The Student Room Group

TSR Climbers Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blue_shift86

As for mountain definition. It depends on country and organisation. Different countries have different definitions of a mountain. Can't rememeber the expact definition of a UK mountain (something over 1000ft i think? But in my books everything in the UK is just a big hill. The alps are a real mountain range, as are the rockies, himalayas, Andes and the mountains of New Zealand. :smile:

Nah, I think it's 2000ft here, because 500ft-1999(approx)ft is defined as a Dewey. Although they say mountain or hill so not sure where that leaves you.

http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/EWRegions/Deweys.php
Reply 41
Original post by Chillaxer
Nah, I think it's 2000ft here, because 500ft-1999(approx)ft is defined as a Dewey. Although they say mountain or hill so not sure where that leaves you.

http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/EWRegions/Deweys.php

The mountain definition is:

Height over base of at least 2,500 m (8,202 ft).
Height over base of 1,500 m (4,921 ft).–2,500 m (8,202 ft). with a slope greater than 2 degrees
Height over base of 1,000 m (3,281 ft).–1,500 m (4,921 ft). with a slope greater than 5 degrees
Reply 42
Been to the westway loads but more a leading place. If you've not got a belay partner it's boring there. Mile end is like 90% bouldering so perfect for me. i just got back from there in fact - 4th time in a week. My arms are aching loads...think i need a few days for muscles to self-heal.

And yup, i've been to font a few times. AMAZING place! Where are you going to uni? Uni clubs usually go to font if they're a good club. :smile:

Going to Manchester to do Geology and Planetry Science, see you are doing geophysics, be t your loving it! Will be joining the club there so will be good! Have climbed in Spain, Cyprus, France and the states though and they have all had some pretty great climbing

I agree westway is more of a leading place but good for that! I'll check out mile end next time i'm down that end of the world!

I normally climb 3-4 times a week which is good and run 2-3 times trying to get my aerobic fitness up! Also going to start focusing on bouldering as I need to build more power and strength.
Original post by dipless
Also going to start focusing on bouldering as I need to build more power and strength.

If you haven't already started, start campusing! It's amazing for finger strength. I go to the board room in mile end and they have an awesome array of campus boards :biggrin:

I've got a mobius simulator in my garage and train on it when i get bored. I need to start running. Keep saying I will but get scared of people watching me run around in the park. I'm kinda a private person lol! And i hate treadmills :P. I will give it a go tomorrow (or so i say) :P
P.S. i graduate with a geophysics degree last summer. Went traveling around the world for 5 months and been job hunting (unsuccessfully since last december!). Not to bothered though...just enjoying chilling out. If i get a job, great! Else it's not the end of the world :smile:
Reply 44
I never knew TSR had a climbers thread!

Anyway, I've led up to 7c+ onsight but I've not been climbing in 5 weeks because I'm studying for exams :frown: I'll probably climb about 7b/+ onsight when I go back.

Sad times.

Also, I've only ever RP'ed up to 7c+. Most people I know redpoint about 2 grades higher than their onsight grade. Any tips anyone?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Occlusal
I never knew TSR had a climbers thread!

Anyway, I've led up to 7c+ onsight but I've not been climbing in 5 weeks because I'm studying for exams :frown: I'll probably climb about 7b/+ onsight when I go back.

Sad times.

Also, I've only ever RP'ed up to 7c+. Most people I know redpoint about 2 grades higher than their onsight grade. Any tips anyone?

Hey welcome to the thread, TBH I only started it a little while ago. I can onsight upto 7b indoors TR, but not that hard outdoor Lead around 6c.... so no point in me giving you any tips! :tongue: Do you mainly do sport? Have you ever done any Trad? Do you get out onto the crags often? Where would you most recommend if you do?
Reply 46
If you haven't already started, start campusing! It's amazing for finger strength. I go to the board room in mile end and they have an awesome array of campus boards :biggrin:

I've got a mobius simulator in my garage and train on it when i get bored. I need to start running. Keep saying I will but get scared of people watching me run around in the park. I'm kinda a private person lol! And i hate treadmills :P. I will give it a go tomorrow (or so i say) :P
P.S. i graduate with a geophysics degree last summer. Went traveling around the world for 5 months and been job hunting (unsuccessfully since last december!). Not to bothered though...just enjoying chilling out. If i get a job, great! Else it's not the end of the world :smile:

I haven't used them much yet! Am thinking of getting me a Beastmaker 1000 any thoughts?

I like running gets me out can clear my head and just go which is nice and I really don't worry about peeps watching!

Oh cool where did you graduate from? Oooooh 5 months traveling sounds wonderful, where did you visit?
Original post by dipless
I haven't used them much yet! Am thinking of getting me a Beastmaker 1000 any thoughts?

I like running gets me out can clear my head and just go which is nice and I really don't worry about peeps watching!

Oh cool where did you graduate from? Oooooh 5 months traveling sounds wonderful, where did you visit?

The beastmaster looks better than mine! It's made of wood too which i never thought they did! Awesome! The mobius one i've got is resin or something and gets a bit slimy when sweaty.

Graduated from UCL. and I went to USA (canada and mexico for a few days), Hawaii, Fiji, New Zealand and Australia. I was gonna do SE asia but Oz was really expensive and money ran out! :/

Next time, lol!
Reply 48
Original post by dipless
Hey welcome to the thread, TBH I only started it a little while ago. I can onsight upto 7b indoors TR, but not that hard outdoor Lead around 6c.... so no point in me giving you any tips! :tongue: Do you mainly do sport? Have you ever done any Trad? Do you get out onto the crags often? Where would you most recommend if you do?

Yes you can. Just because I climb a few grades harder doesn't mean you don't have useful info.

I do mostly sport. I'd rather push myself harder and fall than climb something a bit easier because I don't trust my placements. When I start to plateau I will focus on bouldering for a month or so before building up endurance again.

Normally I go to Glen Nevis for outdoor climbing. I also do a bit of outdoor climbing in Spain during school holidays.

Just thought now is the time to proclaim my LOVE for DEEP WATER SOLO!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Yes you can. Just because I climb a few grades harder doesn't mean you don't have useful info.

I do mostly sport. I'd rather push myself harder and fall than climb something a bit easier because I don't trust my placements. When I start to plateau I will focus on bouldering for a month or so before building up endurance again.

Normally I go to Glen Nevis for outdoor climbing. I also do a bit of outdoor climbing in Spain during school holidays.

Just thought now is the time to proclaim my LOVE for DEEP WATER SOLO!

TBH I have just started climbing with a guy called Nick Reyner he climbs about 8a+ and E7 and he has given me so much help with regards to my weaknesses, hence focusing on foot work power and strength! Need to do more bouldering... pyramids here we come :s-smilie:

I agree I do a lot of sport for exactly the same reason, however I do love the wandering nature of trad routes too! Have you been down to Portland... they have sooo many awesome sports routes! Did some great sports climbing in Cyprus at Ineia and Jamasons Rock about 4 weeks ago which was absolutely amazing!

Never been upto Glen Nevis any routes you'd reccomend if I get up there?

I love DWS as well have you been down to Lullworth cove some pretty sweet DWS down there! Can't wait to get down by the coast and do some more over the summer :colone:
Reply 50
The beastmaster looks better than mine! It's made of wood too which i never thought they did! Awesome! The mobius one i've got is resin or something and gets a bit slimy when sweaty.

Graduated from UCL. and I went to USA (canada and mexico for a few days), Hawaii, Fiji, New Zealand and Australia. I was gonna do SE asia but Oz was really expensive and money ran out! :/

Next time, lol!

Yeah a friend of mine has the 2000 and swears by it, but it's too advanced for me so gonna go with the 1000 and I love the wood, like you say doesn't get quite so greasy!

Nice you visited some awesome places! Bet you had an amazing time... I am jealous!

Next time indeed!
Reply 51
Original post by dipless
TBH I have just started climbing with a guy called Nick Reyner he climbs about 8a+ and E7 and he has given me so much help with regards to my weaknesses, hence focusing on foot work power and strength! Need to do more bouldering... pyramids here we come :s-smilie:

I agree I do a lot of sport for exactly the same reason, however I do love the wandering nature of trad routes too! Have you been down to Portland... they have sooo many awesome sports routes! Did some great sports climbing in Cyprus at Ineia and Jamasons Rock about 4 weeks ago which was absolutely amazing!

Never been upto Glen Nevis any routes you'd reccomend if I get up there?

I love DWS as well have you been down to Lullworth cove some pretty sweet DWS down there! Can't wait to get down by the coast and do some more over the summer :colone:

My favourite route ever :- From 4:53 onwards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtztgjXTmdc&feature=related

There is a great bat hang halfway through this climb but the guy in the vid didn't use it.

I've never been to Lullworth cove, might look into it one day. Whats its grade range?
Reply 52
My favourite route ever :- From 4:53 onwards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtztgjXTmdc&feature=related

There is a great bat hang halfway through this climb but the guy in the vid didn't use it.

I've never been to Lullworth cove, might look into it one day. Whats its grade range?

You should it's fantastic

Anything from F4 - F8a+ also a few good trad routes upto E7 6b

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=259

I'll check out the vid now
Reply 53
Just looked at Lulworth on a map, its about 500 miles from where I live!
Reply 54

Wow that looks intense what a beautiful route and what a roof! my arms would die :s-smilie:

EDIT: yeah is right down on south coast but if you fancy a week climbing/ camping tying that in with Portland a Swanage you'd have an amazing week climbing at the grades you climb :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by dipless
Wow that looks intense what a beautiful route and what a roof! my arms would die :s-smilie:

Thats what the bat hang is for!
Reply 56
Hey guys! :h:

Any climbers in Manchester?
I normally go to the Peaks or Manc Climbing Centre with my sister, but when she isn't around = stuuuck.
Reply 57
Thats what the bat hang is for!

Yeah i know but even with that they'd still die! Remember I have bad footwork :s-smilie:
Reply 58
Original post by Rananagirl
Hey guys! :h:

Any climbers in Manchester?
I normally go to the Peaks or Manc Climbing Centre with my sister, but when she isn't around = stuuuck.

Hey how are you? Welcome to the thread. I am in fact going to Manc Uni in september so if you fancy a climb then just give me a shout... can never have to many climbing buddies. try out climbfind.com if you need partners I have got a few on there before and most have been good belayers had one I refused to let me belay :eek:

I also climb in peaks a lot Roaches, Stanage so if your ever there on a weekend give me a shout i'm often there with a few peeps :tongue:

Do you mainly Trad, sport, Boulder?
Reply 59
Original post by dipless
Yeah i know but even with that they'd still die! Remember I have bad footwork :s-smilie:

Traverse sessions X4 a week for a month and you will see a big improvement. (about 1-2 grades on long endurance climbs in my experience)

Try to make each session as long as possible (2hrs+) and try to rest as much as possible on the wall (find kneebars, bat hangs, fist jams, arm bars etc) so you can spent as much time as possible actually on the wall.

I did this when I was younger cos my dad wouldn't let me do too much strength work (so it didn't affect my growth plates etc.) Now I have really good endurance and can find rests everywhere. I just need more strength, but who doesn't:tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest