The Student Room Group

Paying to get to School/College

For 5 years, I have benefited from Kent County Council's policy of given pupils a free season ticket to and from a grammar school, providing they live more than 3 miles aways from it.

Basically I think it takes the p*ss that to take A-Levels, my parents have to fork out £135 a term. I realise that some people are having to pay alot more to go to and from school/College, but no EMA for poor old me :frown:

Personally I think people like us staying on in higher education, should get a free season ticket. I posted a similar thread on the digitalspy forums a few weeks ago, and got flamed for it.
Reply 1
That's outrageous, but what can we do? :confused:
Reply 2
Nothing he just wanted to let of steam! lol...
Letting off steam is good! Prevents the killing of cats.... :s-smilie:
That's totally Outrageous! In case you couldn't tell I'm American, and do you know what we do to fix something like that? We protest in the Nations capitol at DC in order to slow down the entire country, because of course, that is the only way to get things done!

So I say, you walk up to PM Blair's office and march in front of it with picket signs saying "Give the starter of this thread free season tickets!"

Just a suggestion, or you could whine and yell but eventually take it like a man because there is nothing else you can do!

TSE
Reply 5
yeah that does indeed suck. I also think that people who are 16 or over but are still at school should be entitled to "child's" fares on buses, trains etc.
The Seasons End
That's totally Outrageous! In case you couldn't tell I'm American, and do you know what we do to fix something like that? We protest in the Nations capitol at DC in order to slow down the entire country, because of course, that is the only way to get things done!

So I say, you walk up to PM Blair's office and march in front of it with picket signs saying "Give the starter of this thread free season tickets!"

Just a suggestion, or you could whine and yell but eventually take it like a man because there is nothing else you can do!

TSE

You'd be arrested or shot five times in the head on suspicion of terrorism if you did that. :rolleyes:

My parents have to pay even more outrageous fees (over 2K/term) - but at least they started the education fund for me before I was born. :biggrin:
Will
You'd be arrested or shot five times in the head on suspicion of terrorism if you did that. :rolleyes:

My parents have to pay even more outrageous fees (over 2K/term) - but at least they started the education fund for me before I was born. :biggrin:

Yeah the paying of school is bad isn't it. My parents fork out £4,050 per term :eek: for me to go to my college (that doesn't include books, the normal school supplies you need, food or the actual exams either). I don't know why they are letting me go back in September as the cost, as you rightly say, is outrageous.

Oh and for the record I will not be getting EMA and my parents get no help for the cost of the college :frown: .
Hey guys,
As EU people, do you realize how lucky you are? 4,500 (i know its quid not euros but, you get the idea) What I wouldn't give to have to pay that here. School here is 40,000 dollars, so in quid that is 20,000 ish. COuld you imagine paying that!? That's why I seriously consider attending some place like UCL or something like that, because its so cheap!
Reply 9
Doom_and_Gloom
Yeah the paying of school is bad isn't it. My parents fork out £4,050 per term :eek: for me to go to my college (that doesn't include books, the normal school supplies you need, food or the actual exams either). I don't know why they are letting me go back in September as the cost, as you rightly say, is outrageous.

Oh and for the record I will not be getting EMA and my parents get no help for the cost of the college :frown: .

F*ck! That's alot of money. I take it that is not for a state College then.
Reply 10
The Seasons End
Hey guys,
As EU people, do you realize how lucky you are? 4,500 (i know its quid not euros but, you get the idea) What I wouldn't give to have to pay that here. School here is 40,000 dollars, so in quid that is 20,000 ish. COuld you imagine paying that!? That's why I seriously consider attending some place like UCL or something like that, because its so cheap!

Yeah but you guys get massive funding and, erm, can't remember the word...you know, like you get money from places/companies for going to university.............plus is that $40,000 for the whole course or just per year? Remember that at uni we're paying around £4,500 per year (at least...and this is going UP) which means that over a 3-year course we'll be paying £13,500.........so it's not all that far off!

When top-up fees come into force then it'll be MUCH higher than that too and bring us about on level with you guys. And all we get is a government loan, none of this corporate sponsorship that you guys get :p:
Reply 11
dobbs
Yeah but you guys get massive funding and, erm, can't remember the word...you know, like you get money from places/companies for going to university.............plus is that $40,000 for the whole course or just per year? Remember that at uni we're paying around £4,500 per year (at least...and this is going UP) which means that over a 3-year course we'll be paying £13,500.........so it's not all that far off!

When top-up fees come into force then it'll be MUCH higher than that too and bring us about on level with you guys. And all we get is a government loan, none of this corporate sponsorship that you guys get :p:

When are top-up fees coming into effect, how do they work?

You Englanders are at quite a big disadvantage if you want to study in Scotland. You gotta pay more than a Scottish or EU student. I'm not sure why, its discrimination!
smeets
When are top-up fees coming into effect, how do they work?

You Englanders are at quite a big disadvantage if you want to study in Scotland. You gotta pay more than a Scottish or EU student. I'm not sure why, its discrimination!
Scottish universities could well be swamped if it were free for non-scottish people in Britain.

I'd personally think the extra year would be enough to put people off.
Wilko_777
F*ck! That's alot of money. I take it that is not for a state College then.

Nope not a state College. It's called an Independent College which basically means it is private. It's just a good thing that I don't board there. The cost for a boarder is double or more :eek: of what my parents have to pay for me being a day student only.
Reply 14
I think when i was at school my parents paid just over £16000 a year. You were also billed for books as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending