The Student Room Group

Southampton or Leeds

I got an offer for MSc Wireless Communications from Southampton and MSc Communications Engineering from Leeds. But I can't decide which one to choose.
Southampton has a better overall ranking than Leeds but Leeds tops the RAE rating list for Electronics and Electrical Engineering.
I would like to know which university has a better prospect in terms of job and further research after completion of MSc. ?

I have also applied to Imperial College, Bristol, Surrey, Manchester, Sheffield, Edinburgh and Glasgow. The decisions are still pending.

Please tell me which of these universities will be the best bet for an MSc. in the field of Electronics and Communication .
Reply 1
Imperial based on the rep? But I really have no idea on its engineering dept. as I am looking at business postgrads, of which Imperial is among the best in the world.

The course at Leeds sounds more general in comparison to soton who specify it with wireless, so I supose it depends on what you are looking to get into?

Both are great universities so I don't think the rep comes into play that much. Even with Imperial vs. the rest it shouldn't matter a great deal. Its not like you are comparing Oxbridge and the lowest ranked uni in the world here.

Maybe base the choice more on the course content, assessment, student life, cost of living, cost getting there, fees etc.

You might what to check out the graduate destinations and percentages as well. For me this would be a big factor in a postgrad given the price, much greater than the actual rep of the institution which really counts for nothing if the 'lower' ranked uni is sending more students into better/more jobs
Personally after visiting Southampton University i couldnt really study there, it had IMO a dead atmosphere and very boring, also dont worry about "Ranking" most employers would see both Universities as decent

if you got all your offers my personal choice would be:
1. Imperial
2. Edinbrough
3. Bristol

i also believe Surrey have a good reputation for Engineering, but seriously dont make a decision on anything i or anyone else here says. think about the difference in the course and how its taught at each uni, look at student satisfaction (very important IMO) write down what you expect and give each uni a score depending on your expectations.

Good Luck!
Reply 3
Guys, I am an international student from India and really don't have a whole lot of idea about UK universities.

Below is the list of detailed courses that I have applied for

Southampton-Wireless communications (confirmed)
Leeds- Communications Engineering (confirmed)
Bristol- Communications network and Signal Processing
Wireless Communications and Signal Processing
Surrey- Mobile Communications System
Imperial- Communication and Signal Processing
Glasgow- Telecommunication Electronics
Manchester- Communication Engineering
Sheffield- Data Communications
Wireless Communications
Edinburgh- Signal Processing and Communications

Please let me know which one amongst these will be the best choice in terms of job prospects. Further research scope will also be an important criteria for me. Apart from these is there any other university where I should apply for an MSc. related to the field of Communications?
Reply 4
Original post by sampi
Guys, I am an international student from India and really don't have a whole lot of idea about UK universities.

Below is the list of detailed courses that I have applied for

Southampton-Wireless communications (confirmed)
Leeds- Communications Engineering (confirmed)
Bristol- Communications network and Signal Processing
Wireless Communications and Signal Processing
Surrey- Mobile Communications System
Imperial- Communication and Signal Processing
Glasgow- Telecommunication Electronics
Manchester- Communication Engineering
Sheffield- Data Communications
Wireless Communications
Edinburgh- Signal Processing and Communications

Please let me know which one amongst these will be the best choice in terms of job prospects. Further research scope will also be an important criteria for me. Apart from these is there any other university where I should apply for an MSc. related to the field of Communications?

Imperial is has the higher reputation overall, then Edinburgh and Bristol. But as said, Leeds, Southampton and all the rest of them are great. If you go on the course webpage for each university there should be a section for student destinations or something similar and thats where you will see the employment prospects. If they aren't there then email the uni and ask for the figures.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending