The Student Room Group

Do you NEED blank lines in between personal statement paragraphs?

I've just tried out my PS for size and it fits perfectly in the 47 line limit. However, it looks like this (attached)

Does the attached look okay/readable?
Is it worth me trying to indent paragraphs or try and make some space for blank lines between paragraphs (i would need to cut down my PS - which I can't..)???

I just don't want to annoy the admissions team with a PS that is difficult to read. :confused:

Edit: You can clearly see where a new paragraph starts, but there is no clear blank line between paragraphs.

Scroll to see replies

why didn't you just type Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa instead of taking a picture of it? lol

have you tried to indent paragraphs? do they show up? i can't remember if they do but some formatting doesn't come up when you publish.
Unfortunately, mine won't have room for lines between paragraphs.
Take your pick; vital information or blank lines.
Reply 3
Oooh, are you allowed to indent paragraphs instead of leaving blank lines? Because if so this will save me a lot of space!
Reply 4
I submitted mine the same as yours. I seem to remember being advised against it by people on here but my school said it was fine and it gave me no problems.

No, it is not possible to indent, unless they have changed it since I did mine.
wintersunset
why didn't you just type Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa instead of taking a picture of it? lol

have you tried to indent paragraphs? do they show up? i can't remember if they do but some formatting doesn't come up when you publish.

lol I thought it might not work properly on this :p:
If you indent it, I think they might just remove the indent when you paste it into that box. :dontknow:
Mask Of Sanity
Unfortunately, mine won't have room for lines between paragraphs.
Take your pick; vital information or blank lines.

Yeah, this is true. But I'm worried they might get a little irritated by reading a PS that kind of looks like a big block of text. But with my PS (in UCAS), you can clearly see where new paragraphs start...I just haven't got space for a brand new line. I'm still drafting it though, hopefully I can cut some out.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=21247956#post21247956

I asked the same question yesterday, and sent it in a couple of hours later (against the best advice on that thread, too) just like you did.
I put a blank line between each paragraph. It's how our school teaches us to do it. We were told that if you are reading hundreds of the wretched things then you want them to be as readable as possible.
I wouldn't, personally. I think appearance is quite important.
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Yeah, this is true. But I'm worried they might get a little irritated by reading a PS that kind of looks like a big block of text. But with my PS (in UCAS), you can clearly see where new paragraphs start...I just haven't got space for a brand new line. I'm still drafting it though, hopefully I can cut some out.

Likewise to be fair. I'm just finding it very difficult to cut down as it is, let alone for blank lines.
I didn't put blank lines in between paragraphs, as otherwise I'd have been over the 47 line limit and there was nothing more that I wanted to take out. If possible I would have though, as it does look better.
I laughed in the face of blank lines for mine.

The way I see it, Admission Tutors know that you have limitations and they're not going to care one way or the other about how it looks, it's the content they'll be more interested in.
I didn't put blank lines between each paragraph and couldn't afford massive indents. Instead a put two spaces before each new paragraph (with spacebar) and left it at that.
I got all my offers though so it doesn't hinder you too much :smile:
Reply 14
mine didnt have blank lines, and judging from the fact i got into imperial, i dont think top uni's care.
Reply 15
u can put indents and blank lines in but when you submit the personal statement they will all be removed
Red Alert
u can put indents and blank lines in but when you submit the personal statement they will all be removed

Really?

So, regardless, every university will receive a block piece of text?
Reply 17
To be honest, it doesn't matter that much. My own preference last year was to put the lines in. That way I had to think of less to write, and it was more pleasing on the eyes of the uni admissions tutors (who probably have to read through hundreds of the things).

Red Alert

35mm_
Really?

So, regardless, every university will receive a block piece of text?

Blank lines aren't removed (unless they're at the beginning or end of your PS), it's only excess spaces that are.
looks fine to me, im sure the uni. wont care that much and would much rather have more info about you than blank lines. Unless it specifically specifies it wants blank lines, i dont think i included it. I can clearly see where each paragraphs start.
Reply 19
Indents will be removed. Blank lines will not.

Latest

Trending

Trending