The Student Room Group

EEE subjects

Hi.

Im looking to apply for Electrical & Electronic Engineering at the top unis (Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Southampton) with current A level subjects being FurtherMaths, Physics and DT.

Im thinking about dropping DT (tired of the cw and dont think it will be as useful as chem) giving me an AS and taking up Chem instead.

Just wondering if it is feasible to do the entire AQA chem A level in the one year and if changing a levels would hurt my uni application.

Also about the course, can you easily get into finance with this degree (eg accountant, actuary, banker)

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by MrT135
Hi.

Im looking to apply for Electrical & Electronic Engineering at the top unis (Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Southampton) with current A level subjects being FurtherMaths, Physics and DT.

Im thinking about dropping DT (tired of the cw and dont think it will be as useful as chem) giving me an AS and taking up Chem instead.

Just wondering if it is feasible to do the entire AQA chem A level in the one year and if changing a levels would hurt my uni application.

Also about the course, can you easily get into finance with this degree (eg accountant, actuary, banker)

Thanks

The uni will be good but I wouldn't say it is specific for accounting. If you want to do accounting then do an accouting/bussiness/economics/finance degree. Not only will you have a greater job chance but will know the theory of accounting. I suggest that you should drop DT and pick up accounting.
Reply 2
Original post by MrT135
Hi.

Thanks

You can quite easily transfer from engineering to finance. 30% of the CEO's of FTSE 100 companies studied engineering as their first degree. Finance and consultancy firms are usually quick to snap up engineering graduates due to their skill with numbers and problem solving. Why not stay in engineering and then go for accountancy if you feel like it afterwards? That way you give yourself more options, i.e. accountancy/consultancy/actuary and engineering. It would be much harder to go into engineering if you did the reverse.

My girlfriend's brother finished his MSc in EEE at Imperial last year and is now working in consultancy and is hoping to move to IB.
Reply 3
Yeh. Thats what I was thinking too. Plus I do enjoy maths and physics so i guess engineering is good and opens a lot of doors. Thanks.

So does anyone know if it is possible to do a full A level in chemistry in one year and get an A/A*? Would it would hurt my uni application if I changed subjects now ie taking up chemistry?
Reply 4
Are you studying Maths or just FM?
Reply 5
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, DT and AS Economics.
So ive already decided to drop econ but I also want to drop DT as AS and take up Chemistry to A2 in one year.
In case youre wondering about my academic ability I got AAAAA in AS subjects above.

So... is it do-able?
Reply 6
Maths, Further Maths and Physics is suitable for any engineering degree unless you want something specific, i.e. Bio or Chem engineering. If you really want to take more you can but I don't think it should matter that much. As for Chemistry in a year, as long as you can do the coursework practicals then I don't see why not.
Reply 7
Original post by MrT135
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, DT and AS Economics.
So ive already decided to drop econ but I also want to drop DT as AS and take up Chemistry to A2 in one year.
In case youre wondering about my academic ability I got AAAAA in AS subjects above.

So... is it do-able?

You are asking if it is do able with AAAAA

YOU CAN ANSWER THAT!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending