The Student Room Group

How to apply for the PGCE student loan?

I thought I had escaped the days of fighting with the SLC but clearly not!

How on earth do you apply for student finance for the PGCE? I can't seem to find the option anywhere. I have the option of four undergraduate types, and no matter which I click on the PGCE or any teacher training for that matter isn't available. Am I just applying way too early, or am I missing something?

I've read all over their website and clicked every link I've come across but all take me to the same place!
You can do it online... It's as a continuing student and under ITT fulltime/parttime
Reply 2
Apply using the paper copy of the application form! It makes more sense...! Also, i was told starting a PGCE classes as being a new student and not a continuing one? (Im currently in my final year of my degree!)... any thoughts?!
Reply 3
xKTx
You can do it online... It's as a continuing student and under ITT fulltime/parttime

The ITT option doesn't seem to be there. I have a choice of undergraduate full time, undergraduate part time, undergraduate distance learning and undergraduate sandwich course!

hollyy13
Apply using the paper copy of the application form! It makes more sense...! Also, i was told starting a PGCE classes as being a new student and not a continuing one? (Im currently in my final year of my degree!)... any thoughts?!

I can tell you right away it's a continuing one because it wouldn't let me create a new account :wink:
Yeah it's definitely continuing student. I did a paper copy originally but did it as new student and it got sent back to me
Reply 5
Ok so i am a little confused here by peoples posts. Basically i was reg with the SLC for a three year course...finished that in July 2009. So i have taken a year out and need to apply for PGCE student finance...am i right in thinking i have to do it as a continuing student and not reg with the SLC as a new one. That therefor means i cant actually apply online yet then as on the directgov website is says applications are only open for new students...its very confusing!!
Reply 6
Doh... more help please... Does the PGCE class as a sandwich course? Or just full time undergrad (I know its not undergrad... but thats what the help notes seem to point towards!)...Its the first question on the form lol... ive put full time undergrad for now... but ive come to the same question later on in the form... and the help notes talk about ITT but there is no option to select... just full time, flexible, part time, sandwich! Agh why cant they make it straight forward?!

ps. gijones... the continuing student 2010 applications are now open...they opened on the 1st of Jan :smile:
Reply 7
hollyy13
Doh... more help please... Does the PGCE class as a sandwich course? Or just full time undergrad (I know its not undergrad... but thats what the help notes seem to point towards!)...Its the first question on the form lol... ive put full time undergrad for now... but ive come to the same question later on in the form... and the help notes talk about ITT but there is no option to select... just full time, flexible, part time, sandwich! Agh why cant they make it straight forward?!

ps. gijones... the continuing student 2010 applications are now open...they opened on the 1st of Jan :smile:

I'm glad it's not just me who can't figure this out! I felt like a right moron when I was battling with the site.

After you've chosen your university - is the course on there? Because I've tried both full time undergrad and sandwich course, and in both cases I couldn't find the actual course listed, but I don't know if it's just my uni not having put it up yet or not.
Reply 8
gijones
Ok so i am a little confused here by peoples posts. Basically i was reg with the SLC for a three year course...finished that in July 2009. So i have taken a year out and need to apply for PGCE student finance...am i right in thinking i have to do it as a continuing student and not reg with the SLC as a new one. That therefor means i cant actually apply online yet then as on the directgov website is says applications are only open for new students...its very confusing!!

What I was told is that you are classed as a new student..for the reason you have listed. You could take years out before applying for a PGCE in which case you probably wouldn't come back into education classing yourself as a contining student.

This is not to say that you should create a new account...you use the account you have used for the past 3 years (or whatever), just apply for the 2010/2011 academic year as a new student.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong..

I did a Foundation degree and when applying for my top-up year, I was classed as a new student even though I continued with the third year directly after finishing my foundation degree...hmm, it's confusing!

:yep:
Reply 9
I'm glad it's not just me who can't figure this out! I felt like a right moron when I was battling with the site.

After you've chosen your university - is the course on there? Because I've tried both full time undergrad and sandwich course, and in both cases I couldn't find the actual course listed, but I don't know if it's just my uni not having put it up yet or not.

My course was on there (Reading Uni, early years)... when id put full time undergrad! So maybe that is the right thing to put.... I think I might just ring them up tomorrow...i guess its the only way to get it completely right! Even then i'l probably get no straight answer as I doubt they know themselves, seeing as the form doesnt work for PGCE students!

I thought i may be classed as a new student... but I suppose I just log onto my account and apply with my new universities details, hence new student at that uni maybe? So confusing!
Reply 10
Sorry to laugh but it is very funny how confusing this process is...they dont make it easy!! I think i need to, as someone mentioned...apply as a new application using my current account and just see how it goes...so do we class it as a undergraduate course and do i tell them about the course i have finished...i am so confused!!
You are definitely a continuing student

I tried as a new student last year and they sent back my application cos they couldn't process it. When I did it last year, there was an option to choose where you are either full-time/part-time at an ITT. A PGCE will not come under a list of options for an undergrad course, cos it isn't an undergrad course

Now this is from the 'new students' section (I'm guessing it's for people who went to uni before loans were introduced and are now doing a PGCE) but there is an option for a PGCE:
Reply 12
xKTx
You are definitely a continuing student

I tried as a new student last year and they sent back my application cos they couldn't process it. When I did it last year, there was an option to choose where you are either full-time/part-time at an ITT. A PGCE will not come under a list of options for an undergrad course, cos it isn't an undergrad course

Now this is from the 'new students' section (I'm guessing it's for people who went to uni before loans were introduced and are now doing a PGCE) but there is an option for a PGCE:

So am I right in thinking that you didn't have to send off any additional financial evidence for your 2010/2011 application?
No i didn't - it depends on whether you class as an independent student. Cos I'm in London i got the full loan altho about £1000 was a grant, plus tuition fee loan on top of the bursary
Reply 14
I saw the option for ITT on the paper form but ive started my application online! Ohhhhhh! Why would they not include that on the online application?! Weirdly I put undergrad and the my pgce was a course listed! It does say in the help notes something like:

undergraduate courses (and full time ITT course of one year or more)....etc

which is why I chose that option! Booo student finance... I bet they'l make it much more straight forward when it comes to paying the money back lol!

Il ring them tomorrow, i didnt get a chance today (essays :-(), and then i'l let you guys know what they say!
Reply 15
Im glad im not the only one having trouble its so frustrating!! Does anyone know what sort of forms/evidence you have to send if you want part of it based on your parents income. Im not sure it will get me much if any more but Im trying all options as Im moving away for the first time
Reply 16
Il ring them tomorrow, i didnt get a chance today (essays :-(), and then i'l let you guys know what they say!

hey, i've just encountered the same problem! what did they say when you called??
Reply 17
sorry i started a new thread, i couldn't see this one!

Any more advice?

Latest