The Student Room Group

The Jubilee, The Brainwashing, The Monarchy - Time to Wake up

Scroll to see replies

Original post by monk_keys
Quite an accomplishment to recognise how slow I am in somebody else's post. If you were as sharp a tac as you believe you would have noticed that I didn't post the original comment, rather I thought your hyperbole was so dim I felt compelled to comment.

I took the the original poster's comment to be some quite good (if rather flippant) advice.

Don't take it as a command to leave from them (they're not the Queen after all), but rather a more realistic route to living in a republic.

Again more useless information and non-sequiturs "you would have noticed that I didn't post the original comment" what does that have to do with anything, how does that refute what I've said? You might as well have it's cloudy today or it's a saturday, it doesn't add anything.

You still don't get it. Most people in Britain campaigning for a republic want one here, they aren't campaigning to live in A republic, that isn't their aim. If they wanted to, as you've said, they could quite easily, that isn't what they want though. It's like saying to those opposed to tuititon fees HERE "Well, Poland doesn't charge any fees, you can go there." Can you really not see the distinction? lol.
LEAVE THE QUEEN ALONE :fatcontroller:
Original post by jblackmoustache
It's not Britain's moment. It's a celebration for the Queen and the Royal Family. It has nothing special for me. We're just the lowly consumers.

Really? I think it's very much Britain's moment, as the Queen is the figurehead of the country, and many people love and respect her, and want to show their appreciation.

Original post by bax121
Why should we have to move country because we don't support them?

Does being born here not give us the same right to live here as them? Guess not. Must we bow to them or face excile.

The royal family is a disgusting outdated institution.

And the hypocrasy by so many who don't like rich people who have worked for their wealth to give their kids easy lives, yet support the royal family, who are glorified benefit cheats, is laughable.

"disgusting outdated institution"?? :s-smilie: I beg to differ. I think it's utterly fantastic that we still have a monarchy in this day and age, and above all it's great that they have so much support - contrary to the views on this forum, which represents a very small portion of the UK.

It baffles me that some people continue to snipe and complain and create misery at the time of such a joyous celebration. Even if you don't agree with it, there's no reason to ruin other people's fun. :s-smilie:
Original post by 122025278
Again more useless information and non-sequiturs "you would have noticed that I didn't post the original comment" what does that have to do with anything, how does that refute what I've said? You might as well have it's cloudy today or it's a saturday, it doesn't add anything.

You still don't get it. Most people in Britain campaigning for a republic want one here, they aren't campaigning to live in A republic, that isn't their aim. If they wanted to, as you've said, they could quite easily, that isn't what they want though. It's like saying to those opposed to tuititon fees HERE "Well, Poland doesn't charge any fees, you can go there." Can you really not see the distinction? lol.

Well firstly it's relevant because you derided me for a comment I didn't make, slightly unfair.

Secondly, I don't think the solution was really intended to be a favourable one for you, just a throw away comment. Why was this? Simple. We don't need to find you a solution, that's your problem. The majority want a monarchy.

:dance:
You realise that it's not absolute monarchy and the Queen has practically no powers...
Reply 45
The monarchy works, it costs us very little and causes no problems. Most people support it. Why change what work?

If we got rid of the monarchy we would need a president, it would cost people millions to run for president and have a realistic chance. This is not much worse than a monarch in terms of social inequality.
Original post by james22
The monarchy works, it costs us very little and causes no problems. Most people support it. Why change what work?

If we got rid of the monarchy we would need a president, it would cost people millions to run for president and have a realistic chance. This is not much worse than a monarch in terms of social inequality.

Well said. =)
Well firstly it's relevant because you derided me for a comment I didn't make, slightly unfair.

Secondly, I don't think the solution was really intended to be a favourable one for you, just a throw away comment. Why was this? Simple. We don't need to find you a solution, that's your problem. The majority want a monarchy.

:dance:

You concurred with what was said though?

Find me a solution? Again, where have I said I am in favour of a republic? lol. No one is asking for a solution to be found, the way I look at it, it's a democratic political campaign, their ultimate goal is a referrendum to get rid of the monarchy isn't it?

"We don't need to find you a solution, that's your problem. The majority want a monarchy."

So if someone is opposed to a particular political policy, what would your advice be exactly? Politics is totally redundant in your thinking surely. If people don't like something they should shut up and worse, get out!
Well the Jubilee's happening, and there's nothing you can do about it so you can shut the f*ck up and enjoy it :smile: And may Her Majesty the Queen long reign over us. :biggrin:
It doesn't bother me that people like the royal family and the queen, but the one thing that really makes grinds my gears is the fact that people hold this view that the Royal Family deserve unconditional respect, that their mere existence is enough to warrant celebration. People view them as gods and if you dare bad mouth the Royal Family it's treason, and you deserve to be deported or even executed. Doesn't sound too dissimilar to a dictatorship really. I like living in Britain and I'd much rather live here than a lot of other places on Earth because here I have rights such as the right to freedom of speech, which is why the unrelenting propaganda and censorship of anything that dares to criticise our dictatorqueen makes me sick.
Original post by 122025278
You concurred with what was said though?

Find me a solution? Again, where have I said I am in favour of a republic? lol. No one is asking for a solution to be found, the way I look at it, it's a democratic political campaign, their ultimate goal is a referrendum to get rid of the monarchy isn't it?

"We don't need to find you a solution, that's your problem. The majority want a monarchy."

So if someone is opposed to a particular political policy, what would your advice be exactly? Politics is totally redundant in your thinking surely. If people don't like something they should shut up and worse, get out!

I have no problem with political campaigns of any sort, my problem was with your implication that if we were ever to become a republic then we would look back on this era as akin to Nazism in Germany or Apartheid in SA.

Surely you could have found better parallels for your example?
[video="youtube;dtUH2YSFlVU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtUH2YSFlVU[/video] hehe
I don't see the problem with having a monarchy. It brings a lot to the tourism industry. Asians dig the Queen.
God you people need to just chill, its a nice day man and all you can do is argue about the monarch (facepalm)
I don't really care for the monarchy, but then I dont oppose them either... guess I'm just on the fence really. The most royalist I've ever got is a bit of quiet admiration for the monarchy and it's history in this country every now and again, other than that I dont give a damn.
That was quite funny! Some guy :rolleyes:

"Palace is the biggest social housing in the country"!!!! :rofl:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
yawn
My mum try to talk me into going to the boat party and celebrate the Diamond Jubilee, I suspect there would be 90% of old people, there would be no young people there at all.
I have no problem with political campaigns of any sort, my problem was with your implication that if we were ever to become a republic then we would look back on this era as akin to Nazism in Germany or Apartheid in SA.

Surely you could have found better parallels for your example?

I explicitly gave explained the implication for you previously, LOOK

"You basically said, if you don't like it, get out.

Not liking a political policy in your country and wanting to reform it implies => You should "get out""

I'm saying that a policy of don't like it, then get out, could be used to justify anything. It had nothing to do with the monarchy lol. What don't you get about that? And please please explain how I implied that if we ever become a republic we will look back on this era as akin to Nazism, I'm genuinely interested. Q the excuses of why you won't!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by RabbitCFH
You realise that it's not absolute monarchy and the Queen has practically no powers...

No, actually, I didn't. Indeed, most republicans I know have almost complete ignorance of politics and constitutional law; tending to blindly read the prole-feed in the tabloid before forming a half-baked hand-me-down opinion on constitution structured.

Quick Reply

Latest