The Student Room Group

Why do Americans think the 9/11 victims are heroes?

Scroll to see replies

I was under the impression that the first responders were called heroes.
Reply 21
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
They can call them what they want, innocent people dying.

Innocent people die everyday, I dont see them being branded as heroes.

Rwanda Massacre, Gaza Massacre

Nearly 1 million killed in Afghanistan/Iraq

You don't see these people being heralded as heroes. Why do americans have to be put on a pedestal for the whole world to see, really annoys me.
Original post by frankieboy
Probably this. It's similar to their obsession with "Angels". Sickly I know but there you go.

What? :confused:
Original post by john8765
Is that some sort of excuse? The people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were almost indiscriminately chosen to die by America.

Look up how many other people that japan had killed in WW2 it is certainly not lower than the deaths the atom bomb has caused. Those deaths were a necessity to stop japan from killing more innocent people.
Reply 24
well, I know for a fact that this guy was a hero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwWzjjbIISw

pretty emotional video, a good watch
Reply 25
Definition- "A person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities"

I think we can all agree that the victims showed immense courage whether that be the flight attendants on flight 11 who calmly reported which seats the terrorists were sat in and provided accurate, detailed descriptions of what happened on board. Thus enabling a better understanding of how these attrocities were carried out and therefore enabling the prevention of a similar thing being done in the future.

The passengers on flight 93 who decided to over take the plane to prevent a 4th plane being used as a missile to attack a heavily populated building.

The people in the towers who had to deal with the knowledge that they were going to die in an extremely traumatic way and never get to see their children/wives/partners etc again.

I don't think that dying automatically makes someone a hero, but i do think that finding yourself in a situation of such obvious horror takes a great amount of courage to withstand. Bravery/courage does not require you to actively seek out danger or injustice, it just requires a positive act of some sort whether that be ringing loved ones and attempting to remain calm so as to not worry them, leaving voicemails when a loved one does not pick up the phone so they can hear you say goodbye although you cannot hear the same, having to choose whether to burn/suffocate to death or jump from 100 stories up, to decide that preventing another building being hit at the obvious expense of your own life is the best decision.

All these decisions/actions had to be made by countless numbers of 9/11 victims and in my opinion i think each is equally deserving of the title!
Original post by hash007
Innocent people die everyday, I dont see them being branded as heroes.

Rwanda Massacre, Gaza Massacre

Nearly 1 million killed in Afghanistan/Iraq

You don't see these people being heralded as heroes. Why do americans have to be put on a pedestal for the whole world to see, really annoys me.

They're even bigger heroes but of course they won't get the media attention which they deserve.
Reply 27
i think its just how America wants to honour them really

but one point needed to be made..
Since 9/11, America has killed around 1.3 million civilians in Iraq alone
and never have i seen that fact displayed in the news..
i rather not imagine the figure for deaths in other countries they invaded.. :/
Reply 28
No - just saying that you shouldn't allow yourself to be drawn to the idea that America is the angel in the "war on terror"..........that is all. I cetainly don't support the idea of killing Americans.

Who said they were? However America does not tend to kill as many civilians as possible when they invade countries, despite what people think apart from a minority the American military does try to avoid collateral damage.

Is that some sort of excuse? The people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were almost indiscriminately chosen to die by America.

It was that or an invasion against an entire population being prepared for war. Even after the second bomb some Japanese generals did not want to surrender
Original post by jacob7191
Definition- "A person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities"

I think we can all agree that the victims showed immense courage whether that be the flight attendants on flight 11 who calmly reported which seats the terrorists were sat in and provided accurate, detailed descriptions of what happened on board. Thus enabling a better understanding of how these attrocities were carried out and therefore enabling the prevention of a similar thing being done in the future.

The passengers on flight 93 who decided to over take the plane to prevent a 4th plane being used as a missile to attack a heavily populated building.

The people in the towers who had to deal with the knowledge that they were going to die in an extremely traumatic way and never get to see their children/wives/partners etc again.

I don't think that dying automatically makes someone a hero, but i do think that finding yourself in a situation of such obvious horror takes a great amount of courage to withstand. Bravery/courage does not require you to actively seek out danger or injustice, it just requires a positive act of some sort whether that be ringing loved ones and attempting to remain calm so as to not worry them, leaving voicemails when a loved one does not pick up the phone so they can hear you say goodbye although you cannot hear the same, having to choose whether to burn/suffocate to death or jump from 100 stories up, to decide that preventing another building being hit at the obvious expense of your own life is the best decision.

All these decisions/actions had to be made by countless numbers of 9/11 victims and in my opinion i think each is equally deserving of the title!

This exactly! Although I would add the people in the towers and the pentagon who went UP floors to help people when they really didn't have to.
One of the site managers went up and rescued a lot of people, he had the chance to leave the building on numerous occasions but he wouldn't leave people who needed help. He died trying to help people stuck on the very top floors escape when the towers collapsed.

There are 100s of similar stories and you can read a lot of them online of people who were selfless enough and they do deserve the title of heroes but you normally hear of mainly people from the rescue services rather then everyone else.
Reply 30
if poeple want to talk about heroes and stories of living heroes

look at a place in the middle east called palestine.
where children are getting arrested for 10 years 15 years for throwing stones at israeli soldiers who hold guns, gas grenades..

look at Gaza where 1000 of innocent civilians are kept in the worlds largest prison, not aloud out

look back when israel bombed them using white phosphurus which is illegal under international law.

All im Saying is, theres plenty of heroes in our Sick world who are never remembered, never on the news papers, there is never a minute silence...
and all the above is supported by America, war on terrorism, are they for real
Reply 31
Original post by Apollo11

I too find this very saddening, especially when you think that most of the 1.3 million were probably innocent civilians :frown: However, the people in the towers were also innocent and in my opinion lives taken by the American government cannot be equated by taking the lives of innocent American civilians.

I totally agree... A life is a life, no matter what part of the world it is in... so we should remember/mourn/highlight each one... I just feel there are soo many who are forgotten
Reply 32
Original post by read_iqra
if poeple want to talk about heroes and stories of living heroes

look at a place in the middle east called palestine.
where children are getting arrested for 10 years 15 years for throwing stones at israeli soldiers who hold guns, gas grenades..

look at Gaza where 1000 of innocent civilians are kept in the worlds largest prison, not aloud out

look back when israel bombed them using white phosphurus which is illegal under international law.

All im Saying is, theres plenty of heroes in our Sick world who are never remembered, never on the news papers, there is never a minute silence...
and all the above is supported by America, war on terrorism, are they for real

No one cares about religious people because they go to heaven. If you're religious you should be happy they died because now they're in paradise with God :smile:
Original post by Aj12
NEver heard anyone call them heroes

This.

What a non-story. The OP probably knows they are rarely, if ever, referred to as 'heroes' but is making it up to stir tensions
Reply 34
Original post by sorafdfs

No one cares about religious people because they go to heaven. If you're religious you should be happy they died because now they're in paradise with God :smile:

right so if a person has belief in God,,, and he is murdered... no one should care ??
its because of people with intelligence such as yours, that characters like Hitler were born.
Reply 35

They should have a day where there is a minute silence for everyone who has even had their lives taken from them...

i Agree... beautiful thinking :smile:
Reply 36
right so if a person has belief in God,,, and he is murdered... no one should care ??
its because of people with intelligence such as yours, that characters like Hitler were born.

Not really I'm just going along with theological thinking :wink:
Reply 37
wish people would stop using 9/11 as an excuse to slag off americans. i'm sick of hearing things like this tbh
Reply 38

Not really I'm just going along with theological thinking :wink:

Its not very logical when you differentiate a value of life determined on if they have a belief of a religion
Reply 39
Its not very logical when you differentiate a value of life determined on if they have a belief of a religion

A person who follows the Abrahamic religions should not fear but embrace death. Unless your faith is wavering then you know you'll soon be in the presence of God Almighty :s-smilie:

Quick Reply