Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Salford Freshers 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by chelevi
don't know if i mis-read this or if my memory is seriously deteriorating but im sure i saw somewhere that theres no living room in the flats at EC/JL???

there isnt
but theres a few massive ones downstairs and the kitchens are big enough for a few people to hang out in - everyone just brings the stools from their flats
you'll never have the right number of stools in your kitchen :')
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Reply 41
ahh okay, it seems odd that there isnt a sort of living room area but it doesnt seem to be a problem as ive not really heard anyone complain..?
Reply 42
Salfords my first choice. Got an offer a couple days ago :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by chelevi
ahh okay, it seems odd that there isnt a sort of living room area but it doesnt seem to be a problem as ive not really heard anyone complain..?

there are thre big living rooms in the sort of lobby areas complete with wide screen tvs comfy sofas and even a pool table in one

but no its not a problem at all
theres more than enough room in the kitchens - just remind everyone to bring a stool
and in the summer everyone hangs out on the green between the two buildings and has bbqs etc
Reply 44
Hi
I'm on my first year in Salford and live in Irwell, and I don't know what people are on about with the no sleep thing? I'm not the heaviest of sleepers by far but I never have any problem sleeping!
It's cheap, and for what you're paying it's pretty good. The only thing here is the people you end up with that can end up affecting your sleeping/cleanliness, but that's obviously the same anywhere.
If you're course is going to be in Adelphi then maybe not as it'd be a trek, but for the majority of people, Irwell isn't half bad.

:smile:
Hi,
I've applied at Salford for Adult Nursing. It's my first choice and thinking Castle Irwell for accommodation. But, not sure if that's a good idea with the noise and nursing combo.
Any nurses on the course have any advice?
Reply 46
Original post by Simone.xox
I'm currently at MMU and hopefully transferring next year.
So technically I'm a fresher all over again!

why are you transferring
Reply 47
Hey, I got my offer for Journalism @ Salford today and I'm absolutely positive I wanna live there. I'm from Salford originally but moved away so know the area pretty well, but i'm definitely not sure what halls to go for!! EC/JL opinions? Nice or? I want somewhere which deffo has parties but is decent inside.. i was keen on cosmo or IQ but a couple of people seem to have suggested they're not party places?! help!!
Reply 48
Original post by SuperheroSam
Hi,
I've applied at Salford for Adult Nursing. It's my first choice and thinking Castle Irwell for accommodation. But, not sure if that's a good idea with the noise and nursing combo.
Any nurses on the course have any advice?

from the salford accomidation website:

We place nursing students together as study and work patterns usually involve shifts and longer contracts. Most nursing students require a 52 week contract. There are a small number of courses starting in March if we have rooms available at that time we will pleased to offer you accommodation.*

if all your flatmates are nurses then then there mire likely to keep the noise down and be considerate of the hours your working think they put the nurses in the irwell flats. could always ask glfor quiet accomidation if you think its going to be a concern
Original post by Aaron87
why are you transferring

I really hated MMU.
Just was't happy with the course or the teaching.
Reply 50
Just throwing this out there, are any LGBT's joining?
I'm a lesbian you see...don't want to be (quoting little Britain) "The only gay in the village" haha
Reply 51
Original post by aaamy
Hey, I got my offer for Journalism @ Salford today and I'm absolutely positive I wanna live there. I'm from Salford originally but moved away so know the area pretty well, but i'm definitely not sure what halls to go for!! EC/JL opinions? Nice or? I want somewhere which deffo has parties but is decent inside.. i was keen on cosmo or IQ but a couple of people seem to have suggested they're not party places?! help!!

EC/JL are the best in my opinion
i lived there for 2 yrs and will be goin back after my year abroad...
its the best for distance/nightlife/noise/etc
cosmo and iq are expensive
read the rest of the thread for more detail on ec/jl
I've applied for music, this is looking like my insurance :smile:
Reply 53
I got my offer today so no longer living in doubt. definitely considering jl/ec seems to have the perfect in-between vibe from what ive heard :biggrin: anyone else doing tv & radio?
Interview/audition for music. Not sure if I'll take it.
Reply 55
Original post by k3ro
Castle Irwell - probably has the best social life but.. I wouldn't call it clean haha. Irwell has parties a lot and so if you're into that scene and don't care about the cleanliness of the place then you'll be fine. I know of people who often have nights where it's too loud to sleep properly and people seem to set the fire alarms off a lot.. So ear plugs might also be a good investment.

John Lester/Eddie Colman - this is where I live, and it's pretty awesome. It has a good social side because there are rooms downstairs where people can chill, and during freshers week etc there was always a lot of people downstairs recruiting people to go out drinking/clubbing. It's not as noisy as Castle Irwell either so you can sleep easy. The walls seem pretty thick; i can't really hear anyone from the neighbouring rooms. It's also awesome because although not on campus, you can leave 10mins before lecture starts and still get there on time.

Horlock - on campus. haven't been inside, but I think people get stuff stolen quite a lot. it also looks.. not that great. so you might wanna visit this one before choosing it. :tongue:

Constantine - i don't know much about this one.. It's on-campus and ensuite so that'd be pretty sweet. It's close to Horlock though so idk how much that influences it. But I can see it being quieter.

Bramall - don't know much about this one either. Seems similar to JL/EC but is the opposite direction from uni. I think it's quieter than JL though. And when I visited it, it looked pretty bad. :s-smilie: Dirty etc. JL/EC are new so are clean and modern but Bramall looked like it was crumbling haha.

IQ - expensive but looks really awesome and has a good social life. If you can afford it and don't mind the extra walking to the uni it's probably a good place to go.

I think I covered them all... Feel free to quote or inbox me if you need anything else.

About the accommodation - look above.

By student life do you mean specifically the night life etc? How can it be dead?! Salford is on the outskirts of Manchester which is one of the best places for a night out...

Salford has a couple of decent pubs but for proper nights out we always get the train. It's literally only 3-4minutes train journey and the trains to Manchester are really frequent. Manc has awesome clubs and stuff so it makes for a great night out. Get a taxi home and split the cost between your friends and it isn't expensive.

Feel free to inbox/quote me if you want to know anything else.

This is literally the perfect post for freshers looking at accomm <3
Reply 56
I would completely reccommend iQ as a place to live. It's really friendly, safe and lively. All of the flats are being refurbished over the summer, and it is by far already the nicest of the accommodations! I do not reccommend jl/ec at all.. My best friend lives there and spends most of her time on my floor as it is grimey and the lack of common space in each flat means that it is extremely unsociable.
Joining Salford in September I hope, but living in Manchester, Mill Point halls to be precise, hope its not too much of a problem getting to uni everyday!
Original post by jackf1337
Interview/audition for music. Not sure if I'll take it.

I wouldn't.
Original post by lonelykatana
I wouldn't.

Tell me more.

Quick Reply