The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2012 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Limesasquatch
I know, the website sucks tbh. There isn't even that much on wikipedia lol

I have some good info somewhere that someone posted once, I've found it for you :smile: - that's already giving me more credit than I deserve. It was posted by "Hoonosewot". It's great help.

Thank you so much!! :biggrin:

Now I really want to go to Newcastle, the course sounds fantastic!

Yeah the website really isn't the greatest, I practically scoured the site looking for that info but nope there wasn't a mention. Again thank you!
Original post by RO'Gara
Thank you so much!! :biggrin:

Now I really want to go to Newcastle, the course sounds fantastic!

Yeah the website really isn't the greatest, I practically scoured the site looking for that info but nope there wasn't a mention. Again thank you!

Don't thank me, thank Hoonosewot (or w.e). :biggrin:

May I suggest you apply only if your UKCAT score is low, therefore giving me a slightly higher chance of getting in?

See, I'm a bastard really :colone:
Reply 102
Original post by Limesasquatch
Don't thank me, thank Hoonosewot (or w.e). :biggrin:

May I suggest you apply only if your UKCAT score is low, therefore giving me a slightly higher chance of getting in?

See, I'm a bastard really :colone:

Why of course, waves goodbye to dreams of studying medicine at Newcastle :frown:
lol :biggrin:

On a slightly more serious note I'm sure you'll be grand! :smile:
Reply 103
What is the Newcastle policy on resiting modules of AS and A2 during the two year period of sixth form?
Reply 104
Original post by medimike
What is the Newcastle policy on resiting modules of AS and A2 during the two year period of sixth form?

I emailed them a few months ago in attempt to find this out, it really wasn't clear from the talk at the open day and the guy doing the talk didn't really know.

This is what I got back from them about it

Newcastle University would normally expect applicants to have achieved their A Levels on their first attempt. Those who wish resits to be considered must provide information on the extenuating circumstances they wish to be considered. Supporting evidence must be provided from your school or GP.

We are not automatically informed of A level module resits. If you wish to inform us of module resits we would not consider your application.

To be honest this didn't completely clear it up for me, haha. What I took from it was that you can do resits but just don't tell them? I really don't know! The lady who emailed me back then directed me to the Admissions Policy, which isn't really that helpful in the bit talking about resits.
Do we think I would be safe applying with a score of 2800?

Thanks
Reply 106
Hey everyone!
I will be unsubscribing to this thread unfortunately (loved newcastle) as I think my ukcat avg is too low, i am sorta paranoid esp since the only other intl i know has a high avg of 740 or something and is applying here. but, GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE :smile:
Reply 107
Original post by Steerforth
Do we think I would be safe applying with a score of 2800?

Thanks

I think so, what was last years?
Reply 108
Original post by apple17
Hey everyone!
I will be unsubscribing to this thread unfortunately (loved newcastle) as I think my ukcat avg is too low, i am sorta paranoid esp since the only other intl i know has a high avg of 740 or something and is applying here. but, GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE :smile:

What was yr score if you don't mind me asking?I wish we could tell if TSR was representative of everyone applying :biggrin:
Reply 109
Original post by JessBess
What was yr score if you don't mind me asking?I wish we could tell if TSR was representative of everyone applying :biggrin:

i know. that would be awesome
Reply 110
Do Newcastle only use UKCAT when determining who to interview?

Also how/when do they use A2 predictions and do they use AS results?
Reply 111
Original post by apple17
i know. that would be awesome

Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 112
Original post by JessBess
Good luck with your application :smile:

You too! :biggrin:
Reply 113
Original post by apple17
You too! :biggrin:

Sorry, you think your average is low? :redface:

Both me and my friend applied last year with 672.5 average and both got interviews, so don't give up
Hopefully joining all of you Newcastle hopefuls! I'm a mature student on an Access to Medicine course. Luckily got a decent UKCAT (745 average), so need to play on that, so certainly applying Newcastle & Durham
Reply 115
Original post by Chufties
I emailed them a few months ago in attempt to find this out, it really wasn't clear from the talk at the open day and the guy doing the talk didn't really know.

This is what I got back from them about it

To be honest this didn't completely clear it up for me, haha. What I took from it was that you can do resits but just don't tell them? I really don't know! The lady who emailed me back then directed me to the Admissions Policy, which isn't really that helpful in the bit talking about resits.

To me, that means that if you want to do a resit, you don't put in your old grade on UCAS, you just put that that module is pending. If you do that, means that according to them, you haven't done that module yet.
Does anyone know the ratio of internationals : eu students: UK residents?

It gives basic info on their website, but I have been told not to trust those stats.
Original post by Circadian_Rhythm
690, probably wouldn't be a safe choice, who knows what the cut-off will be! I may put it down but it may be an auto-rejection :frown:

Is this true? I thought 690 would be a pretty safe bet.
Reply 118
Our UCAS had to be handed into my school today - and it was only yesterday I changed my mind about Newcastle! :/ Going with Nottingham instead - even though I didn't like it quite so much I'd kick myself if I got an immediate rejection without an opportunity for interview! (UKCAT average 680)
Hey all,

When applying to both Newcastle & Durham through UCAS, I noticed that when selecting Newcastle, it gives the choice of both campuses (and nothing when selecting Durham)

Am I right in thinking, I have to select Newcastle twice on my application, and choose each campus individually?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending