The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Does Lancaster Uni have a good nightlife?

Scroll to see replies

The clubs are decent.. and there's a great atmosphere on campus.

From what I've experienced as a fresher:

Flat parties for pre drinking is great fun.
Short bus journeys (10 mins max) in to town while drunk is fun.
The clubs aren't world quality, but the sugarhouse is decent for a student union club.
If you get drunk enough, you'll have a great time.

The busses run every 20 minutes and the journey itself is 10 mins. There are loads of shops in the town centre (and a massive sainsbury's) as well as a SPAR (which has a lot in it) and Co-op (Central) on campus, with some other small shops like a Greggs.

Overall, Lancaster is great :biggrin:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
A bit off topic but I've been wondering... Since when do you have to tell the porters you're gonna have a flat party? I never heard of it before but the last two times porters showed up telling us that we have to let them know if we wanna have a party. And one of those times we were having a dinner with about 10 other people and a porter showed up telling us that we have to be done by half 10. What the ****?
Reply 42
Original post by RabbitCFH
A bit off topic but I've been wondering... Since when do you have to tell the porters you're gonna have a flat party? I never heard of it before but the last two times porters showed up telling us that we have to let them know if we wanna have a party. And one of those times we were having a dinner with about 10 other people and a porter showed up telling us that we have to be done by half 10. What the ****?

In the agreement :P Yeah, they dont let anyone have parties so you just have to hope they dont find out. Discover who's telling them and threaten them with evils.
Reply 43
The rural aspect of the university is actually one of the things that's seriously tempting me. I dislike cities. Love hiking, outdoors, country sports, wildlife etc...

I'd take it over a city university any day.
Original post by Matty707
I'm from Pembrokeshire so nightlife is guaranteed to be better in Lancaster but what about in neighbouring towns and cities? because I remember them saying they did do nights out to Manchester and stuff...
Also what can you do during the day on campus? and off campus what is there to do near by?
(such as football matches nearby and things of the sort, is it easy enough to access?)

Hi mate

yeh nightlife is good. it might change in october but currently mondays is elements/dalton, tuesdays revolution, weds sugar, thursday revolution/hustle, friday elements/sugar saturday sugar/revolution and sunday is lounge/albert

Each college has at least one social in manchester/liverpool a year. I went on lonsdale's social to liverpool and to my own college's social to manchester. they normally cost £8 ish a ticket, bus there at 9pm and home at 3amish, with free entry to the club.

on campus during the day... well restaurants like pizzetta and the burger bar do deals, theres the library, on campus cinema which only cost £2, and then societies stuff, sports teams stuff, the brand new sports centre / gym (which is immense!). if you're into football, try the uni team, if not then college teams which are much more laid back. morecambe fc (league 2) is a 25 min bus ride away, otherwise liverpool or manchester or wigan are your nearest bets, all about an hourish away by train. to go shopping lancaster city centre has all the basics really (sainsbury's home bargains topman river island next mcdonalds bhs), and lots of pubs and bars. or you can shop in manchester arndale or liverpool the one only an hour away.
Reply 45
For its size Lancaster has a really good nightlife! I have been to many other towns which are even bigger than Lancaster but lack variety in social life. Anyone who thinks Lancaster will have a bad nightlife will be in for a surprise!!
Reply 46
Quick question ladies and gents. I'm at a house party in Lancaster Saturday night and if it ends up going out round Lancaster, where can I get in that's decent with trainers on?
Reply 47
Original post by Dessie
Quick question ladies and gents. I'm at a house party in Lancaster Saturday night and if it ends up going out round Lancaster, where can I get in that's decent with trainers on?

Elements probably.
Reply 48
Original post by Dessie

Anywhere, dress code isn't exactly smart in Lancaster
Reply 49
Original post by Davott
Anywhere, dress code isn't exactly smart in Lancaster

I got warned at Hustle (bouncer with the beard) about wearing trainers on a saturday night.

The same guy has seen me in like 15 times on monday nights this year with the same shoes and not batted an eye.
Reply 50
Original post by Manitude
I got warned at Hustle (bouncer with the beard) about wearing trainers on a saturday night.

The same guy has seen me in like 15 times on monday nights this year with the same shoes and not batted an eye.

Go into Hustle in anything but trainers and your in for ruining a good pair of shoes.

Did laugh at the Hustle bouncer that looks like Ian Holloway though (blackpool manager).
Reply 51
Original post by Davott
Go into Hustle in anything but trainers and your in for ruining a good pair of shoes.

Did laugh at the Hustle bouncer that looks like Ian Holloway though (blackpool manager).

Oh god he does :p:

I may have gone into Hustle wearing formal shoes at some point, I went through a phase last year of wearing them day in, day out. They are super comfortable now the leather has softened up :biggrin:

I've almost certainly also worn hiking boots, which can stand up to even Hustle's floor!
Reply 52
I remember very little from my one visit to the Carleton back in 2010.
yeah bro maul it
Original post by Swanbow
Lancaster has good but not great nightlife. Sugarhouse, Hustle, Revolution are all semi-decent places. Personally I prefer getting wasted in a pub first and then going out as the main night clubs, Toast and Elements are terrible.[/Qtalk **** pal

Quick Reply

Latest