The Student Room Group

Itchy Skin / Blood Test

Okay,

For the past month I have been itching really badly, arms, back of my legs, chest/belly, inner thighs, lower back.

There is no visible rash at all. My skin goes a bit blotchy if I scratch for a while but that's almost certainly down to the actual scratching.

I went to see my doctor a few days ago and he's called me back in tomorrow for a blood test. He said when my skin is that itchy but no rash it could indicate problems with the liver or kidneys. This has me really worried, I've never had a blood test before, and I don't want anything to be wrong with me!

In the meantime he has given me some Hydromol cream (a moisturiser) and some Antihistamine. It seems to make a *bit* of difference but it still doesn't explain the source of the problem.

So,

Has any one else experienced itching like this?

How long does it take for blood test results to come back?

Thanks in advance.
I haven't experienced the itching without rash, but have had several blood tests. They usually take 2-3 days, so just keep calling back to check.
Reply 2
I'm really freaking out about it to be honest. The fact he's even doing in the tests in the first place.
Reply 3
Yeah I have kidney failure and one of the symptoms is just itching in general. Its annoying.

On the blood test front, dont' worry, it should be fairly simple :smile: and it really doesn't hurt that much, and results will come through fairly quickly, a max of a week i'd say.

Good luck, im sure it'll be ok xxx
dd1989
I'm really freaking out about it to be honest. The fact he's even doing in the tests in the first place.

Wouldn't worry about it. Could just be eczema of some description or some other dermatological condition. And if it isn't, the Doctor will deal with it. That's what they're there for after all. Or maybe your allergic to some of the material your clothes are made from. Like for example I can't wear wool because it drives my skin nuts.
dd1989

My friend is actually going through something similar at the moment - it can be lots of things not necessarily anything major could be an allergy or something less serious too.

As for blood tests, doctors recommend them in most cases, as they rule out anything sinister or the worst case scenarios. Its very common to have blood tests routinely!
Usually the test results take between 2-10 days it depends alot on where you live really.
Reply 6
Well, the blood test went about as badly as it could haha. First off I tell her I'm not too good with needles and that I have never had blood taken before, so the nurse suggests I lie on the bed.

Needle in to my left arm, she then applied the suction tube thing and oh great, my vein collapses, so blood is now dribbling down my arm, the pain kicks in and...I pass out! haha.

Got the needle in my left arm and got the blood test done, I was sweating, shaking, I felt feint, she said I looked white as a sheet and went to get me a glass of water.

She said my arms might swell and hurt a bit, which they do, it's sore to touch or bend my arms fully.

Aaaaa!
Reply 7
I used to have itching all over my body with no rash. On 120mg of telfast a day now. Though I'm tempted to ask for a blood test. Been on so many medications for a while now that it may be worthwhile...

Best cream for the itching is Eurax. It used to be prescription only. It's great
Reply 8
I had a blood test today - I think the nurse did it wrong cos my arm still feels the same as when the needle was in :frown:
Reply 9
^ Mine feels like that too!
I had that too, I had a blood test to check my liver function, it came back fine so they checked to see whether my spleen was raised (as that could indicate something more serious) and then sent me on my way saying it was nothing!
dd1989
Well, the blood test went about as badly as it could haha. First off I tell her I'm not too good with needles and that I have never had blood taken before, so the nurse suggests I lie on the bed.

Needle in to my left arm, she then applied the suction tube thing and oh great, my vein collapses, so blood is now dribbling down my arm, the pain kicks in and...I pass out! haha.

Got the needle in my left arm and got the blood test done, I was sweating, shaking, I felt feint, she said I looked white as a sheet and went to get me a glass of water.

She said my arms might swell and hurt a bit, which they do, it's sore to touch or bend my arms fully.

Aaaaa!

Suction thing?? How much blood did they take?!
I wouldn't feel too bad about fainting, I have done it when having blood taken before - twas a bit embarrasing. Blood tests are very routine, I wouldn't get too worked about that they want your blood! Wait and see the results is all you can do - I would of thought it's more likely to be some kind of skin condition such as atopic dermatitis.
Reply 12
dd1989

Aaaaa!

Ouch poor you :frown:

Dad had a Blood Test & has a massive bruise on his arm
My dad actually had a needle snap when they were drawing blood from him (as in, the nurse got one half and he kept the other). He ended up more calm than the nurse, from what I hear. And I know how you feel with the needle thing - I'm starting to get over it with all the pre-medical visits to Occupational Health, though.

I have a bit of mild eczema, like many, so I've got a little bit of advice to impart. Firstly, cotton clothing only (at least until the tests come back) - polyester and wool don't really help matters. Secondly, that moisturiser that you were given goes on your arms/legs/wherever as soon as you're out of the shower/bath especially - when your pores are still open to it. Thirdly, as a long shot, I've been told that cutting down on dairy products may help matters - of course, as a milk drinker, I didn't follow the advice, so I'm guessing it's no big deal.

Can I ask if you're asthmatic, OP?
Reply 14
Nah I'm not^

One thing I have been doing since living back home over the summer is consuming more dairy products, and more meat products.
Reply 15
I have a similar problem! Even when my skin is smooth its really itchy! i moisturise it all the time with given prescribed creams, changed soaps but nothing helps, frequently wearing fresh clothes, but just happens randomly.. Help? any ideas.. i'm not sure if i need to go for blood test.. I am still anaemic, allergy tablets don't help..
Reply 16
I have urticaria. It was a real pain to try to diagnose, had my blood tests several years ago now and they all came back negative. But if I don't take my anti-histamine(just cetirizine) then I itch like crazy. I'm forever getting rashes even with the anti histamines. Because it's an auto-immune disorder, they can't tell me what I'm allergic to, my skin just produces too many histamines for me to cope with. It's long term so the doctors also can't ever tell if it will go away. Good luck with yours! I know it's a bitch to have something like that with no explanation. I know I went to the doctors at least 6 times with it. Even when they diagnosed it I couldn't quite believe it.

Quick Reply

Latest