The Student Room Group

TSR Dance Society!

Scroll to see replies

Would have no idea, although improvisation springs to mind. Try wiki-ing it!

Out of interest, did anyone go to that convention in Olympia yesterday, Move-it Dance London? Was amazing in the talent of the shows there, and the classes were great too, showed me all the styles to someone who's only had 3 months exposure. I want to try tap now!:biggrin:
My mum (who's a dance teacher) got sent some info about it but we didn't go; it didn't look like it justified the cost of getting to London, but perhaps we made a mistake? :frown:
Oh and the definition of freestyle isn't really universal e.g what some people call freestyle, others call disco, or modern, or street. Similarly, to some people, particularly i think in terms of street/hip-hop, it means improvisation, whereas to others it's more learning a general routine and putting your own slant on it. :smile:
Ooh, new people! :biggrin: Have accepted the join requests. We are gaining popularity. :p:

Did anyone just watch Strictly Dance Fever?? Some of the Argentine Tango's were great.
Reply 64
Krysa
Would have no idea, although improvisation springs to mind. Try wiki-ing it!

Out of interest, did anyone go to that convention in Olympia yesterday, Move-it Dance London? Was amazing in the talent of the shows there, and the classes were great too, showed me all the styles to someone who's only had 3 months exposure. I want to try tap now!:biggrin:

I went to the convention, and absolutely loved the whole day - such amazing displays on the main stage, and all the workshops were extremely well-taught. I felt a bit daunted by all the younger people who were really bendy and fit and clearly angling for a place at Urdang or Pineapple, when I haven't danced properly for about six years and am exceeding unfit, but it really inspired me to get back into it!
Reply 65
Hi, just joined, thought Id come and introduce myself!
I'm Louise, currently @ Bath uni (and lovin it!) I do Ballet, Tap and Jazz, also just started Latin and Ballroom! Just finished our annual show, it was really fun, can't wait till next year!
Anyway thats all I can think of, nice to see there are other dancers around!
love Louise xx
louised33
I'm Louise, currently @ Bath uni (and lovin it!) I do Ballet, Tap and Jazz, also just started Latin and Ballroom! Just finished our annual show, it was really fun, can't wait till next year!
love Louise xx

Hey Louise, i'm Debbie. How are you hun?
What was the show like? Did it have a theme?
louised33
love Louise xx

Hi :smile:
Bath uni is my insurance choice...and its such a great uni! im really happy to know that i will still have the chance to carry on dancing :biggrin:
Reply 68
Hi, the show was just usual mix of ballet, tap, jazz, street contempory etc. (there was also a Pointe-Jazz one!) Our theme was "films" this year although it was fairly loose! It was a really good week, got great feedback from people - so a great sucess!
Bath's a good choice, its a really fab place to be, lots of opprtunities. Chocolatechesse, what subject did you apply for? I'm doing Chemistry (prob the only Tap-dancing Chemist! hehe!) What type of dance are you into?
Louise x
hehe i've applied for Biochemistry! :biggrin: so i'll probably be the only tap-dancing biochemist :p:
im in to all sorts of dance, Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Modern....but i want to take some different ones up when im at uni :smile: i cant wait! :biggrin:
Reply 70
Hey,
Do you think its possible to continue irish dancing at uni ??
cazhorsey
Hey,
Do you think its possible to continue irish dancing at uni ??

One uni must do it!! What unis are you wanting to go to? Have a look on the student union website. When did you start irish dancing?
Reply 72
i used to dance ballet character and tap, but had to stop due to injury and im still bitter and twisted about it!! now i pole dance now and then sounds slezzy but i do it for fun and fully dressed and not sordidly!! My dream was to get into the royal school of ballet i was so close so so close then my back got injured and i packed the whole thing in cause i was so bitter that the injury would stop me acheiving my dream, my biggest regret packing it in!
Reply 73
Well.. this thread has died a bit.
What are people up to?
Reply 74
Probably ppl study like hell:smile: aren't your exams going on atm? As for me, I'm taking my finals... oral part still to come !
Reply 75
Just stumbled across this thread... I'm an Irish dancer, male Irish dancer. And yes, Cazhorsey, it is possible to keep dancing at uni! A girl at my school won the Worlds in her final year at uni! Even if I go out of Ireland for university, there are plenty of dancing schools in England and Wales for me to dance at and qualify for the Worlds at! Don't give it up! :biggrin:
Reply 76
pniaq
Probably ppl study like hell:smile: aren't your exams going on atm? As for me, I'm taking my finals... oral part still to come !
My three exams are at the beginning of June, one of which isn't really too important. So i'm studying a bit now but not quite "like hell" :smile:
me too...im studying...but not "like hell"....even though i should be really....
but hey its 10:24! i need a break :rolleyes:
I want a ballerina girlfriend. Is this the right place? :wink:

I want to learn to dance as well, and enjoy watching ballet. :smile:
well....if you want a ballerina girlfriend, then why don't you learn ballet? you'll be surrounded by them :smile:

i'm hoping there is a dance society at oxford, especially a ballet one, as i really want to carry it on....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending