The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

T-o dore
Ok, I know you cant be thick, but grades are a different matter - on the websites they say they have no real entry requirements. Basically all i was saying was that entry in to university (especially places like oxford) is based almost completely on academia, but for drama school its hugely based on talent. I have a few friends who go to RADA and Central already as well.

so drama schools are equally as difficult to get into as places like oxbridge then? just because the "entry requirements" differ, doesnt make them different in terms of difficulty to get into them.
so my point is, central, as it is part of uni of london, and the other drama schools are their own "schools" with diplomas rather than degrees like central does, should be in the top 8 list for difficulty to get into because of the high application:tongue:laces ratio, talent needed, grades required, and all the hokum with interviews and portflios/essay/project/workshops having to be undertaken first. even oxbridge dont ask for all the stuff drama schools require.
francescarella
so drama schools are equally as difficult to get into as places like oxbridge then? just because the "entry requirements" differ, doesnt make them different in terms of difficulty to get into them.
so my point is, central, as it is part of uni of london, and the other drama schools are their own "schools" with diplomas rather than degrees like central does, should be in the top 8 list for difficulty to get into because of the high application:tongue:laces ratio, talent needed, grades required, and all the hokum with interviews and portflios/essay/project/workshops having to be undertaken first. even oxbridge dont ask for all the stuff drama schools require.

Well here we go in to a whole different matter; do we need to work to get talent or is it just 'in us' naturally? And what makes something hard? Anyway the basic flaw is that they are not universities so they couldnt get in to top 8. Universities and drama schools have completely different requirements. Anyway the last person I saw go to drama school hardly did any work at all! Look out for a guy called Matt Williams - he'll be in your class (I was just in a play wid him in the Theatre royal, Bath).
T-o dore
Well here we go in to a whole different matter; do we need to work to get talent or is it just 'in us' naturally? And what makes something hard? Anyway the basic flaw is that they are not universities so they couldnt get in to top 8. Universities and drama schools have completely different requirements. Anyway the last person I saw go to drama school hardly did any work at all! Look out for a guy called Matt Williams - he'll be in your class (I was just in a play wid him in the Theatre royal, Bath).

but it's part of the uni of london same as queen mary is and royal holloway is. it offer's degrees validated by the uni of london and is a registered institute of higher education. you apply through ucas same as any other uni and basically i'm just annoyed that central cant be considered a "uni" simply becuase it's apparently not traditional in it's degree courses or terms of "academia required". people goin to central say they are goin to uni, not drama school. just becuase it offers degrees in specific dramamtical subjects and doesnt offer a degree in something like maths doesnt make it any less of a uni. would you call st barts not a uni cos it only does medicine?
personally i think we are born with the talent and then through various nurturing, can develop the talent to it's full potential, so basically you can only work hard with what you already have.

matt williams- he's gonna be on my performance arts course starting this year? if so i shall indeed be working with him and get to know him quite well as there are only 9 of us lol.
francescarella

matt williams- he's gonna be on my performance arts course starting this year? if so i shall indeed be working with him and get to know him quite well as there are only 9 of us lol.

All i know is hes doing the full drama course - not completely sure which one!
T-o dore
All i know is hes doing the full drama course - not completely sure which one!

haha that's helpful. theres about 15 full drama courses......
oh well i probably will see him at some point i imagine.
Reply 285
I'm not sure that Edinburgh really is that selective. Law and Medicine are ridiculously competitive but overall I think they have about 6 applicants per place (although Oxford and Cambridge only have about four applicants per place, so that may not be the best way to judge it) and at least 50 people out of a sixth year of perhaps 150 people get in every year from the school I went to - and I'm only talking about those who actually chose Edinburgh as their firm offer.
Look at average UCAS points (for the average person) for each uni and i spose the highest, the hardest to get in to.
Reply 287
T-o dore
Look at average UCAS points (for the average person) for each uni and i spose the highest, the hardest to get in to.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/gooduniversityguide.php?sort=ENTRY

Not UCAS points but, still....

According to that ranking Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Imperial, Warwick and Durham.

Anyway, not quite. Especially as it varies course by course. It's not really possible to give a top eight most difficult universities to get into.
Reply 288
i think it depends a lot on the student..
i didnt have the most amazing AS grades (AABCC) and still got offers from Warwick, Nottingham, KCL and Royal Holloway (and Hull..but that doesn't really count anywhere near top 8!)
i think i had a strong personal statement and a lot of extra-curricular activities that i know warwick and nottingham expressed as very important to fit in at those universities...sometimes people may be the most intelligent people with a billion A grades and still not get accepted simply because they are not suited to the lifestyle at certain unis?
foxo
I'm not sure that Edinburgh really is that selective. Law and Medicine are ridiculously competitive but overall I think they have about 6 applicants per place (although Oxford and Cambridge only have about four applicants per place, so that may not be the best way to judge it) and at least 50 people out of a sixth year of perhaps 150 people get in every year from the school I went to - and I'm only talking about those who actually chose Edinburgh as their firm offer.

we were told at our school than unless you were absolutely heart set on edinburgh we shouldn't bother applying because apparantly edinburgh will hugely favour scottish candidates over english ones and so if your english its just really difficult to get into
Reply 290
starcarton
we were told at our school than unless you were absolutely heart set on edinburgh we shouldn't bother applying because apparantly edinburgh will hugely favour scottish candidates over english ones and so if your english its just really difficult to get into

That's just yet another school speaking crap. I've visited Edinburgh a number of times and there are plenty of English students around. I have a number of friends studying there also.

Being one of the top unis it does have quite a large middle class, independent school intake. Much of this comes from England.

I don't think it has as high a proportion of English students as St Andrews has, but it's still not too bad.
I don't think you can really say certain universities are 'difficult' to get into since many universities are course dependent and there are many other factors which are taken into account other than grades.

Also using the idea of certain universities having higher applicant ratios doesn't necessarily work since come universities are just more popular than others.

Then again, I'm applying to uni this year, so I am not entirely familiar with the whole system.
Reply 292
I think the hardest universities to get into, are ones where for a particular course, entry requirements take into account GCSE's and A-Levels, plus an entry test. Then an interview, then pooling. That process for an AAA course at say Cambridge, is far more difficult to get into than the equivalent course, with still an AAA requirement at say Sussex or Exeter.
Reply 293
bionic07
I think the hardest universities to get into, are ones where for a particular course, entry requirements take into account GCSE's and A-Levels, plus an entry test. Then an interview, then pooling. That process for an AAA course at say Cambridge, is far more difficult to get into than the equivalent course, with still an AAA requirement at say Sussex or Exeter.

Oxbrdige generally don't look at GCSEs though.
Reply 294
they do, trust me.
unlike the USA, UK unis dont have official acceptance rates, its highly dependent on the subjects you apply to read.

apart from oxbridge, obviously, the question is one without a definitive answer
Reply 296
bionic07
they do, trust me.

Do they? That's not what I've been told by numerous tutors and stundets, incl

Go over to the Oxbridge forum and ask if they look at GCSEs. They'll soo tell you.

I really don't think they do, not outside medicine etc. and certainly not as fierecly as places like Durham (depending on course), LSE etc.
Reply 297
Suppose you could base it on average point scores to get in :|

But probably 'easier' to say which course is more applied to then the uni

My course i applied to had nearing 4000 applicants they told us with over 25:1 place
danlee
Suppose you could base it on average point scores to get in :|

But probably 'easier' to say which course is more applied to then the uni

My course i applied to had nearing 4000 applicants they told us with over 25:1 place

Wow lol. I thought one of mine was bad odds at 15:1 (applicants to a place).
Reply 299
If you pop over to the Oxbridge forum, you'll see a whole long thread of 'are my GCSEs good enough for Oxbridge' :smile: they certainly take GCSEs into account, though there's no A* cut off point (as I think is the case with LSE?)

Latest

Trending

Trending