The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

How lenient is Reading on entry req?

Does anyone have any idea how lenient Reading is on their entry requirements? The course I've had an offer for requires me to get BBB (At least a B in English Language), which I actually already have as I took my Eng Lang exam in January, so I just need to achieve that BB. However my ICT exam didn't go as well as I had hoped, so I am expecting to get a C overall for it (as I've been on the borderline all year between the two grades B/C).

Is Reading likely to take me on with BBC instead of BBB? Anyone here had the experience of being let in despite missing out on a grade on results day?

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got in on BCD for a BBC offer, although my course was different. It just depends on the popularity of your course and success of other applicants I guess!
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Rinn
I got in on BCD for a BBC offer, although my course was different. It just depends on the popularity of your course and success of other applicants I guess!

Ahh I see. Of course I have my insurance choice if they decided to not take me if I miss out. Out of interest on results day, did your UCAS say successful despite you missing out on the offer? Or did it say Conditional still, and you had to ring up and 'beg' them so to speak? I Know one of my friends in the year above me last year ended up begging on the phone, and managed to get into Sheffield Uni despite missing out.
Reply 3
There's only 32 places on the Speech and Language Therapy course that I'm doing. ABB was the offer and I got ABC and after a phone call the still let me in. I did have a lot of work experience and volunteering though.
Reply 4
Refunder
Ahh I see. Of course I have my insurance choice if they decided to not take me if I miss out. Out of interest on results day, did your UCAS say successful despite you missing out on the offer? Or did it say Conditional still, and you had to ring up and 'beg' them so to speak? I Know one of my friends in the year above me last year ended up begging on the phone, and managed to get into Sheffield Uni despite missing out.

Reading was my insurance, and they accepted me straight away.
i was meant to get BBC to get in, predicted AAB and came out with BBD, depends on if they like you from your statement etc
Reply 6
Refunder
Does anyone have any idea how lenient Reading is on their entry requirements? The course I've had an offer for requires me to get BBB (At least a B in English Language), which I actually already have as I took my Eng Lang exam in January, so I just need to achieve that BB. However my ICT exam didn't go as well as I had hoped, so I am expecting to get a C overall for it (as I've been on the borderline all year between the two grades B/C).

Is Reading likely to take me on with BBC instead of BBB? Anyone here had the experience of being let in despite missing out on a grade on results day?

Thank you!

I got a email from reading about two days ago saying that if i dont make the entry requrement I might still get in but it depends on how many spaces are already taken / free.
Generally extremely leniant - I was supposed to get AAB and got ABB and they let me in, i probably know at least 5 other people who missed grades and still got in. That said, I worked in the undergrad admissions office one year and they'd accidently offered too many places for one really popular course (somehting like agriculuture or land management) and if you didn't get the grades you were out. People were getting BBC instead of BBB, having missed out on the 3rd B by 1 mark or something, with letters from the school to beg the uni to accept them, and they couldn't let them in.
Reply 8
hey i know this is probably stupid to ask, but ive got a condional for pharmacy ABB, do you think they might let me in on BBB?
You can still be accepted if you do not meet the conditional offer, only if there are spcaes left. If many people have not applied for the course, then there is a chance you will still get in.
Reply 10
I've been thinking about this too. I should be able to get AAB for the Accounting and Management course I applied to but was wondering if they'd let me in with ABB...
Reply 11
Feeling the same way about Biomedical Science, my offer is BBCc (got the small `c` already with Physics at AS though. But i'm struggling to get BCC! However I am doing welsh bacc, had mitigating circumstances for the January exams (long story short, i was basically told two nights before my exam to go down to the hospital, as my mum was going to die overnight, she didnt! just spent a long time critical in ICU) and have plentiful of work experience on my personal statement, I do hope they let me in :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by kog
Feeling the same way about Biomedical Science, my offer is BBCc (got the small `c` already with Physics at AS though. But i'm struggling to get BCC! However I am doing welsh bacc, had mitigating circumstances for the January exams (long story short, i was basically told two nights before my exam to go down to the hospital, as my mum was going to die overnight, she didnt! just spent a long time critical in ICU) and have plentiful of work experience on my personal statement, I do hope they let me in :P

Of course you ought to inform of that, I hope your mom is okay now?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
Original post by Aa234
Of course you ought to inform of that, I hope your mom is okay now?

She's ok now thanks, my school wa made aware of it, and they say they've included a form to be sent off with my papers so the unis are aware, just hope i do get in still!
Reply 14
Got BBB and still got in :biggrin: i was really close to As and I did get As in 3 of my chem exams and a high B in the fourth, but sadly my as cwrk pulled me down to B overall, glad I got in though :biggrin:

I put them as my insurance this year on a History and English course which required AAB/ABB and they offered me a place even though I got BBC.
Reply 16
Original post by Aa234
Got BBB and still got in :biggrin: i was really close to As and I did get As in 3 of my chem exams and a high B in the fourth, but sadly my as cwrk pulled me down to B overall, glad I got in though :biggrin:

Same! Going there for pharmacy! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Bright
Same! Going there for pharmacy! :biggrin:

Yayy I found someone! Ahaha :tongue: what halls are you in?

Reply 18
Original post by Aa234
Yayy I found someone! Ahaha :tongue: what halls are you in?

whoop! :smile: And I'm not moving out. Was this your firm choice?
Reply 19
Original post by Bright
whoop! :smile: And I'm not moving out. Was this your firm choice?

Oh right, yeah it was, was it yours?

Quick Reply