The Student Room Group

Is a teacher having feelings for a student ever ok?

Lets just say this question is based on an experiance a friend had.

A male music teacher single and in his early 30's and a 17 year old student in 5th year. She is very talented a music and her gives her extra tuition after school to help her with her audition pieces and friendship develops. Man falls in love expresses his feelings to the student but nothing really happens.

What do you think of this man, is it ever ok for this to happen, can you understand the mans feelings, the girls is after all of legal age.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can understand it, yes. I actually know of someone like this, and AFTER they left school they had a relationship with the ex teacher. Although, the teacher was like early 20's and she was 18..so not a big age gap.
There was this sexy assistant student teacher at my college a couple of years ago. I think she wanted some Lewroll action :sexface:

That probably doesn't count though cos she was 20 and wasn't a proper teacher.

There are some fairly young teachers so a relationship probably wouldn't be weird outside of school. While the student is still at the school though, I dont think its ok.
Reply 3
It doesn't matter what the teacher thinks as long as they don't act upon it. I'd say it's fine once they aren't in a teacher/student relationship and the student is of legal age, but anything else is just unprofessional.
happened twice at my school - weirdly, both times with music teachers

the teachers got sacked, so there's society's general opinion for you
Reply 5
I think it's understandable - you can't help who you fall for. But it shouldn't be acted upon until they are no longer in the teacher/pupil situation.
Reply 6
Original post by goodnightvienna
happened twice at my school - weirdly, both times with music teachers

the teachers got sacked, so there's society's general opinion for you

I think musicians are perhaps more prone to peter pan syndrome!
Reply 7
Only on Brazzers... :colone:.
Original post by Dogatonic
It doesn't matter what the teacher thinks as long as they don't act upon it. I'd say it's fine once they aren't in a teacher/student relationship and the student is of legal age, but anything else is just unprofessional.

:ditto:

**** happens and people can't help who they fall in love with. What they can help is whether or not they act upon feelings :yes:

OP: was that not quite awkward for your friend when he told her how he felt? :s-smilie:
Feelings, absolutely fine - you can't help it, falling in love isn't a choice :smile: Acting on those feelings is absolutely not fine until the student is no longer a student of that particular teacher.
This is disgusting. 'Based on experience a friend had.' This clearly happened to you.
It's completely wrong, my opinion of this man would be nothing but unprofessional and vile. He is violating the trust which is formed between a student and teacher. I would immediately report this to the police and the headmaster of the school. A pervert is at loose.
Reply 11
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:ditto:

**** happens and people can't help who they fall in love with. What they can help is whether or not they act upon feelings :yes:

OP: was that not quite awkward for your friend when he told her how he felt? :s-smilie:

I think by the time it was talked about the situation had become clear to both of them and they both had feelings. The talk was to clear the air.
Original post by Girardot
I think by the time it was talked about the situation had become clear to both of them and they both had feelings. The talk was to clear the air.

Fair enough.

If I were you, I'd advise your friend to be very careful and to think quite hard before doing anything or entering into a relationship with him. It could have repercussions on him (in that he could get sacked) and if it doesn't work out, there could be nasty emotional fallout from that :yes:
Well you're obviously talking about yourself. Don't do it. If anything happens he'll be sacked for legal reasons, abusing a position of trust. If you really want something serious, wait until you leave.
A science teacher at my school, 'got off' with a 6th form student,
so she would have been around 18 years of age.
He wasn't sacked, but for the rest of his teaching career, at least at that school, he is abused with comments like, "Pedophile" and no student, has any respect for him.
Original post by Jeremy Vezznhan
This is disgusting. 'Based on experience a friend had.' This clearly happened to you.
It's completely wrong, my opinion of this man would be nothing but unprofessional and vile. He is violating the trust which is formed between a student and teacher. I would immediately report this to the police and the headmaster of the school. A pervert is at loose.

You are disgusting.
Original post by animalnitrate
You are disgusting.

How am I disgusting, when there are people here talking about intimate relations with a student. You clearly need to re-evaluate your morals.
it's not THAT bad, it's not like he's tried it on with her or said he wants in her pants... 17 year olds can be quite mature? as long as they don't act on it while she is still a pupil, don't see a problem.
Reply 18
girl: 'it's disgusting. The man is in a position of authority, it's a violation of the teacher-student trust system and the paedophile should be named and shamed. Makes me sick'

guy: 'where the hell were these women when I was at school"
It's fine to be tempted, but if he was a decent teacher he'd stop the private tuition and try to distance himself from her, at least until she finishes school.

Quick Reply

Latest