The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RunningHam
Hmmm.. maybe. I was quite worried that I wouldn't get one anywhere. But luckily that's not been the case. Where's your favourite place?

Goldsmiths I think, Wimbledon's a close 2nd. Leeds is probably my 4th choice :redface: Where are you hoping to go?
Ooo very nice! I have an interview at Kingston on Monday, so I'm really hoping that goes well. :redface: If not, I have an offer at Winchester (which I really liked). I think Leeds comes after those two.
Ooo very nice! I have an interview at Kingston on Monday, so I'm really hoping that goes well. :redface: If not, I have an offer at Winchester (which I really liked). I think Leeds comes after those two.

Oh good luck! Someone from my foundation went to Kingston and really loves it. Is it bad I had to Google where Winchester was? Geography fail.:colondollar:
Original post by cocacola123
Have you already heard back from brighton? I applied for painting but haven't heard since submitting my Flickr.

Erm yes i got an interview for painting at brighton about a week ago! But don't worry i know a few people that had completely different deadlines for submitting their online portfolios and for the same course, one of my friends deadline was after i got my interview, i think they are doing it in batches! good luck :smile: im nervous!
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
Oh good luck! Someone from my foundation went to Kingston and really loves it. Is it bad I had to Google where Winchester was? Geography fail.:colondollar:

Oooo. That's promising! Don't worry, I had no idea where is was either. (Google for the maps for the win.) Good luck for Goldsmiths! :smile:

Goodness, good luck! I'm on the foundation course at Kingston, so let me know if you'd like me to come find you and show you around Avionics (the fine art building for foundation/first years). :tongue: Although you've probably already seen it, but yeah. Since I'm around all the time anyway. :biggrin:
Original post by Princeling
Goodness, good luck! I'm on the foundation course at Kingston, so let me know if you'd like me to come find you and show you around Avionics (the fine art building for foundation/first years). :tongue: Although you've probably already seen it, but yeah. Since I'm around all the time anyway. :biggrin:

Aw thank you! That's so nice! I have been around on an open day, and I liked what I saw. (Although I never got to see around the studios for first years.) Seeing as you go there, can I ask what you think of it? As a place to live and a department? :smile:
Hey guys, I've got an interview for Camberwell foundation on the 7th March, and I've heard that they won't actually see you, just the portfolio? On that note, does anyone know how they feel about those folders with plastic sleeves? I've been told I have to rearrange my sketchbook, to make it more like a 'narrative'. I've not done Art for A-Level if that counts for anything.

Thanks and good luck to everyone! Now just have to get 10 final pieces done in 9 days...
Aw thank you! That's so nice! I have been around on an open day, and I liked what I saw. (Although I never got to see around the studios for first years.) Seeing as you go there, can I ask what you think of it? As a place to live and a department? :smile:

No problem. ;D When are you coming in for the interview? I'll actually probably catch sight of you anyway, as I know you will just be waiting in the main building area, I think.

Kingston is a pretty nice place to live. Suburban but big enough to have all the main shops, if y'know what I mean. So a pretty nice high street with all the main brands, and also smaller shops, with its own aesthetic and nice green atmosphere. There's a big park where people bring their dogs/play football/stroll/do exercise, etc. Wilkinson's = all your art supplies needed, haha. And Pullinger's. I live right next to Knight's Park Campus (Middle Mill Hall) = great location, literally 5 minutes away. Plus Kingston is only 30 minutes away from London, and it's nice to be close but still have a family/suburban kind of atmosphere, I guess. It's a bit like having the best of both worlds (and there are sufficient clubs and bars as well! Nightlife not bad, tons of people drunk at night though so you have to be careful, it's a bit like a uni town at night).

And we have the Knight's Park SU bar which is great, and the facilities, especially the 3D workshop = amazing. Some people say the Kingston building looks like a prison... frankly, I don't see the comparison, and it's all clean and nice as you should have seen from the open day. :tongue: I can't tell you too much about the BA course because I applied there (but rejected the early offer) but it's kind of my last choice because I really, really want to be in London. Quality of people's work depends on the random quality of your year, but the studio spaces are nice enough also! Also, our new library just opened and it is BEAUTIFUL and so convenient. :smile: And in general Kingston is a pretty friendly community and you shouldn't have any difficulty making friends just by hanging by the bar or in the studio at night, etc.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions~ :wink:
Reply 1049

Hey! What have you applied for at Kingston?
sent my portfolio for fine art agessss ago, havent heard a thing!
does anyone buy rolls of canvas off the internet?
Original post by sarinda.devine
Erm yes i got an interview for painting at brighton about a week ago! But don't worry i know a few people that had completely different deadlines for submitting their online portfolios and for the same course, one of my friends deadline was after i got my interview, i think they are doing it in batches! good luck :smile: im nervous!

oh okay, well i hope so! My deadline was february the 14th, when was yours? Thank you and good luck with your interview too!
Original post by kaylafrances

To my annoyance, I seem to have failed to save the name of the ebay shop I used to keep my son supplied with canvases through, but you'll find lots of bargains on ebay. Quickdraw Supplies is pretty good, and if you're the kind of artist who does photography and you want to get them printed and mounted on canvas, a seller called bejbid does a brilliant job and is the cheapest I know of anywhere.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
To my annoyance, I seem to have failed to save the name of the ebay shop I used to keep my son supplied with canvases through, but you'll find lots of bargains on ebay. Quickdraw Supplies is pretty good, and if you're the kind of artist who does photography and you want to get them printed and mounted on canvas, a seller called bejbid does a brilliant job and is the cheapest I know of anywhere.

I was just looking for a roll of canvas (to stretch myself) just to have and use over quite a long period of time since i havent done much canvas painting lately and i'm hoping to do it for my FMP maybe. http://www.artsupplies.co.uk/item-canvas-rolls.htm
I found that one, the £54 one. Would you say it's good value? I know cowling and wilcox sell canvas by the metre at £10, so it's a bit better than that.
I was just looking for a roll of canvas (to stretch myself) just to have and use over quite a long period of time since i havent done much canvas painting lately and i'm hoping to do it for my FMP maybe. http://www.artsupplies.co.uk/item-canvas-rolls.htm
I found that one, the £54 one. Would you say it's good value? I know cowling and wilcox sell canvas by the metre at £10, so it's a bit better than that.

Well, it's not really my area, but I've found the Loxley 10m one on ebay for £96 incl postage. The one you're interested in is £61.79, incl postage, so you've probably done well there.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Well, it's not really my area, but I've found the Loxley 10m one on ebay for £96 incl postage. The one you're interested in is £61.79, incl postage, so you've probably done well there.

Ah ok, thanks so much anyway :smile:

Hey, my mums an artist so she buys canvas in bulk, because i've started using it more we have had to do get more... she says this is the best place

http://www.russellandchapple.co.uk/fabric/artists_items.asp?area=Fabric&group=Artists'%20Canvas&subgroup=Unprimed%20Cotton&down=2

there are lots of different kinds, we got some of the cheapest one for me and its great! 2.92 per metre.
Original post by sarinda.devine
Hey, my mums an artist so she buys canvas in bulk, because i've started using it more we have had to do get more... she says this is the best place

http://www.russellandchapple.co.uk/fabric/artists_items.asp?area=Fabric&group=Artists'%20Canvas&subgroup=Unprimed%20Cotton&down=2

there are lots of different kinds, we got some of the cheapest one for me and its great! 2.92 per metre.

uh oh too late
next time :smile:
Could people who have had their Wimbledon interviews already, please let me know if your interview was on time or if there was a wait, and how long you actually spent at the college from the time of your interview to when you left?

It's just that my interview is at 10.40 but my train gets there at 10.28 which is cutting it short but I could get a taxi straight from the station so will arrive on time. I like to be early normally but 10.28 is the cheapest option and I really wouldn't want to wait around for ages either if it could be helped.

Replies would be really really helpful!! :smile:
Original post by kindkydinky
Could people who have had their Wimbledon interviews already, please let me know if your interview was on time or if there was a wait, and how long you actually spent at the college from the time of your interview to when you left?

It's just that my interview is at 10.40 but my train gets there at 10.28 which is cutting it short but I could get a taxi straight from the station so will arrive on time. I like to be early normally but 10.28 is the cheapest option and I really wouldn't want to wait around for ages either if it could be helped.

Replies would be really really helpful!! :smile:

They were 30 minutes late for mine, but I was the very last. I think I got there about 4.30 (interview was at 4.40) and I didn't leave until about 5.20.

Quick Reply

Latest