The Student Room Group

Best Uni fofr Natural Sciences course

I quite fancy doing natural sciences for a degree course, just wondering if anyone has any recommended universities??? At the moment there is only a limited number of Uni's who do this but i would still be good to get a student's perspective on this.
Cambridge/Durham/UCL...a natural sciences degree from anywhere else won't carry much weight in my opinion.
Reply 2
Original post by A level Az
Cambridge/Durham/UCL...a natural sciences degree from anywhere else won't carry much weight in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure Bath would disagree there ! It's Arguably better than Durham/UCL!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Jackkkkk
I'm pretty sure Bath would disagree there ! It's Arguably better than Durham/UCL!

Not as prestigious though, which is what you need when you're taking a lesser known degree.
Reply 4
Original post by Jackkkkk

Do you go to Bath University?
Reply 5
Original post by A level Az
Not as prestigious though, which is what you need when you're taking a lesser known degree.

Are you currently studying a Natural Sciences Course?
Reply 6
The answer to your question will depend upon you, what grades you think you'll get, where you want to live, etc.

Cambridge's is the dog's *******s. I don't know about any others.
Reply 7
Original post by Dev1995
Do you go to Bath University?

No I don't- but I got an offer from them but decided not to accept it ! Not for Nat Sci though - but one of my friends has an offer from them for Nat Sci and from Durham !

Reply 8
When I went to Durham, ICL on open days they actively discouraged doing nat sci and some lecturers said Cambridge is the only uni in England where it is set up for nat sci, everywhere else doing a single science is much more valued as they get a lesser dept in each science whereas at Cambridge they get this broad and deep understanding of science
Original post by BlueJohn
When I went to Durham, ICL on open days they actively discouraged doing nat sci and some lecturers said Cambridge is the only uni in England where it is set up for nat sci, everywhere else doing a single science is much more valued as they get a lesser dept in each science whereas at Cambridge they get this broad and deep understanding of science

Is this true?? I was considering a natsci degree but I think you might be right - is a natsci degree valued less than a single science degree??
Reply 10
Nat Sci is no less valued at all, it is a harder degree hence the higher entry requirements and proves you are a multi-disciplinary person.

I currently go to Bath, doing Nat Sci and can honestly say that we tend to get priority over students taking the straight sciences. All the departments accept you, you have tutorials from every department and you get a personal tutor in your major subject.
To be honest i really enjoy it and would recommend it to anyone that was thinking of doing it. Plus it keeps your options open at the end of your degree.

Feel free to ask any questions.
What do people think of University of Birmingham, I'm starting MSci Natural Sciences there in September...
Reply 12
Original post by adam17
What do people think of University of Birmingham, I'm starting MSci Natural Sciences there in September...

Hi, i'm thinking of doing Nat science at Birmingham. What do you think of it?
I think all the department acknowledge you, you have excercises from each division and you get an individual mentor in your significant subject,to be completely forthright i truly appreciate it and would prescribe it to anybody that was considering doing it. Also it keeps your choices open at the end of your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending