The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Liv1204
Hey. Apologies for this question, it's probably really stupid but I'm kind of a beginner! I'm doing Race For Life this summer and I haven't been running for ages so I want to start up again. I'm probably average fitness and I used to go running quite a lot last year, but I've never tested distances, so I don't know how far I'm running.

So yeah, just wondering how you usually measure distances when you run?

http://www.walkjogrun.net is what I've been using to work out my distances :smile:

I've always been pretty poor at running, but along with doing some exercises to strengthen my core I've been getting out and managing to do a couple miles! Hopefully I'll get better with practice. I've always found my problem is that mentally, I just give up. Occasionally I manage to just zone out and get lost in my thoughts/the music I'm listening to, but it doesn't happen often!
just been for a run, about 30mins! Got a legs,bums, tums class tomorrow that i think i will go to. I usually volunteer till 6 but might go earlier so i can go. I'm trying to do other things than just running. i feel quite achy today though, even my ribs and chest feel almost bruised there so achy :frown: i sneezed like 7 times in a row this morning too, i really hope i am not getting a cold.

Might run tomorrow morning if i have time before school.
im gonna go for a run tomorrow afternoon after school IF i get my homework at least mostly done :smile:
Reply 263
Just ordered some nike air zoom vomero +4 running shoes 'cause my current ones are messing up my running style. Anyone got a pair, if so what are they like?
Liv1204
Hey. Apologies for this question, it's probably really stupid but I'm kind of a beginner! I'm doing Race For Life this summer and I haven't been running for ages so I want to start up again. I'm probably average fitness and I used to go running quite a lot last year, but I've never tested distances, so I don't know how far I'm running.

http://www.mapmyrun.com

Just did a 5k run without having breakfast (woke up late), now I feel iiiiill.
I really love my running shoes that I got for Christmas, really feeling the difference in my running with them, got them properly fitted and stuff so they are good for my feet and running style.

Anyway I've just signed up for my first event :biggrin: Doing the Mersey Tunnel 10K at the end of May with my mum. Should be an interesting one, not looking forward to the incline out of the tunnel :p: Just come back from a morning run, did 4k which is the furthest I've ever run (been doing 3k for a while now) and I'm happy that I did it in 30 minutes.
Reply 266
happydinosaur
I really love my running shoes that I got for Christmas, really feeling the difference in my running with them, got them properly fitted and stuff so they are good for my feet and running style.

Anyway I've just signed up for my first event :biggrin: Doing the Mersey Tunnel 10K at the end of May with my mum. Should be an interesting one, not looking forward to the incline out of the tunnel :p: Just come back from a morning run, did 4k which is the furthest I've ever run (been doing 3k for a while now) and I'm happy that I did it in 30 minutes.

I didn't bother getting mine properly fitted. I'm saving £30 by ordering on the net too. Hopefully it wont matter too much.

Good luck for your event.
Singh_2
I didn't bother getting mine properly fitted. I'm saving £30 by ordering on the net too. Hopefully it wont matter too much.

Good luck for your event.

Thanks!

Luckily the cheapest ones the running shop had were a really good fit so I got them. My feet overpronate and my ankles have a tendency to roll quite a lot so need something with firm support. They are Saucony Progrid Guide 2 ones. I don't really rack up a lot of mileage so they are alright. Think they only cost about £65 so not that much more expensive than online either..
Reply 268
Prospectacle
http://www.walkjogrun.net is what I've been using to work out my distances :smile:

Thank-you, much appreciated! :smile:
happydinosaur

Good luck :smile: Lol I've been to a couple of different places now to get running shoes fitted and they never know what to recommend to me because I do something really 'unusual' with my feet when I run apparently :o: .
Reply 270
Liv1204

I use a Nike+iPod thing (http://www.apple.com/uk/ipod/nike/), which I've found is the best option for me as my outdoor running routes are quite variable (and can be difficult to map, as they're sometimes not along main roads, or windy/curvy/etc). The major downside is cost (especially if you don't already have an iPod nano etc, though you don't actually need special Nike+ shoes) and a certain degree of inaccuracy...

(Otherwise mapmyrun as has been suggested is fantastic if you run straight routes...)
Liv1204

I use mapmyrun which is alright. When I was at home in the summer I used my dads Garmin gps sports watch which was fantastic! Very expensive though so I wont be getting one myself anytime soon.
Reply 272
I've only just started out running but here goes;

How far do you run? I've been doing between 2-3 miles but am looking to increase that

How long do you run for? I do 30 minute sessions, will soon go up to 40 until I can run straight through

Where do you run? Rural back lanes around my house so no one sees me lol, sometimes I use cycle paths

What do you listen to? bird song and myself gasping for breath, I don't listen to my mp3 cos I run on single track lanes so need to listen out for any traffic

Why do you do it? To stop being a cabbage, to get fit, to tone up, because I enjoy it (which surprised me)

Do you have any aims? Run in my local half marathon in september is my big aim this year but I have smaller ones to reach in the mean time like run 5 miles non stop with my running club etc
I've got a little running club going at work and our library is next to a really nice park so been going out running at lunchtime...did the 3k loop round the park today :biggrin: Can really notice the difference in fitness already from running 2-3 times a week for the last couple of weeks rather than sporadically at weekends.
Wow, I've not been on this thread for ages :smile: Well, got my first mile covered now ahead of schedule, but can't do if comfortably yet- only can do 1k easily as of yet. Still aiming for that 50min 10k though since my pace will almost certainly mean I can manage- just endurance needs working on!
attempting a hill/interval/sprints sesh today... not sure how thats gonna turn out.
Reply 276
whats the best solution for shin splits? i ran 7.4k 2 weeks ago and my legs were killing like hell. i can still feel it!? i went to the gym today and couldnt run for more than 5 minutes!

The only thing that seems to help is ibuprofen...and when the effect wears off...they start killing again! ive also been using ice packs and the usual stuff.
drAyaan
whats the best solution for shin splits? i ran 7.4k 2 weeks ago and my legs were killing like hell. i can still feel it!? i went to the gym today and couldnt run for more than 5 minutes!

The only thing that seems to help is ibuprofen...and when the effect wears off...they start killing again! ive also been using ice packs and the usual stuff.

I imagine just RICE (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elavate- that's right I think not done it in ages). Stay out of the gym, or at least off things that work your legs for a couple of days to a week, sounds hard but otherwise you'll be stuck with a stress fracture in your leg or something and that's 8 weeks out
Reply 278
manx1991
I imagine just RICE (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elavate- that's right I think not done it in ages). Stay out of the gym, or at least off things that work your legs for a couple of days to a week, sounds hard but otherwise you'll be stuck with a stress fracture in your leg or something and that's 8 weeks out

yeah, i think your right...but its taking me ages to recover...like over a week. Will the duration of pain reduce as my body gets used to running? Also, say if i have just "abit" of pain...should i hit the gym or avoid until there is NO pain?

thanks
drAyaan
yeah, i think your right...but its taking me ages to recover...like over a week. Will the duration of pain reduce as my body gets used to running? Also, say if i have just "abit" of pain...should i hit the gym or avoid until there is NO pain?

thanks

I would wait until there's no pain. If it's over a week you might want to go to your GP or a physio to get it checked out, it's quite possible it is a stress fracture and by running on it you'll pretty much be putting yourself on crutches.

Doing proper warm up and cool down stretches will greatly help the pain. This was one major lesson I learnt when I first started running- after my first run I literally ached all over. Slowly this disappeared and now I only ache after a really decent cardio session (like my club session on Tuesday, only just feeling normal today :rolleyes: )

Latest