The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scandinavian Studies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
:hmmm:

Only way to help promote the degrees, damnit. Plus, you loved hearing all about UCL. ;yes;
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 61
I like hearing anythingb about it as I still dont know where and what to study...
Reply 62
Hylean
:hmmm:

Only way to help promote the degrees, damnit. Plus, you loved hearing all about UCL. ;yes;

Ah you got me there.
And bribery works too. I believe Ally-Beal is attempting to bribe people onto the Finnish course with Koskenkorva. Tis tempting. :tongue:

C-
Reply 63
I'm all for this shameless promotional propagation of UCL Scan Studies-related insider knowledge. It just makes me all the more enthusiastic about the place. Keep it up! :biggrin:
Reply 64
can you tell me how many hours do you normaly have per week at this course?
If you are doing a Scandinavian language ab initio - as a complete beginner- you get 5 hours per week of instruction in the language.
Hey there Scandinavian Studies people. I'm currently at Sixth Form and have decided to take a year out to do German and another AS. I have a GCSE in French but thought it best to do a Germanic language for a year which would help me when I apply for (and hope to get in for) Scandinavian Studies in September 2009.
I am very interested in Norwegian, Swedish and Danish as well as German and Dutch but with slightly less influence. I speak some French with my Dad at home but Latin and Germanic based languages are quite different in many respects.
I went to the UCL interview and open day this year (2008) in March time and was recommended to do a Germanic language. Everyone was really great and I didn't get that artificial ''we're pretending to like you'' feel which was definitely a plus.
I'm currently self teaching myself Norwegian which has proved to be a challenge not in picking up the language but finding the time amongst the A2's I'm currently doing.
So...has anyone got any tips of pointers on how to learn German and Norwegian whilst doing other things because sometimes I feel 24 hours is not enough time in the day. I need sleep sometimes dammit! :smile:
Thank you very much for any reply, I have been some other forums recently and you've all been great!
:tsr2:
Reply 67
It's been a long while since anyone said anything here, so I thought I'd wake this thread up again.

Did anyone else also receive their reading list from Scan Studies? I've just got mine. I'm trying to work out which books I should definitely buy and which I can get away with library hunting for. I'm thinking of buying at least the two listed under 'General Scandinavian Background and History' as they sound useful throughout the course. Perhaps also 'Teach yourself linguistics'.
Reply 68
Mumintroll
It's been a long while since anyone said anything here, so I thought I'd wake this thread up again.

Did anyone else also receive their reading list from Scan Studies? I've just got mine. I'm trying to work out which books I should definitely buy and which I can get away with library hunting for. I'm thinking of buying at least the two listed under 'General Scandinavian Background and History' as they sound useful throughout the course. Perhaps also 'Teach yourself linguistics'.

*invades* Ooh they're starting to send out reading lists? yay, excitement!! /invasion
Reply 69
~Ally~
*invades* Ooh they're starting to send out reading lists? yay, excitement!! /invasion

As long as you invaded in a long boat, it's acceptable! :wink:
Yes, it makes it that bit more real. I also got the reading list for SSEES history with it (all in the same envelope with a letter asking to see my exam certs and a booklet on 'Joining UCL'). I'm guessing yours will be along soon.
Reply 70
Mumintroll
As long as you invaded in a long boat, it's acceptable! :wink:
Yes, it makes it that bit more real. I also got the reading list for SSEES history with it (all in the same envelope with a letter asking to see my exam certs and a booklet on 'Joining UCL'). I'm guessing yours will be along soon.

Awesomes. whilst typing the last reply, my head was going 'ah, hang on, i only have SSEES to deal with, not the IKEA-spawning efficiency of the scandi dept... ' but if SSEES is getting it's act together too.. :biggrin: :viking:
Reply 71
As i've checked the recommended reading online I assume that like one need to have 3 books for sure and hunt for the others in the liblary. I am not thinking about it now as I do not have my exam results, so I do not know if I am accepted.
Reply 72
klika89
As i've checked the recommended reading online I assume that like one need to have 3 books for sure and hunt for the others in the liblary. I am not thinking about it now as I do not have my exam results, so I do not know if I am accepted.

Ah cool. I didn't realise it was also online.

I've ordered Scandinavian Politics Today (as its particularly relevant to my interests and it looks good from the Amazon preview). I've also ordered 'Teach Yourself Linguistics' just because I'm not so good at remembering all the various technical terms when it comes to language learning. So, thought it would be helpful (plus it's not so expensive).

I've had a look on the website of my county's library service and they have got some of the others (to my happy surprise), although they are all in some dark cellar in their HQ rather than on shelves. So, I will try and order them to come to my local town library so I can get hold of them.

As it it happens I studied Ibsen's A Doll's House for A-level, so I have that (great play - although we went to see a really bizarre Japanese director's take on it at the theatre which really didn't do it justice). I also have 'Nils Holgerssons underbara resa genom Sverige' (Lagerlöf) in Swedish because it's a kid's book and even I can understand it :biggrin: Don't think it's exactly degree level stuff though!! I've heard that her books 'Jerusalem' and 'Emperor of Portugal' are good though, so maybe I should read those too.

And good luck with waiting for those results!
Reply 73
Some of the recommended books are in the course handbook at the UCL page (with the courses that one need to take and what assessment will be given). I fell like ordering the book for grammar as it repeats in 3 years, but still do not know.
Reply 74
Got mine today, which kind of made up for the non-appearance of several parcels I was waiting for!
TK Derry's History of Scandinavia I've already read as some background before my interview, so I'm quite happy that's on there - fascinating book, but not what I would term easy or quick reading!
Some of them I'm going to amazon, most of them I think I'm going to order in if they're in the Surrey Library system (the advantages of working in a Library become apparent at last!) and then see if I'm going to buy them.

C-
Reply 75
Ah good to hear the Derry book is good. I'm going to try and order it at my local library this evening. It's in some random book bunker right now by the looks of it.
I googled for a discount code for Waterstones.com and found a 5 pounds off code; enter S42008 in the relevant box if you order before 30 June.

Did you notice that you can get a pretty good idea of how your timetable might look from the Scan Studies website?
Reply 76
Haha, sounds like most of the ones on the list that Surrey has, all kept in the mysterious 'Reserve Store' - been working in the library for over a year and a half and I still have no idea where it is or who works there. But yeah, Derry is interesting, but took me quite a while to get through (and lost me a few times with the countries constantly swapping leaders and who owns who and where the borders are...though I suppose that's not really Derry's fault)

Thanks for the Waterstones code, will have to see which books are cheaper on there and which on amazon. Also, do we have to get the copies from the year they specify? cos most of them seem to have more recent versions/reprints (which are cheaper and easier to find!)

I'd seen the timetable thing and worked out what my timetable might be (Only 1 thing for an hour on Monday morning :biggrin:) Quite interesting!

C-
Reply 77
I love you all, welcome to Scandinavian Studies. I will see you all in September! :biggrin:
Reply 78
Out of curiosity, does anyone know why 'The Bible - New Testament' is on the list? :s-smilie:

C-
Reply 79
no idea.......
and about the time-table it seems that i will have 2 totally free days...

Quick Reply

Latest