The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography - Unit 1: Global Challenges QUIZ

This is a bit sad and I don't know if it's going to work out or not, but basically, to make revision a tad more interesting...

Someone asks a question which is answered by another user. That user then asks another question which is answered by someone else.

This is really scraping the bottle of the barrel of ways to revise but anyway!

Anyone up for it?

Scroll to see replies

List the positive and negative effects in an LEDC of a named TNC setting up there.

Not really a question, but something that could come up in the exam :wink:
List the positive and negative effects in an LEDC of a named TNC setting up there
here is what i would take about
Named TNC: Coke company

Positive effects
- creates employment
-puts money into the local economy thu paying wages to local workers
-encourages growth of infastructure
- encourages other companies to set up in same location
-they pay tax
-postivie multiplier effect

negative effects
- Exploitation of workers
-Exploitatino of local resources
-pollution as useually there is no regulation of waste magement in ledc's
-Possibily reduce tourism
-Deprive locals of resouces ( eg the coke plant drained loads of waterr from the lcoal area)

i guess you woudl split those up into environmental, social and economic? anything i missed?

Ok here is a questino for you.
list the effects global warming has had on the arctic or africa
- not really an exam question but at the end there will allways be a 15mark on the compusory case studies ( arctic/africa and california/philipines
Reply 3
Umm global warming has reduced the arctic land mass, increased sea levels there, affected arctic ocean currents, certain habitats of arctic animals such as the polar bear have been affected.. thts all I have :/

On an unrelated note, do you guys know where I can get some past papers for the new syllabus! its crazy hard to find anything, and on the edexcel site they only let u download January 2009. Any help would be appreciated.
Luhin
Umm global warming has reduced the arctic land mass, increased sea levels there, affected arctic ocean currents, certain habitats of arctic animals such as the polar bear have been affected.. thts all I have :/

On an unrelated note, do you guys know where I can get some past papers for the new syllabus! its crazy hard to find anything, and on the edexcel site they only let u download January 2009. Any help would be appreciated.

hi, i do have all three of them, i uploaded them here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=25302637#post25302637
Reply 5
Thankks so much :biggrin:
Luhin
Thankks so much :biggrin:

lol its cool, im revising like mad today, im useuall and AAA student but in the jan exam i got a C !! argh!
Reply 7
antipesto93
lol its cool, im revising like mad today, im useuall and AAA student but in the jan exam i got a C !! argh!

haha me too, i'm worried bout the paper 2morro :/. Doesn't help my teachers didn't really know what they were doing all year, didn't teach us anything about the arctic or africa, forgot to teach us bout fieldwork and it just goes on and on. So yea its siberia over here :tongue: every man for themselves.
Luhin
haha me too, i'm worried bout the paper 2morro :/. Doesn't help my teachers didn't really know what they were doing all year, didn't teach us anything about the arctic or africa, forgot to teach us bout fieldwork and it just goes on and on. So yea its siberia over here :tongue: every man for themselves.

no fieldwork in this unit, that was unit 2,
Reply 9
yupp I know, but i'm doing that unit too on the 25th. Have to teach myself everything inbetween then and now. Can't get too off topic though right? How about

'Give two strategies namely global and local to reduce the environmental consequences of global consumption'
Luhin
yupp I know, but i'm doing that unit too on the 25th. Have to teach myself everything inbetween then and now. Can't get too off topic though right? How about

'Give two strategies namely global and local to reduce the environmental consequences of global consumption'

since it seems like there are like two people on this thread lol
i would hate to do this question
but global - Kyoto agreement
Local -recycling
natinoal - stern review /ipcc
Reply 11
Why do you mention a national component? You think it'd give us more marks??
Luhin
Why do you mention a national component? You think it'd give us more marks??

o yeah good point, i didnt read the question properly, we werre taught allways to talk about it on all three (or even 4 )..but the question only takes about two..interesting...must be nothing more than a 4 mark?
Reply 13
hmm yeah. Out of curiosity how do you rate the revision notes on your school site, sorry happened to run into them?
Luhin
hmm yeah. Out of curiosity how do you rate the revision notes on your school site, sorry happened to run into them?

to be honest i havent really looked at everything in the 'resources' area, for most of my exams i just use the textboko, my notes in class are too messy and unorganised lol
alot of the revision notes on ther are just coped from the book i think lol
Reply 15
lool yea they seem to be.

Pros' and cons of ethical consumerism for people and the environment?
Luhin
lool yea they seem to be.

Pros' and cons of ethical consumerism for people and the environment?

aha i have no idea, globalisation is a major weakpoint.l

im guessing ( mostly from genreral knowdege )
pro's - less food miles, more money goes to the farmers, less taxes, less waste, piece of mind for the peopel?
cons - might not allways be ethical, fairtrade lables may be misleading,

thats probably all completly wrong!
Reply 17
nah definitely some good points raised. I didn't know the answer myself tbh :tongue: was hoping you could enlighten me.
Reply 18
hmm anyone have any tips on answering questions in section B?
Luhin
hmm anyone have any tips on answering questions in section B?

i learnt a few - in the 15 mark questions:

You get marks for includeing statistice ( EG - mt pinatubo erruption coolded the earthe by 0.9 c .... or the arctiv has increased 2c in the last 50 years)

the 15 mark ALLWAYS requires you to include knowledge on one of the compulsory case stidies

you get marks for using good terminology - EG Thermohaline circulation, albeido.

You must give positive and negative impacts all teh time, EG positive impacts on the arctic

allways try and give place specific detail - eg naemes of rivers, or names of people who live in the arctic (inuit's)

Latest