The Student Room Group

Linkedin - useful tool or waste of time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by babygirl110
Unfortunately I am in the 20's :frown:.

Yes, 45k would be a dream come true, too good to be true which is why the only thing I can do is ring him and ask him why he sent me the linkedin mail. The job is way beyond my experience, it would take me a minimum of two years to get there.

really? so wait, he sent you an email after seeing your profile implying the wage would be 45k? you turn up and find that you want be on 45k for another two years? and in the mean time you are on peanuts? omg, if thats true that is bad of the company :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by President_Ben
45k is pocket change people.

If you people saw what I've seen in my linkedin...

:eek:
what have you seen in your linkedin?
Reply 22
It's good for you once you are in a management role or work in an industry or job that requires a lot of contacts to get ahead.

I use it, not really active on it but it does get you noticed in a better way than Facebook does.... every other week without fail someone will try to headhunt me whether by an actual job offer or an invitation for interview.

My entire MBA class is on there, we also have discussion groups on there with regard to our studies. Every now and then someone will leave some hints on a good deal.
Original post by arbaaz
really? so wait, he sent you an email after seeing your profile implying the wage would be 45k? you turn up and find that you want be on 45k for another two years? and in the mean time you are on peanuts? omg, if thats true that is bad of the company :frown:

Exactly. He sent me the job profile and asked me to give him a call. When I read the Person Spec and Job Description, I knew I'd be out of my depth.

Well, he was a recruitment consultant and I don't trust recruitment consultants anyway. For all I know, he just wanted to talk to me just so he can get information about my role and the company I currently work for. Recruitment consultants use all sorts of tactics to find out about companies as they are potential clients!
Reply 24
Exactly. He sent me the job profile and asked me to give him a call. When I read the Person Spec and Job Description, I knew I'd be out of my depth.

Well, he was a recruitment consultant and I don't trust recruitment consultants anyway. For all I know, he just wanted to talk to me just so he can get information about my role and the company I currently work for. Recruitment consultants use all sorts of tactics to find out about companies as they are potential clients!

best of luck for the future tho! :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by President_Ben
45k is pocket change people.

If you people saw what I've seen in my linkedin...

Agreed.

I started this thread aimed at S&T and IBD folks. It has attracted the usual TSR £40k crowd.
Original post by gangst
Agreed.

I started this thread aimed at S&T and IBD folks. It has attracted the usual TSR £40k crowd.

Oh sorry, I should have looked, I thought it was just general careers thread. Maybe you need to add something about Traders and Investment Bankers in the title and that will filter out us Plebeians!

Anyway, I will make this my last post :smile:.
Original post by gangst
Agreed.

Indeed. £45 is just basic grad salary. Actual mandates are quite a lot more... enticing.
Reply 28
Good tool, those who say it isnt, cant use it.
Got me on an Asset Management grad scheme....

Helping me to continue networking with School/University Alumni to open further doors.
Reply 30
can i just ask, for those of who say its useful or have personally got job offers from using this site have you actually become premium members of the site or do you just use a basic account because im currently evaluating weather i should get the premium account or not.
Basic account.
Original post by ali7861012
can i just ask, for those of who say its useful or have personally got job offers from using this site have you actually become premium members of the site or do you just use a basic account because im currently evaluating weather i should get the premium account or not.

Basic account but when I first joined, they repeatedly emailed me offers for month-long trials of any premium account. It's a trick to get you to sign on to an expensive subscription though as they do not notify you when the trial is about to run out, you have to personally notify them and cancel it. It could work if you plan on opening a premium account, do a month of focused networking and job applications, then cancel the subscription before they charge for the next month.

As you continue in your job you will find that headhunters will repeatedly contact you with roles that patently you do not fit the description for. I know it's annoying but learn which headhunters are and are not worth listening to and withdraw from contact with the latter group.

Basic.
Original post by crafty bison
As you continue in your job you will find that headhunters will repeatedly contact you with roles that patently you do not fit the description for. I know it's annoying but learn which headhunters are and are not worth listening to and withdraw from contact with the latter group.

But as you really continue in your career, you only get reached by people who really are interested in you.
Reply 36

I mean, I used/use the German linkedin equivalent, but for my efforts I used the premium version.
Reply 37
Very, very useful.
Reply 38
Original post by arbaaz
what have you seen in your linkedin?

You would sh** bricks if you saw what he saw on his linked in......
A couple of my friends are recruitment consultants and they say its the most useful tool for their jobs. I've also been invited to a couple of interviews for jobs in my industry purely based on the details on my linkedin profile (which is basically a public CV). What's not useful about not having to send your CVs via post or email to loads of companies, when they can come and get you potentially? For me it's a win win really. I would say though, that its probably only useful for people who already work in a specific industry (with specific work experience and professional interests) i.e. something consultants and employers can use to target potential candidates.

I'd say based on my experiences that it is a very useful tool. What is there to lose really?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending