M
There are several ways to do 8.

I found the equation of the line passing through (3,5) with gradient -2 was y = -2x + 11. Any point that is 6 sqrt 5 away from (3, 5) lies on the circle centre (3,5) radius 6 sqrt 5 so I wrote down the equation of this circle and solved a pair of simultaneous equations to find where the line meets this circle.

Lol it was that simple :redface:
Original post by zuhairp
Damn... wrote 16 instead of 8 for the first question :frown:. Any ideas how many marks i'll get???

Probably 3 if you just made one arithmetic error.
Original post by CSIfan
Hi, Can you tell me question 4 on the paper please :smile: Thanks

Evaluate

3−23^{-2}

163416^{\frac{3}{4}}

2008\frac{\sqrt{200}}{\sqrt{8}}
Original post by Aadil
Lol that was clever ... I got the equation of the line atleast... So thats what.1 mark maybe 2... Thanks Mr m looks like I did well ... One.last thing.. the question 7iii where you explain why it is greater than x >-2 I didn't say no roots but explained it well enough to get the marks ... CAn I still get 2 without saying no real roots

I think they are expecting people to say the graph only crosses the x axis once at x = -2 but you had enough information from the previous parts to sketch the graph if you wished.
Reply 46
Thanks for the markscheme Mr M, for 5 i did the right method (let y2 = x) but did a arithmetic error which led me to get no solutions :s and for 8 I did a simultaneous equation but again made a stupid mental maths error, so got an unfactorisable quadratic - how many marks do you think i will lose altogether??
Original post by 1234girl
Thanks for the markscheme Mr M, for 5 i did the right method (let y2 = x) but did a arithmetic error which led me to get no solutions :s and for 8 I did a simultaneous equation but again made a stupid mental maths error, so got an unfactorisable quadratic - how many marks do you think i will lose altogether??

It depends very much on what you did that was right. You would certainly have attained one mark for the substitution.
Reply 48
Just as a general question ... What is the pass mark on average for an A over the last few years... Ill doubt it will move massively this year. So yeh the pass mark for an A over the last few.years?.. MR M u are doing c2? I hope on Tuesday and c3 on Friday
Original post by Mr M
It depends very much on what you did that was right. You would certainly have attained one mark for the substitution.

When we had to sketch the graph I put the y intercept as either just 12, (0,12) or maybe (12,0), for the first woul o get a Mark? And am assuming for the last I wouldn't get anything?
Also is it possible that 71/72 is 100 ums thank you!
Reply 50
Original post by Mr M
Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 answers January 2012

Thanks for your answers Mr M. For Q9. ii) Would I lose both marks if I put x<−4,x>3x<-4, x>3? Also, is it me or is the 2nd solution to iii) (4, -7)?
Original post by Ivo
Thanks for your answers Mr M. For Q9. ii) Would I lose both marks if I put x<−4,x>3x<-4, x>3? Also, is it me or is the 2nd solution to iii) (4, -7)?

Yes lose both marks I think and the 2nd solution to iii) is correct - I just checked on my computer.
Original post by tooambitious
When we had to sketch the graph I put the y intercept as either just 12, (0,12) or maybe (12,0), for the first woul o get a Mark? And am assuming for the last I wouldn't get anything?
Also is it possible that 71/72 is 100 ums thank you!

(12,0) is wrong. 12 might be ok but it did ask you to write coordinates.

71/72 will probably be 100 UMS.
Original post by Aadil
Just as a general question ... What is the pass mark on average for an A over the last few years... Ill doubt it will move massively this year. So yeh the pass mark for an A over the last few.years?.. MR M u are doing c2? I hope on Tuesday and c3 on Friday

You will have to look up the previous boundaries as I am too lazy. I will do Core 2 on Tuesday but I won't be in school on Friday so won't see the Core 3 paper until the following Monday.
what was the question for 9iii?
Reply 55
Hey, what was question 8 again? Thanks
Original post by Mr M
(12,0) is wrong. 12 might be ok but it did ask you to write coordinates.

71/72 will probably be 100 UMS.

oh thank you so much!, i really hope it is :biggrin:
Reply 57
Mei C1 answers please???? think i got 65-68/72not sure tho wanna check!
Original post by Mikey6743
Hey, what was question 8 again? Thanks

Read a few posts back.
Original post by Coolcat
Mei C1 answers please???? think i got 65-68/72not sure tho wanna check!

I don't have the MEI paper - sorry!